Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 20, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazmode View Post
You probably didn't have enough exhaust fans or if hot air came out your rad - you had too much parts on for your rads size.
+1 to the rad being to small
Old April 20, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for all the input guys, I realize the physics of hot air rising and in the long run exhausting out the top does make more sense, if I have the front and side 230's as intake (and maybe a bottom intake if I can fit it) along with the rear 140mm and the 6 push/pull rad fans all exhausting that should create sufficient air flow and keep things cool enough. I think I'll give that a shot first and see how it goes.

Old April 20, 2009, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

You can try this and other way, it is all part of the fun.

For me: fresh air should come to the rad, not warm air from the case. That gives best temps from my experience.
HTPC Build: Final Video

Last edited by Dazmode; April 20, 2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old April 20, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunately I don't think I'll have time to try it both ways but we'll see how it goes.

Old April 20, 2009, 10:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Considering the Rad is on top , that makes your PSU on the bottom.
Here is what I'd do.
Flip the Rear case fan to Intake, keep the side 230mm to intake and front to intake as well.
Mount the bottom fan as intake too (get my theme here?) and then let the top fans be the only thing exausting.
You keep with the theme of hot air rising, you keep a positive pressure system which in turn will reduce dust, and you make that whole rad and case have a massive influx of air.
That, IMO, would be the best route to go.

Good luck,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 20, 2009, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Considering the Rad is on top , that makes your PSU on the bottom.
Here is what I'd do.
Flip the Rear case fan to Intake, keep the side 230mm to intake and front to intake as well.
Mount the bottom fan as intake too (get my theme here?) and then let the top fans be the only thing exausting.
You keep with the theme of hot air rising, you keep a positive pressure system which in turn will reduce dust, and you make that whole rad and case have a massive influx of air.
That, IMO, would be the best route to go.

Good luck,
ST

I know somebody who burned his mobo by putting too many fans into-the-case direction without adequate pushing air out as it created dead turbulence spots inside the Antec900 case. Seem you guys put too much trust in natural air raising process.
Old April 20, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I know somebody who burned his mobo by putting too many fans into-the-case direction without adequate pushing air out as it created dead turbulence spots inside the Antec900 case. Seem you guys put too much trust in natural air raising process.
i have a hard time believing it had anything to do with positive case pressure sorry dude. and the process is called thermal dynamics and sorry to tell you but there is pretty much no way to keep the air in your case still because of the heat that it creates just a law of physics
Old April 20, 2009, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

Not still, but dead spots. You know how you hide from the wind behind the corner :)
Old April 20, 2009, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

Convection is highly overrated, in my own experience. If the GPU's are both air cooled, I'd probably have the rad exhausting, as long as the side panel case was intake, since it's in the best position to directly hit the GPU's/chipset. But if the GPU's were under water, I'd intake through the top, since the cooler air would then be affecting more components.
Old April 20, 2009, 11:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Considering the 3 Fans would be Exausting for the case on the Top, I doubt you would deal with that issue.
Airflow patterns are my niche you could say (considering I have insturments worth houses that depend on good airflow).
I think it would work perfectly.
It would also depend on the CFM difference of each Fan in the case, plus you would have the VC's moving air out as well.
I think it would work without an issue, this isn't convection I'm talking about, it is active cooling still.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com