Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2009, 04:39 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Something I'm curious about is the chance of condensation collecting on the erasure and running down onto the other unprotected portions of the motherboard when it's not laying flat. Is that an issue at all?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 7, 2009, 04:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

grease right in the socket and pin area? just curious
Old October 7, 2009, 05:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
It is up to you, it gets cold in that socket..condensation will form (over time who knows). I use to dread cleaning it out, if I ever needed to RMA MB or switching back to air. But cleaning it out now is sooooo easy with a can of gun cleaner. It cleans it out and leaves virtually no residual, does not strip anythng off the board...only cleans the Vaseline out. If you decide to try it, I suggest using the cleaner outside and hold the MB vertical.
How did you come to the realization of using gun cleaner to clean off your motherboard?
Old October 7, 2009, 05:42 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Something I'm curious about is the chance of condensation collecting on the erasure and running down onto the other unprotected portions of the motherboard when it's not laying flat. Is that an issue at all?
I have had condensation form on the eraser. I had cut a hole in the back of the case MB plate. So I could see the back area of the CPU socket, that eraser was covering. Sure enough condensation had formed. I just added more eraser...seemed to do the trick. Condensation stopped forming.
I had condensation form on the caps in the area around CPU socket once (really humid day). I now cover the caps with rubber eraser. I figure that if that area is cool enough to have condensation form on em...then it is cool enough for them to be covered completely with eraser (stuff it in there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
grease right in the socket and pin area? just curious
Yep...right in the socket and pin area. I usually fill in the center area of the socket with vaseline...then coat the bottom part of the CPU. Put CPU in socket..clamp it down. Un-clamp it, clean any grease that gets squeezed out (do not remove cpu). Remove clamping cradle. Leave CPU in socket, then tape (painters tape) around/over the edges of the CPU socket. Start adding eraser around CPU socket, remount clamping cradle, clamp it down. Fill in any air pockets with eraser under cradle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
How did you come to the realization of using gun cleaner to clean off your motherboard?
The old method of cleaning out socket was. Heat up with a hair dryer (hope vaseline would slowly run/drip out of the area). Also hit it with canned air. Lol it sucked as a method. Not to mention the heat from he hair dryer alone...risked damaging the MB. Pretty sure it did kill my Classified board.
I though...ok I need some kinda degreaser or a solvent. Checked automotive store..wire cleaner. Wire cleaner didn't work to well on test blob of vaseline .
Thought maybe brake cleaner ....looked rather toxic and could strip everything off MB. Read from others about Acetone (not sure on name), found some...skulls and bones symbols on can (Not going to use that) . Came across a can of Gun Scrubber Solvent Degreaser (non-flammable). Tested on blob of vaseline...blob started to waste away, then it was gone. Couple minutes later...the solvent dried up. Pretty bloody clean compared to the old method. It doesn't appear to be stripping anything other then the grease away.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old October 7, 2009, 09:56 AM

My System Specs

Did you have problems w/ your gigabyte board on phase? Mine won't post if under 0c and it is locking up as soon as the compressor kicks in and temps start to drop. Been playing w/ it for hours trying to get back in to windows.
Old October 7, 2009, 10:00 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I think dielectric grease was more important for the AMD setups where the pins were on the CPU. Often those CPU pins would corrode so people used grease. It is not as much of an issue these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
thread being raised from the dead! Do people not use dialectic grease anymore?
Old October 7, 2009, 10:20 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Did you have problems w/ your gigabyte board on phase? Mine won't post if under 0c and it is locking up as soon as the compressor kicks in and temps start to drop. Been playing w/ it for hours trying to get back in to windows.
Did not have any issues at all. Does it boot at stock settings? No overclocking?
I did have an issue once...where it would not boot. Due to no fan being plugged into the CPU fan spot. Once I disabled that, it worked fine.

Any pics Low?

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

Old October 7, 2009, 11:24 AM
MVP

I just had a thought...

Low where are you reading the Temp? When you say below 0, is that what the Chiller head is indicating (on the unit itself?). Or are you reading 0C or below in the bios?
Cause if it is off the Units cooling head, then maybe it isn't snugged up against the cpu (not cooling the cpu). Therefore it may be reading 0C or below. But the CPU is actually overheating and shutting down.

I had to add some wedge'n material in behind the cooling head (so it would stick out a little). Even then I really had to crank down on the screws. First time I ever fired up the cooling unit....I was only getting -13C. After proping the head out...cranking the screws, -26C. More adjustments..till hitting a max cold temp of -43C (think this is the max my VaporChill LS could do).

Old October 7, 2009, 11:44 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

lowfat it could be condensation/moisture problem and something shorting or it could be cold bug. Cold bug above -50 is very rare for Intel tho.
Old October 8, 2009, 04:21 PM
MVP

Here are some pictures of the CPU prep.