Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5, 2009, 11:31 AM
MVP

Default First Phase Cooling setup

Thought I would share my first attempt at setting up Phase Cooling. Chilling unit is a VapoChill LS. Goal - 24/7 operation.

Supplies -

Kneaded Rubber Eraser

Neoprene Rubber

Closed Cell Foam

Installing the kneaded rubber eraser.

Finished on front side...doesn't look pretty. But as long as it does the job

Back Side.

VapoChill LS attached to case.

Head installed...took about 5-6 pieces of neoprene in the head of the cooling unit to previde good pressure on cpu.

Messy wires...but this is just the testing for condensation phase.

Cpu temp on a Q6600 @ stock speeds.

Have been overclocking to 4.0GHz and currently checking for stability. I do not expect a very high overclock with current parts...as 3.2 Ghz on air was all this system was ever intended to do.

It sure has been fun playing with this

Sitting on the sideline is a 920D0...just waiting for the LGA1366 Socket adpater to show up.
Can anyone recommend a good temp sensor/gauge. The one on the VapoChill has been modded ...so that the monitoring system is no longer working.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old July 23, 2009, 04:47 AM
Rookie

Hey very nice man !
I myself have a phase change cooler too.
Mine's a Mach II GT though but hey its basically the same right !
I got a cheap E4300 at 3.7 which to me is not much for a phase change unit.
Its 1.8 stock...
How much did you pay your unit?
I tell you if you ever want to fit your whole setup in a single case go for something like a Lian-Li PCV2000 or a Tagan Black Pearl.
Here's my setup.

The unit fits very nicely at the bottom.

And here's everything nicely closed up

Let me know when you got it closed up to see how nice it looks :)

Oh BTW leave it on 24/7 during the winter and dont put any heat in your house.
Mine heats up my place (Though its a little 3 1/2) but it will show on your electric bill.
You are lucky that the Vapochill is still supported and that you may get a LGA1366 Socket adapter, for me I will probably have to come up with something on my own unless a miracle happens and an adapter is released for the MIIGT.
Haven't put too much thought into it yet though since I don't have the money to buy new hardware anyways lol...

Last edited by Schwarz; July 23, 2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old July 23, 2009, 05:49 AM
MVP

HI Shwarz....
Looks good! Hold on...is that Phase Change in the case? Or attached to the bottom?

What do you manage to get for an overclock...your not running it at stock speeds? I've got the i920 D0 up and running for the last month...max oc 4.850Ghz 231BCLK (could oc more...just gotta tweak it some more). The VapoChill can't handle the chip at 100%. But it does fine for benching and gaming. It is nice to overclock the hell out of the CPU...and not worry about temps.
Room the system sits in...gets to 28C on average...and to 30-31C on a hot muggy day.

Case your looking for an adapter kit ..I got mine over here Cooler Express Super Single Evaporator Core i7 LGA1366 Socket Kit. I had to drummel out the foam part to fit the head on the VapoChill.

As for price on the unit...I got one used for $450US...with exchange and duty at the border...approx $550Cnd plus about $200 for the 1366 kit. Not bad...considering a new one cost about $1200 Cnd.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

Old July 23, 2009, 02:07 PM
Rookie

WOW you got your unit for cheap like half the price i paid mine a few years back.
Right now im running a core 2 duo e4300 @ 3.7 (Stock 1.8GHz)
I also did run a Pentium D 805 2.66 at 4.1GHz a few years ago. (BTW that got me to win an overclocking contest on the Tagan website and I got the power supply thats in there right now, the 900W.)
Those machines are little beasts !
And thanks A LOT for the mounting kit link.
As far as your question, what I did is take my Mach II GT and mount it at the bottom of the Tagan Black Pearl.
It wasnt too hard.
I know those are very cheap procies... at some point I will have to invest once again in my computer :p
My money use to go all the way into my rig but you know sometimes life doesnèt want you to just think about your PC, damn you responsibilities !!! :p
Anyways nice build man ! I always like to see phase change users on forums, we are special !! hehe
Old July 29, 2009, 09:57 PM
Rookie

how hard is this to setup? i was thinking of doing this later down the road
Old July 30, 2009, 10:10 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwoodz View Post
how hard is this to setup? i was thinking of doing this later down the road
Not hard overall...there is a some work in prep'n the MB against condensation.

The hardest part I found was finding a phase unit in canada. I am sure there are plenty used ones for sale...just finding one takes time. Or a new one here Kit-Tronics*::*VapoChill

Old October 6, 2009, 02:08 PM

My System Specs

thread being raised from the dead! Do people not use dialectic grease anymore?
Old October 6, 2009, 05:30 PM
MVP

Some do Low...but I heard it is a real bitch to clean up. So they have gone off it.... Vaseline seems to work pretty good. Easier to clean up....I discovered using gun cleaner to remove the Vaseline from the cpu socket, works extremely well.

I also started using painters tape. I tape along the sides of the cpu socket (i'll post a pic later). I found when putting the cpu in the socket, and then clamping it down. Some grease would ooze out (eventually)...mix with the rubber eraser. Big goopy mess then...it turns the eraser in the area. Something like heated gum..gets all sticky goo'y. Guessing the oil in the vaseline virtually melts the eraser.

Last edited by LionRed; October 6, 2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old October 6, 2009, 09:33 PM

My System Specs

So you are using vaseline in your cpu socket? I found the insulation guide on XS, and they state that grease really is only needed on cascades and such.
Old October 7, 2009, 04:28 AM
MVP

It is up to you, it gets cold in that socket..condensation will form (over time who knows). I use to dread cleaning it out, if I ever needed to RMA MB or switching back to air. But cleaning it out now is sooooo easy with a can of gun cleaner. It cleans it out and leaves virtually no residual, does not strip anythng off the board...only cleans the Vaseline out. If you decide to try it, I suggest using the cleaner outside and hold the MB vertical.
Converting back over to air is even easier now with the Classified MB, I was back on air in about 10 min (after running phase). Rubber eraser peeled off in about 2-5 min (not as many caps in the area...as there was with the Giga x58 extreme). Hit the CPU socket with cleaner...for about 3-5 minutes - Was back on air.

I asked Hallowen over at EVGA forums about not greasing the cpu socket up....he didn't recommend it.