Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2007, 08:07 AM
JayDee

lol this H20 will nickle and dime me to death
I got this 2 weeks ago and intended a budget build.

I intended to use some extra 120mm fans I had around and that didn't workout so I put in an order for 4 new fans = $60 after shipping and tax and a week delay.

So the fans arrive this week and yesterday I get ready to start the install ... nope.
I thought I'd start with the GPU block so I remove the stock cooler... the eight ramsinks I bought aren't going to be enough. So I start to $^%^&$%%&&**%$$ a blue cloud and look at NCIX for MOSFET and more RAM sinks. The kit is another $38 plus tax/shipping = $55. So more %^%^^&^**$%$$ and at least another week delay.

Arrrg! I might just install the CPU and cut my losses on the GPU cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo4g View Post
If you really want to clean your loop out, just mix a 10% viniger and 90% distilled water mix, then run it in your loop for a few hours.
Then flush it out 1-2 times with distilled water.
That will get all the "muuk" out of there.

I do it about once every 3 months.
Cool!
Old July 15, 2007, 08:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

sorry didnt read the previous posts, but what GPU cooler do you have?
$55 for ram sinks? hmmm

btw what parts do you have for your whole watercooling system?

Old July 15, 2007, 09:03 AM
JayDee

Quote:
sorry didnt read the previous posts, but what GPU cooler do you have?
$55 for ram sinks? hmmm

btw what parts do you have for your whole watercooling system?
The $55 includes tax and shipping and I also spent $16 to get the original 8 RAMsinks which aren't enough = lol alot of money for shiny copper and some tape :p

Swiftech MCP655-B 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump

D-TEK Customs Fuzion CPU Water Block

D-TEK Customs Fuzion GFX GPU Water Block

Swiftech MC14 Bga Memory Heatsinks (8 Pack) (not enough *cry*)

Black Ice Xtreme II Rad (2x120mm)

Swiftech 7/16" tubing

Danger Den G1/4 to 1/2IN High Flow Barb Chrome Fittings

4 x120mm Logisys 63CFM fans in push + pull for the Rad (with juicy red LED's)

Danger Den Adjustable White Hose Clamps for 1/2IN Tubing

Swiftech Smartcoils 625 Blue

Swiftech MCRES-MICRO Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir

I have an Antec Vcool which I think will be perfect for cooling the GPU RAMsinks and I also already have 2 Antec Spotcool for the northbrige and RAM areas.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ufacture=ANTEC
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...C&promoid=1055

Last edited by JayDee; July 15, 2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old July 15, 2007, 09:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

Nice setup you have there
hmm i prefer full coverage blocks myself, but you know what would be just perfect for you, this:
D-Tek Uni Sink

how many more swiftech ram sinks do you need?

Last edited by Apollo4g; July 15, 2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old July 15, 2007, 10:22 AM
JayDee

Quote:
Nice setup you have there
hmm i prefer full coverage blocks myself, but you know what would be just perfect for you, this:
D-Tek Uni Sink

how many more swiftech ram sinks do you need?
Thanks Apollo4g

Ya I'd go with the D-Tek RAMsink but it only fits the GTX/Ultra and I have GTS :(
As for RAMsinks I'd need 3 more but I also need 4 MOSFET sinks like this kit has:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=Swiftech

I'm a H20 newb so this has been a learning experience and it's cost me delays and $$$. Next time older and wiser... well older at least :)
Old July 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
JayDee

Well I have my cart full again so a mixture of for new toys
and for spending more money and wait time...

I got:
Another http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=20176
along with: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=22446
So that should permit me to cool the GPU RAM and power and it's cheaper than the full kit this way.

I also got bunch of other stuff including a Swiftech 1x120 Rad which I'll put after the CPU and before the GPU

So my loop would look like the pic. Not sure if it is a good place for the Reservoir as it seems everyone else puts it right before the pump in their loop but I don't see a problem where I have it.
Attached Images

Last edited by JayDee; July 15, 2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old July 15, 2007, 11:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

well ive thru alot, and i mean ALOT of watercooling stuff lol, ive been watercooling for about 3-4 years now and have most of the parts.

BTW you could mod that D-tek sink to fit your GTS, i did it before and sold it already. My new EK GTS waterblock is really nice, before that i had the DD GTS block.

Well that loop wont work that well, the reason people put the res right before the pump is not to so called "starve" your pump.
Ironic using starve i know lol

but putting the res right before the pump ensure the pump is getting the most intake of liquid that it needs, if you dont it is possible to get a tubing collapse, where the tubing before the pump tends to collapse because the pump is sucking more liquid in, than is exited.

your best loop formation would be:

Pump-->big rad-->CPU-->small rad-->GPU-->res-->pump

eventually your loop will reach an equalibrium temp. and the coolest liquid will be right after the rads, so you could also try :
Pump-->big rad-->small rad-->CPU-->GPU-->res-->pump

And see which one gives you better temps.

Last edited by Apollo4g; July 15, 2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old July 15, 2007, 12:52 PM
JayDee

Quote:
but putting the res right before the pump ensure the pump is getting the most intake of liquid that it needs
Thanks for that Apollo4g *tips hat*
I've read thru lots of sites/posts/guides where the pump is before the rad but never saw any indication as to why. I'll change my loop accordingly.
Old July 16, 2007, 12:15 PM
Misoprostol

I've never seen any indication that loop order makes the slightest difference in temps.

I have personally witnessed tubing collapse though, and I don't think it's going to be an issue in this case. With the reservoir positioned that high above the pump, his pump will not be starved regardless of where the res is. Gravity works.

and as for the vinegar thing: NEVER do that. Never put vinegar in any of your water cooling equipment. The only thing you will need to clean out your radiator and blocks is HOT water.

You can use brasso on copper blocks and then flush with alcohol/water as well, but for something like a radiator, hot water is the only way.