Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2007, 08:12 PM
JayDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I used to wonder about the jars and jars of spare parts / nuts & bolts etc.... that my grandfather used to keep in his basement workshop.
ROFL
Yep I have those same jars of nuts/bolts/screws/washers/nails/... :p

But is there a guy on the planet that doesn't gravitate towards the "tools" section every single time they are in a department store :)

Well tomorrow it's time to get out one of my dremmels and one of my drills and a few dozen jars of nuts/bolts/screws/washers/... and get working on some H20 goodness :)
Old July 6, 2007, 08:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah- if you do that, just could buy some small diameter chrome or copper or brass piping (whatever you can find and like) to cover the threading on the bolts you use as risers.
Old July 6, 2007, 08:21 PM
JayDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
Yeah- if you do that, just could buy some small diameter chrome or copper or brass piping (whatever you can find and like) to cover the threading on the bolts you use as risers.
yup I've been thinking about that as well Babrbarossa. I was thinking of something like a McDonalds straw (not the actual straw but something similar) and cut it to length then slice it down the middle lengthwise (like the insulation you use on water pipes) and voila. But I'll wait on that till I find some stuff that strikes me right... Hello dollar store and craft supply store :)
Old July 9, 2007, 08:34 AM
JayDee

Project on hold... :/
I am working on my spare PC now as the C2D rig is torn apart waiting for more equipment I plan to order today.
I need to get 4 x 120mm fans for the rad before I can continue (and the nuts/bolts to install them). I think I'll pick up 4 of these fans:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...sys%20Computer
I'm planning to mount a rheobus in the front of the rad to control the fan speed/noise as part of a mod project for the elevated rad :) (thus the red LED's on the fans). The rheobus is very cool looking and does a great job:
MADSHRIMPS - Hardware Reviews ,Crazy Projects, Modding Tutorials and Overclocking
I hace the holes drilled out on the top of my case for the elevated rad but I have been having all kinds of problems with the rad as far as hardware goes - so new fans and new nuts/bolts to mount them and a mod project were what I came up with. It'll take more time now but I didn't want to install everything and take it apart again because I didn't like it.
Old July 11, 2007, 05:35 PM
Top Prospect

Looks like an interesting idea.. I might just copy that...
as for mcd's straws.. i believe harveys has thick black straws that wouldn't look too bad..
Old July 11, 2007, 06:13 PM
JayDee

Cool Somed00d :)

I've changed away from the straws and I have a mod project that I'm going to work on - I am terrible with tools but will give it a try :)

I got my 4 x 120mm fans from NCIX today so I can begin to put the H20 together

Can anyone comment if using teflon tape on the threads is a good/bad idea?
Old July 11, 2007, 06:39 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Teflon tape on which threads? The barbs?
Old July 11, 2007, 07:03 PM
JayDee

yup on the barb threads is where I was thinking.
Old July 11, 2007, 07:06 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Usually, the o-ring serves to seal and prevent leaks. The threads are only for structural integrity. If you have the o-rings, no need for teflon tape.

Which barbs are you looking at?

John
Old July 11, 2007, 07:13 PM
JayDee

If I used the tape I would've put it on the threads on all the barbs.

I wasn't sure about the swiftech reservoir as it is plastic and I plan to use the D-tek chrome barbs on it (I'm not sure if using metal barbs on the plastic rez is a good idea)
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...-Tek%20Customs