Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2009, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default Need help designing a loop

Hey guys, (and gals)

I need some help designing a loop with 3 rads (2x blackice gt's [1x120mm] and 1x swiftech [2x120mm]). I will be cooling a cpu (apogee gtz) a gpu (swiftech mcw60) my NB (swiftech mcw30 or ek nb/sb 1 asus) and possibly my SB if the mcw30 I bought doesnt fit my nb. I also have an acetal 3.5" drive bay res.

All running on a swiftech mcp355 w/ xspc top, 3/8" tubing. I also have 2x y-splitters that can be used for a parallel loop setup. I do not wish to purchase any additional parts.

I dont do well interpreting written descriptions, so a paint drawing or ascii drawing would be nice. Then again, if its too much work, I'll do my best to interpret the written word.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old May 29, 2009, 11:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

We'd have a hard time doing that, given that you have a "Custom Case".

But for starters, inxay on the parallel. Minimal benefits (if any), and more potential points of failure.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, I don't see how the case has anything to do with it, its the order of the parts.

For your reference, The "custom case" is an mATX acrylic case from clearpc.ca that has been modified to fit standard ATX psu's and 120mm fans.

Old May 29, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Well, you were looking for a drawing, so I assumed you were wondering about placement position and such, which would naturally be hard without a reference.

At any rate, nothing wrong with your component selection there. Your reservoir needs to come before your pump, or bleeding is going to be much harder than it needs to be. Beyond that, the loop order isn't that critical - arrange things so that the tubing is short and simple. If possible, have the CPU come after one of the radiators, but this isn't essential.

A sample loop order might be:
Reservoir --> Pump --> CPU --> NB --> GPU --> SB --> Back to Reservoir. Insert the radiators wherever the tubing routing makes it easier.

Of course, your exact case setup might change this a little. Again, keep the tubing short and simple.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

I would like to use my 2 y- splitters in the setup because then buying them would be a total waste.

I had an idea of what i wanted to do:

....................................CPU-rad1-NB
................................../ ................ \
2x120mm rad- res- pump ................... back to 2x120mm rad
..................................\............... .. /
....................................GPU-rad2-SB

What do you think of that?

Old May 29, 2009, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

Not in favour, to be honest. Splitting up the flow means that each component is only getting a percentage of the total water volume, which will see each block running below its potential. Furthermore, the CPU block is more restrictive than the GPU block, so the majority of the flow will wind up going through the GPU side, when it's the CPU side that would probably benefit more from it. Furthermore, splitting up the radiators means that each only gets a chance to cool half the flow.

If you're absolutely determined to the use the Y's, then I'd suggest something like this:

.................................................. .......NB
.................................................. ...../.....\
2x120mm rad- res- pump- CPU- rad- GPU ...... rad- back to 2x120mm rad
.................................................. .....\...../
.................................................. .......SB

It doesn't split up much, I know. If you wanted, you could also split up the two single rads. But without any other criteria given, I have to assume that you're looking for some performance from your loop. Splitting the loop up really doesn't work towards that goal. And once you start actually trying to coordinate the split inside the case, it can be a royal pain.
Old May 29, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
I would like to use my 2 y- splitters in the setup because then buying them would be a total waste.

I had an idea of what i wanted to do:

....................................CPU-rad1-NB
................................../ ................ \
2x120mm rad- res- pump ................... back to 2x120mm rad
..................................\............... .. /
....................................GPU-rad2-SB

What do you think of that?
Bad - GTZ is flow hungry - don't split. Post picture of your case.

> BIG RAD > CPU > NB/SB > RES> Pump > smal RAD front> GPU > small rad bottom or back >
HTPC Build: Final Video

Last edited by Dazmode; May 29, 2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old May 29, 2009, 03:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

my case:
http://www.clearpc.ca/catalog/popup_image.php?pID=29

modified to fit a 120mm fan in front and a 120mm fan in back. (one 1x120mm res each)

and the swiftech 2x120 im still on the fence... whether to put it on its side insdie the case or hang it vertically from the back using a radbox (I've got a radbox so no extra cost there)

Ok so what are some general guidelines for me with respect to my hardware? I like dazmode's layout and I also like the other one where I split the nb/sb.

Any more suggestions as to how to get the best performance (mainly on cpu, gpu comes second)?

Old May 29, 2009, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

I would ditch GPU and do CPU and and SB/NB only to get the best from overclocking.

As for guidelines for best performance: CPU is fed straight from the rad(s) (coldest water), the rest is after that. Pump fed from res (bleeding)... Shorter tubing run better for your GTZ.

Good luck.
HTPC Build: Final Video