Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2009, 08:38 PM
Top Prospect

Default Silver Coils

Just wondering who might be interested in aome Silver Coils for their loops? Me and my lanlord are debating starting a garage based business of making silver coils that are pre-sized for common tubing (1/2", 7/16", and 3/8"). If anyone would be interested, what lengths might be the best to market? 6" length coiled? 12" length coiled? Or even full tubing length coiled? Looking at the pricing of silver that my landlord has available, a 6" Coiled length could be sold in the sub $30 range easily.

Would anyone be interested in tubing with silver coils pre-installed? Say 10' lengths of silver coils that will both be a biocide and have an anti-kink plus the possibility of holding its shape.

Since this is just in the idea phase I am open to any and all suggestions. This will not be used for primary income or anything, and is just a few extra bucks.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:36 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

cool idea. are u talkin sterling silver?
vary intresting. what if a peice of the coil touched a component. ZZZAP! hahaha
Old April 29, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONEDOGG View Post
cool idea. are u talkin sterling silver?
vary intresting. what if a peice of the coil touched a component. ZZZAP! hahaha
The coils need to be 99.9% silver, they go inside your tubes so if it does contact a component you have bigger prob than the coil shorting something.

My coil is about 6-7" long, finished or coiled it is about 1.5" long, I think selling them separate without being installed tubes would work better for you since ppl use a wide variety of different tubing.
Old April 29, 2009, 07:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

oh i figured it would go on teh ouside of the tubing. not inside.
you got my attention on this either way.
from my expierence i see only 3 sizes of tubing used regularly. 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 OD.
Old April 29, 2009, 07:50 AM
Banned

Ronedogg, the silver is an algae inhibitor. algae need food for live, A good RO / DI water with silicate resin ( silicate is the huge problem ) will fix the food problem, so no algae..... anyway no algae , or even spore will pass the membrane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONEDOGG View Post
oh i figured it would go on teh ouside of the tubing. not inside.
you got my attention on this either way.
from my expierence i see only 3 sizes of tubing used regularly. 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 OD.
Old April 29, 2009, 01:04 PM
Top Prospect

After discussing this more with my landlord we did come up with 2 different solutions:
1. a 99.9% Sterling Silver coil. Length coiled would be about half a foot or so, should be able to just slide into the tubing and provide a snug fit, using the main coil sizes. Other options coule be a coiled ball that could go into the reservoir. This would be passive.

2. There is an active solution, that would actually plug into the 5V Rail. This uses 90% Copper and 10% Silver coils and passes a switched current through both. This would be a seperate unit with barbs but it would absolutely decimate any and all bio compunds in the fluid. This method is usually used in Plastic injection molding to elimate everything in the liquid to cool the plastic (Without this, plastic fades really fast in Sunlight, due to impurities absorbed)

As well, the idea of a full tube length filled with coil would be pre-installed. It would actually be 10' of tubing with silver coils installed, it may be a bit of overkill though for any type of loop. It would give the tubing a semi-pipe cleanerish movement though.

I see alot of industries that could benifit from these (Server farms etc....) hopefully it will all turn out :) I am open to any other suggestions.
Old April 29, 2009, 01:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I honestly dont think you need a coil that big, mine is 1.5 inches long when coiled and works fine. YMMV

But if you do sell them that large I'll take one......... and cut it into 3. ;)
Old April 29, 2009, 03:01 PM
Banned

What is that story, 5 volts , you want to induce the coil with DC from the PSU ? what you want to do with that ? I need more info . What bio compound will live in a Liquid plastic ? Anyway I gone ask my friend tomorrow who own a plastic company. I fix few of is electronic on is shop and never see those coil.
Old April 29, 2009, 03:03 PM
Top Prospect

It all depends on what people want :)

What are people currently paying for their silver? I have not really looked at retail rates etc.....
Old April 29, 2009, 03:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Petra's Tech Shop

Iandh Silver coil, $8.75.