Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2007, 01:51 PM
JayDee

Default Thinking about taking the plunge into H2O - looking for advice.

I've been looking and this weeks NCIX sponsored deals are looking good. I'm thinking about getting:

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...056&quantity=1
This kit looks like it has enough to get me started and has some good stuff that won't be wasted if I should decide to step up to a better system in the future. I believe the MCP655 pump is a top performer (from what I've seen anyways) and I can use it for any future upgraded system and will also work if/when I decide to add GPU H2O cooling.

I'm also thinking about using:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...056&quantity=1

Do these look like good/wise choices for a H2O newbie?
With tax and shipping it'll be about $300...
Old June 30, 2007, 02:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think you can go wrong with the kit you're looking at. (especially at that price).

Having everything you need in one package makes life a whole lot easier for a first time build.

I'm not sure I'd go with the added expense of the fluid though.... the kit already comes with the additive for use with distilled water.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old June 30, 2007, 02:25 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm by no means an expert, but I don't think you can go wrong with the kit you're looking at. (especially at that price).

Having everything you need in one package makes life a whole lot easier for a first time build.

I'm not sure I'd go with the added expense of the fluid though.... the kit already comes with the additive for use with distilled water.
What he said I used this kit as my second W/C project and the only regret was not using it the first time
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old June 30, 2007, 02:36 PM
JayDee

Thanks guys :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That is exactly my fear = that I'll get components that don't work well together as a "system" or that I'll miss parts that I need and didn't know I needed and thus screw something up and break something.

Last edited by JayDee; July 1, 2007 at 04:54 AM. Reason: remove pics
Old June 30, 2007, 02:43 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You can't go wrong with the Swiftech kit, for starters. And it's a good kit to add GPU / NB blocks too. The rad and pump can handle that easily.
Old June 30, 2007, 02:57 PM
JayDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
You can't go wrong with the Swiftech kit, for starters. And it's a good kit to add GPU / NB blocks too. The rad and pump can handle that easily.
Thanks 3.0charlie :)

Yup I think you guys are right and this kit is the way to go.

The Scythe Ninja I have does a good job but I think I'm hearing the call for H2O :)
Old July 1, 2007, 02:51 PM
JayDee

Well it's been 24 hours of agony searching for H20 info but what I've come up with is:

Swiftech MCP655-B 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump

D-TEK Customs Fuzion CPU Water Block

D-TEK Customs Fuzion GFX GPU Water Block

Swiftech MC14 Bga Memory Heatsinks (8 Pack)

Magicool Slim 240 Dual 120MM Water Cooling Radiator (top mount?)

Tygon R-3603 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing 5 Feet (I hope 5 feet will do for my loop)

Danger Den G1/4 to 1/2IN High Flow Barb Chrome Fittings (2 Pack) (for the rad)

Danger Den Adjustable White Hose Clamps for 1/2IN Tubing (in case I need them :p)

Swiftech Smartcoils 625 Blue

Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir

I have an Aerocool Vcool which I think will be perfect for cooling the GPU RAMsinks and I also already have 2 Antec Spotcool for the northbrige and RAM areas.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ufacture=ANTEC
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...C&promoid=1055

By using the sponsored deals here along with some pricematching I've manged to put all the above together for under $320 (that includes the tax and shipping). I'll need to budget around $50 more for odds and ends and things I might've forgot to include but if my resarch hasn't left any holes I think it's a pretty good setup for that price :)

Last edited by JayDee; July 1, 2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old July 1, 2007, 04:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't be cheap on the Tygon tubing - nothing can be worse than missing 6 inches to close the loop. I know, it happened to me on my first WC set-up. Buy 10 feet.

Aside from the rad, all components have their fittings - the correct size? Just double-check. Also, the Swiftech pump has 7/16" fittings. 1/2" tubing will work, but it's a pain to install. Make sure you boil water and dip the hose ends for 30 seconds before installing them.

For the price, you have a very nice set-up!

John

PS. What will you be using to cool the NB?
Old July 1, 2007, 06:20 PM
JayDee

Thanks for the input 3.0charlie :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Don't be cheap on the Tygon tubing - nothing can be worse than missing 6 inches to close the loop. I know, it happened to me on my first WC set-up. Buy 10 feet.

Aside from the rad, all components have their fittings - the correct size? Just double-check. Also, the Swiftech pump has 7/16" fittings. 1/2" tubing will work, but it's a pain to install. Make sure you boil water and dip the hose ends for 30 seconds before installing them.

For the price, you have a very nice set-up!

John

PS. What will you be using to cool the NB?
I'll add a second length of Tygon - I rather suspeted 5' wouldn't do...
Ahhh, I didn't realize the swiftech had 7/16". Does a bath in hot water shrink the tubing?
I have 2 Antec Spotcool fans 1 for the NB and one for the RAM
Old July 1, 2007, 07:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

30 seconds in hot water will expand (not shrink) tubing. It will allow an easier installation. But I tell you, those 2 ends are very difficult to install.

Which NB cooler do you have? Passive?