Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2009, 11:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

The list is looking good, I'd say. If you don't have any, maybe grab a pair of el cheapo pliers to tighten the fittings with. Finger-tight is just fine 99% of the time, but it's always good to give each fitting an extra 1/4 twist to make sure it doesn't work loose while you're pushing the tubing on.
Old June 11, 2009, 03:04 PM
Top Prospect

when testing the loop, can I test it not in a case? Like just laying on the floor? Oh and you know my tubing? Is there a clear version of that exact tubing? Thanks.
Old June 12, 2009, 05:46 PM
Top Prospect

bumpa
Old June 12, 2009, 06:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, you can test it outside of the case. I wouldn't suggest laying it on carpet though. As for tubing, I don't recall what you linked, but I've used the Masterkleer and Primochill (in UV Red and Black), and I'd recommend the Primochill.
Old June 12, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

I test inside the case, but I power pump with external power supply.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old June 12, 2009, 09:10 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
I test inside the case, but I power pump with external power supply.
but if there ARE leeks, won't that brake my hardware? Water can't be good for electronics

As for clear tubing, how's this?

NCIX.com - Buy Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT Clear 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing (10 Feet) - PFLEXP10-34 In Canada.

And what rad?

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

Oh and on my list, how much of each do I need? (Like barbs, clamps, etc.)

Last edited by Z Overlord; June 12, 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old June 12, 2009, 10:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post
but if there ARE leeks, won't that brake my hardware? Water can't be good for electronics
Your right water is not good for electronics. But if the electronics is not on the there is no harm. Just clean it up and let it dry out for a few days if you leak all over anything and try again. Leak testing outside the case is kind of useless because everything will loosen up on you when you go to put it in the case after testing and thus causing a leak. So what you use is a cheap power supply, cut the green and black wire that are next to each other on the part that plugs into a motherboard. Twist them together after stripping the ends and tape them together using electrical tape. Please do not plug it into a motherboard...ever. This will be your leak testing PSU from now on. I use a craptacular 300watt PSU from some old IBM system. When you plug this into a wall it will automatically be on. So plug in your pumps and fans on your rad and then plug it into a wall. Make sure as well that there is always fluid going to the pump. Shut off and on the PSU as needed. I like mine because it has a switch on it to turn it off and on and is great for leak testing (if you have no switch just unplug at the wall). I fill it up a little, turn on the power for a sec and then turn it off again and fill some more. Keep going till it's all full. Here is some pics of the leak testing PSU.

Q9650 @ 4.05 Ghz (9x450) / 4 GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix @ 1800 Mhz / 3870X2 / Ultra X3 1000/Maximus Extreme X38 / Thermaltake Xaser VI custom watercooled with black powdercoat. Click above for pic!
San Ace Awesomeness!
San Ace Awesomeness Part II!

Last edited by Sadasius; June 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Took some pics as examples!
Old June 12, 2009, 10:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah everyone thinks water + electronics is bad. If there is any electricity this is very true. I hooked up my loop inside my case and powered it from another computer's PSU. You could do it externally too. It'd be a good way to test each part if you're concerned.
Old June 13, 2009, 01:47 PM
Top Prospect

I see what you did there with the black and green wires, but what do you do with it?

Oh and what of this?

NCIX.com - Buy Logisys CLK12UV2 Dual UV Cold Cathode Kit 12IN 3.0MM - CLK12UV2 In Canada.

Some guy told me to get them.
Old June 13, 2009, 02:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, I saved a buddies laptop when he poured a glass of water on it.. I turned it over fast and yanked the battery out, no damage at all once it dried!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.

Tags
attempt , block , cooling , firts , water