Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2009, 11:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Help me pick my parts!

Ok, so im starting a WC build on an i7. As well as functional, i would like it to look good if possible. I'll be using an EVGA X58 motherboard with a 920. I already have the Apogee GTZ and bitspower nb/sb and mosfet waterblocks i got off of kruzn. I also have bunch of 1/2 bitspower barbs. Basically, i wanna cool my cpu, mosfet, sb/nb for sure. I wouldnt even mind trying to cool my video cards (2-GTX275), but im not sure if i'll need more than one loop. What i want is some help picking quality components, if im gonna need any other fittings etc. Im also not too concerned about cost either.

I was looking at this pump for starters: Performance-PCs Über 655 Fully Modded (D5) 12 VDC Water Pump Products Model: UBER655 [UBER655] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come. Thoughts?

TIA
Old May 7, 2009, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Way over priced, if you want to use your own fittings then either cut and tap a 655 or get a aftermarket top.
Old May 7, 2009, 09:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Radiator: XSPC RX360 or RX480. Or step it up to a Feser/Thermochill.

Pump: Just get the stock Swiftech MCP655 with either the EK D5 X-TOP or the Bitspower DP-D5TOP assuming you want to use your own fittings. Though if you're just using regular barbs, I wouldn't bother with a top at all, but if you're using compressions it's probably worth considering.

Reservoir: Up to you, Swiftech MCRES is popular, or those cylinder EK ones. Could go with a simple t-line as well.

Fittings: You might need some Bitspower 45/90 dual-rotaries to get to your MOSFET/Chipset blocks without kinking the tubing, though I'm not sure.

If you used a 480 radiator, you could probably run it all in one loop though I'm guessing others might say not. And well you'd need quite a bit of space to fit a 480...
Old May 7, 2009, 09:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

Before anything, which case will you use?
HTPC Build: Final Video
Old May 7, 2009, 10:50 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The case is still up in the air. I decided on one as of yet
Old May 8, 2009, 12:06 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

If the case is up in the air then you have a first consideration: do you want it all internal or some external? If you want internal, check out this thread. It has a list links to pictures of different cases and how they fit the hardware in there.

Then figure out a rough budget, if the case is included and you are aiming for continuing with watercooling, I recommend something that can accommodate a triple and a dual minimum. If you aren't cooling the videocards a single triple is enough usually(depending on your OC aims).

Simply for ease of use I would pick up the Silverstone TJ07 or one of the Lian Li's with the bottom hdd storage area to be used for rads. If you want to fork out a bit more cash you can't get much easier than Mountain Mods cases, the Pinnacle 18 can hold a stupid amount of cooling hardware and is the standard case shape.

Edit: That pump is a lot of flash for no substance. The performance of the top used on it(koolance) is behind the Ek Rev2 and the Detroit tops that are offered for a mere $40 at PPC and Ebay(Detroit tops). Plus you can buy that black sparkle bling addon separate if you really feel the need, but I would caution you to spend your money on your first WCing project on solid, good performing and necessary items that will outlast your current hardware so you don't need to replace your system entirely next time you want to upgrade your machine.

Last edited by ChuckleBrother; May 8, 2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old May 8, 2009, 03:13 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

That MM case looks pretty sweet. Do i have to order right from them or is there somewhere in Canada i can order? I definitely want to do all internal water cooling. I've also decided that i'll do a loop for the proc/nb/sb and mosfet first. But I do want a case that could accomadate a second loop for video cards if i decide to go that route at a later time. I'm open to any and all case reccomendations anyone may have. As for a budget, im nott too set on one. I'm also wondering where can i pick up a feser rad?
Old May 8, 2009, 03:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

For that MM case, never seen them up here so you'd probably have to order direct.

NCIX should have Feser radiators though, maybe it's just out of stock right now if you can't find it.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

If you're just running a single triple rad, you might consider looking at some of Coolermaster's cases, many which can hold a triple in the ceiling, and are otherwise nicely designed elsewhere. As convenient as the MM cases are for watercooling, they're lacking in other areas.
Old May 8, 2009, 06:28 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

A triple rad is more than enough for a complete loop: cpu, dual gpus, and board chips. A quad is overpriced, and overkill.

Take a look below at what I cool with a single PA120.2. All chips, minus the Mosfets. Full load at 3.8, the temps hover around 65C.