LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2009, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

great stuff there lion
Old October 10, 2009, 12:44 PM

My System Specs

It wasn't an insulation or an overheating issue. I did a grEat job on the insulation. And the mount was very even. Once I turned the phase on would get an 88 boot code and it would shut off in a second. If I left the phase off it would post. However I have another bigger problem. When I was cleaning off the rubber eraser from under the CPU socket mount so I could throw it on air I bent a 1 couple of CPU pins. FML.
Old October 10, 2009, 07:49 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
great stuff there lion
Thnks

lowfat, I moved one of those pins myself (didn't realize they were like fish hooks). Was lucky enough to grab a magnified glass and push it back to where it should be (had to be extremely careful...bloody pins seem fragile).

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old October 10, 2009, 08:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Holly molly guys. You are brave. Hat is off.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 10, 2009, 09:13 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
lowfat, I moved one of those pins myself (didn't realize they were like fish hooks). Was lucky enough to grab a magnified glass and push it back to where it should be (had to be extremely careful...bloody pins seem fragile).
I think I got them back to a place where they'll be hitting the correct spot on the cpu. However it is doing the exact same thing. Powers on for a second, then off, and repeats until you power it off. So the board is hooped from something. Now the bad thing is that I won't be able to RMA it likely because you can still see that a pin was bent, and I tried for hours to bend it to the same hook like way it was before. So it looks like I am out $300ish.
Old October 10, 2009, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

that's why i can't bring myself to do this just so risky but nothing is no fun with out a little bit of risk
Old October 11, 2009, 07:22 AM
MVP

RMA it low, they will most likely replace it. For all they know, it is a manufacturers defect/error in the build in the MB. If it is still giving you the code 88 error. Then RMA reason is code 88. Or turns on...turns off, RMA reason...just turns on and off.

If you said...geee I think I may have bent one of the pins to them. Then they will probably say geee sorry we can't replace it. Really though, you have no idea if what you did killed them MB. For all you know and they know...the MB actually does have a defect.

If you are going to turf it, give it to me...I will cover the cost of shipping it to me.
Really though...RMA it.

Powercolor covered one of my 4870's, when somehow (no bloody idea how it happened).....couple transistors (not sure what they are/were exactly) got scrapped off the board near the power plug. Sent it in, they replaced it.

Post a picture of the CPU socket...close up. If you could.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!

Last edited by LionRed; October 11, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old October 11, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

I would second that. There is always a chance they are too lazy to check and it will just go trough.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old October 11, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the point is that it was not working right even before the "pin incident" So rma it you said it would just restart even after you put it all back together to stock so
Old October 19, 2009, 09:07 PM
Top Prospect

well i guess i will start by saying its nice to see some guys here useing phase change as i am a phase builder and i have been looking for my guys that are here in canada mainly ontario to hook up with and do so phase tinkering. so any one in my area pm me and we can see what we can do and as for the mobo RMA it they will most likely replace it i have bent pins and even driped Ln2 on one and it was replaced