Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   is wc really silent? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/17108-wc-really-silent.html)

Bomberman07 April 21, 2009 03:21 PM

is wc really silent?

I'm reading all I can on watercooling these days. And I was wondering if wc was really silent? With all the fans ppl put on their rad. I mean 6 fan on a triple rad is no more silent than 6 fan on a case?

phil3_66666 April 21, 2009 03:27 PM

WC can be silent, but yes 6 fan on the rad will be loud like 6 case fan, always depent for what you are building your WC,

sswilson April 21, 2009 03:35 PM

It depends on the fan....

Most WC builds use low RPM fans.

gingerbee April 21, 2009 03:49 PM

it can be it's up to you and what you want to do

Liu Kang April 21, 2009 03:56 PM

Pumps can also great a bit of a hum that drives some people crazy...

MpG April 21, 2009 04:21 PM

Saying that watercooling is "silent" is highly, HIGHLY subjective statement. Generally speaking, the more heat a computer makes, the more potential WC-ing has to be quieter than if you were just using air alone. Yes, 6 fans on a rad will generally make the same amount of noise as six case fans, but those 6 fans on the radiator are potentially capable of moving a lot more heat for their noise.

Where the big noise savings are often seen is directly on the CPU and video cards. At a certain point, it doesn't matter how good an air heatsink is, you need a certain amount of fan power to keep the unit working properly. Watercooling lets you 1) use water's superior thermal characterstics to move that heat more efficiently, and 2) spread the heat dissipation over a larger area (i.e. double or triple radiator), which can get work with slower fans. Where you come up with problems is on cooler PC's, where an air heatsink with a slow fan is adequate, and where a water-cooling system still requires a pump, which can negate any possible noise savings.

Having said all that, when done right, water-cooling can be very, VERY quiet. But it doesn't happen all by itself.

ChuckleBrother April 21, 2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liu Kang (Post 182911)
Pumps can also great a bit of a hum that drives some people crazy...

Can be fairly easily isolated with some foam to prevent it from spreading to the frame and some soundproof foam around it, most of it's heat dump is right back into the water anyway.

What gets me is the sloshing sound you sometimes get from the res.

Bomberman07 April 21, 2009 07:52 PM

thanks all, I'm very tempted to wc my rig, but was wondering about the "silent part"

currently I have;

3 x Noctua NF-S12 120mm 17dba each
1x Antec tri-speed 120mm 25 dba
1x Antec tri-speed 140mm 27 dba
1x Xigmatek S1283 fan 120mm 27.2 dba
And the stock powercolor cooler on my 4890 27-44 dba

160 dba. Not really silent, but not loud at all, Anyway, I don't care that much about silence. I just want lower temps to oc my cpu even higher :) My e8400 can go up to 4.15 on air. Also, I've started folding so my "idle" temp is now 50c

dataxpert April 21, 2009 08:05 PM

You can always use something like the Zalman Reserator,

Dazmode April 21, 2009 08:14 PM

Antec fans are really crappy ones. I remember replacing them with Scythe F series and it was good upgrade towards silence.

In my subjective opinion my watercooled HAF is way more quiet then 900 on air.