Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 24, 2009, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post
say, could I get some good tubing at Home Depot? Other sites are giving Shipping and Handling that cost more than the tubing itself
That's hard to believe... are you live at North Pole or buying 1ft only?
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old June 24, 2009, 06:43 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
say, could I get some good tubing at Home Depot? Other sites are giving Shipping and Handling that cost more than the tubing itself
You could... however its going to be standard PVC tubing and to be honest it doesn't usually bend as easy or look any where near as nice. Plus cheap tubing has a tendency to become cloudy after time.

If I was you I would just try and order everything from one spot, I managed to get a good bulk of my parts from performance-pcs and NCIX, and by browsing the Buy & Sell here.

You should be able to get that res, tubing and barbs all from NCIX. Just do one big order to save on shipping or do the gift card trick! And just price match if you can get it cheaper else where. (Purchase a $10 gift card at NCIX and get free ground shipping on your entire order then you still get to use the gift card later Almost as good as free shipping LINK)

EDIT: Nevermind it seems the Free Gift card thing isn't working right now... but ive done it before, it comes and goes

Last edited by Akai; June 24, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old June 24, 2009, 09:06 PM
Top Prospect

So I got everything ordered, everything's fine.

So, about the loop (single loop, correct?). I want to visualize, I get how it works, and any setup problems I could figure out or ask on the internet.

So how's the order go?

res-->Rad-->cpu-->gpu

where does the pump fit in? I could figure it out when the stuff comes but I might as well have a better mental image of how it works.
Old June 24, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

REZ>PUMP>rad>cpu>gpu
Old June 26, 2009, 09:39 PM
Top Prospect

so with the rad, I put the fittings in it, connect the tubes and just have it flow? the ends don't matter? I wondered this, how does it cool the water lol? the rims absorb heat right?
Old June 27, 2009, 07:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Direction of flow doesn't matter, there are channels that basically loop around from one fitting to the other, this water sheds it's heat from the channels into the fins and the air blown by the fans removes it from the fins.

Plumb it up whichever way is neater/easier.
Old June 27, 2009, 10:51 PM
Top Prospect

how much Distilled Water would I need? I will just use some funnel to fill it I guess...

And how do I drain it? (I'm supposed to do this yearly right? Or when I replace Hardware).
Old June 27, 2009, 11:38 PM
MVP

Buy a 2L jug of distilled and you'll have plenty. I'd be suprised if you used half. You can drain it via the reservior, or simply pull a component out of the case and pull the hose off (over top of a bucket of course).
Old June 28, 2009, 09:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

2L will be fine to fill, maybe get a bit extra for leak testing(first time is a bitch).
Old June 28, 2009, 10:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
how much Distilled Water would I need? I will just use some funnel to fill it I guess...

And how do I drain it? (I'm supposed to do this yearly right? Or when I replace Hardware).
I tear down my loop every 6 months, by then your rad will probably need a good cleaning. Depending on the fluid your components might need a thorough cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton

Tags
attempt , block , cooling , firts , water