Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2009, 11:45 AM
Top Prospect

Default Water Cooling Routing help - Two GPU and Chipset

Ended up with some parts cheap and was hoping for some water cooling routing guidance for dual GPU and a core i7 northbridge.

Equipment:

1. ECS Hydra 9800GTX+ kit which includes
- Two 9800GTX+ cards with some sort of Thermaltake GPU waterblock.
- Thermaltake BigWater 760 IS (a dual bay all in one) with 3/8" in and out barbs - there is then a Y splitter on both routes (looks like 3/8" to two 1/4"?)

2. Motherboard - Gigabyte EX58 Extreme (not yet purchased).
- Board suppose to include a chipset waterblock with 3/8" barbs.

Questions:

1. Opinion on best routing path.

I'm thinking the simplest would be (only one extra tube needed):

- 760 IS > NEW tube >
- EX58 chipset > tube >
- Y Split (1 to 2) > two tubes >
- Dual GPU > two tubes >
- Y Split back (2 to 1) > tube >
- 760 IS

2. Placement of Thermaltake 760 IS dual bay in Cooler Master Cosmos S chasis with 10 front accessible 5.25" bays (Bottom or Top?).

- Bottom to keeps tubing short and possible leakage to bottom of case.. the dual bay is suppose to exhaust heat from the front.

- Top so heat is kept far away from system and can also exhaust from top internal 12cm fans.

3. Anyone know where I might buy NVIDIA stock coolers in the event this stuff doesn't and decide to, if I still can, switch to air.

P.S. I did already review the various useful water cooling guides / stickys.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by futures; May 19, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old May 19, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I dont know where one can buy stock nvidia coolers, but you could use other solutions like :

NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 9800 VGA Cooler - ACCELERO-9800 In Canada.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old May 19, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

IMHO I wouldn't bother with chipset cooling on Extreme just use monster heatsink that supplied with the board.
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old May 19, 2009, 11:24 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
I dont know where one can buy stock nvidia coolers, but you could use other solutions like :

NCIX.com - Buy Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 9800 VGA Cooler - ACCELERO-9800 In Canada.
Thanks.. actually did some reading on the above mentioned vga cooler.. might consider it as a backup to the water cooling. As it would allow me to split up the ECS and use as a third card in other rigs without the worry of having a "stock" nvidia card exhaust being blocked by the case.
Old May 19, 2009, 11:33 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
IMHO I wouldn't bother with chipset cooling on Extreme just use monster heatsink that supplied with the board.
Always good getting reminders to be practical.. I'm leaning on splitting up the cards and going air on them... but its hard to think practical with the glint of all the shiny stuff. Did stay practical with the vid cards as its more for work than gaming.

BUT.. if I were to water a cool a chipset and dual gpus.. would my suggested routing be appropriate?

- 760 IS > NEW tube >
- EX58 chipset > tube >
- Y Split (1 to 2) > two tubes >
- Dual GPU > two tubes >
- Y Split back (2 to 1) > tube >
- 760 IS
Old May 20, 2009, 10:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

I'd say cool chipset first as it much colder then cards, otherwise you will warm you chipset not cool it. I'm sure single rad will bit a bit weak for what you are asking.

Rad_chipset_card1_card2_back-to-rad
HTPC Build: Final Video

Last edited by Dazmode; May 20, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old May 20, 2009, 03:19 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
I'd say cool chipset first as it much colder then cards, otherwise you will worm you chipset not cool it. I'm sure single rad will bit a bit weak for what you are asking.

Rad_chipset_card1_card2_back-to-rad
Thanks for the input. According to Thermaltake's website their BigWater 760 is all in one dual bay thing is powerful enough to cool a cpu, chipset, and gpu. However, I'm always skeptical with manufacturer's specs.. as they always promise the moon.

There's room on top of the CoolerMaster S for a large three section radiator.

I'm really leaning on converting the 9800GTX to air cooling.. just a waste of a nice prebuilt system.

Thanks!