Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2009, 05:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Can my pump do this?

So, I've got a CPX-Pro, in a loop with a MCR320 and GTZ. My load temps are about 65 degrees with the space heater C0 I've got. I recently picked up a D-Tek Fuzion GPU block, which looks to be a low flow-restriction block like the GTZ. I want to put this on my GTX285, and I happen to have a Black Ice Stealth 240 on the bench and room to mount it in the Cosmos S. I think I might need the 2nd rad in the loop to keep my core temps in my comfort range.

My loop would look like this:

Res>Pump>320 rad>CPU>GPU>240 rad>Res although I could also put the 240 rad in front of the GPU.

Do you think that CPX-Pro can push enough water through the loop? I use 1/2" ID tubing, BTW. Or should I be keeping my eyes open for a 355/655?
Old June 6, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Original Fuzion GPU or the V2 block? The first is pretty brutally restrictive, actually, while the second is only half as restrictive.

The CPX-Pro is better than a lot of people give it credit for, actually. Plugging in a few numbers in Martin's flowrate estimator, you should be okay, even with the GPU block. But the second radiator might be worth considering, especially if you use the rig for folding.
Old June 6, 2009, 06:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry, it's a GFX 2, which should be the 2nd rev. And I do fold, that's why I was thinking of the 2nd rad. Most games only load my CPU to 30-40%.

Got a link for that estimator? I'd like to play with it myself.

Edit: found it. But I don't have Excel at home. Did it show more that 1 GPM with everything in the loop?
Old June 6, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

I had to approximate a few parts (i.e. used a pair of Swiftech duals to simulate a Stealth 240), and I used the original Fuzion GFX, but was still getting about 1.1gpm. So you should be just fine.
Old June 6, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sounds like the suicide run I'm doing right now. Just added an EK-FC4870x2 and a really old BIX320 to my already crammed loop. I'm planning on getting another pump anyways, but hopefully this one can run it fine. If everything is up and running when I try to turn it on, I'll let you know what I'm getting. So far looking as the res(leak testing), it seems to be doing about fine though.

*EDIT*
My computer is back in action. This pump is still chugging away with everything in my loop, and I'm using a pretty restrictive CPU block.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Last edited by Lpfan4ever; June 7, 2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old June 7, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, a bit of an update for you SugarJ. I've got the loop in my sig and water seems to be circulating without much of a problem. Temps are good, I'd stay this is a tough pump.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 7, 2009, 10:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the followup lp. I didn't quite get time to redo my loop this weekend, the wife had other plans for me. I'm going to give it a go sometime this week though. I remember being very impressed with the flow rate when I bought my 1st CPX-Pro, and my EK res has a whirlpool in the top 8" away from the inlet, so I think it will do ok on the flow rate. Now, my next problem is to see whether I've got enough tubing on hand.
Old June 10, 2009, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can vouch for the CPX pro, very powerful little pump. But heard horror stories about its impeller.

It should be still above 1 GPM with alright pressure. You can treat it as a MCP355 but slightly better.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old June 10, 2009, 12:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I know about the impeller issues, that's why I'm on my second one. Just wasn't sure about how much it could push. Still haven't had time to put the 2nd block and rad in the loop, I do need some more tubing.