Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2009, 08:43 PM
Rookie

Question Temps for E8400 on W/C clearly off...

Hey Guys,

I've been having a bit of trouble with the build, or I'd have pics up by now for everyone to see it!! Anyway, right to the problem. My gear:

->e8400 (running at the stock 3ghz right now)
->Asus Maximus II Formula board.
->d-Teck FuZion bloack
->DB-1
->thermochill 120.2 rad.
->2 zalman 3000rpm fans (never run them above 1500rpm)
->Antec 1200 case.

My temps right now are 43/42 in core temp and 42/42 in real temp. As far as I can tell, these are really high... This is basically Idling right now, less then 10% cpu utilization. Under a decent load (playing Sup Comm), gets up to around 47 per core...

I'm going to guess this is a bad thermal paste job... I've also used the like dot method, one dot int he center and thats it. It's really hard to put the block on and secure it without it moving even a little. What's the best way to get it on there without it moving up and down screwing up the TIM job?? I'm currently using MX-2 and want to test with the new tube of IC7 so this is crucial for me to figure this out and get some decent temps.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

[Sidenote] It's 18 minutes before the super virus kills all computers!!! I'm excited! LoL, my roommates told me the world was going to end tonight cause some super virus was going to put us back to the dark ages!! LOL!!!!! Now they are out getting drunk... Damn essays I have to write tonight... If you have no Idea what I'm talking about check it out:
edmontonsun.com - Canada - April 1 computer worm no gag, experts say, but possible damage unclear
Old March 31, 2009, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Which mounting kit are you using with the Fuzion block? If the block wiggles around a little while mounting, that shouldn't make much difference. And yeah, those temps are definitely high for idle. You don't have an unusually warm room, do you?
Old March 31, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

idle temps for the last e8400 i overclocked never got that high but your load temps are ok seems a little high for stock volts on water at load imo
Old March 31, 2009, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Actually, I didn't catch the load temps there. 5 degrees is way too small of a difference between load and idle - I bet you've got stuck sensors. No real harm, just annoying. If your load temps aren't going any higher, than you should be alright.
Old March 31, 2009, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

You're only talking ~4 to 5 diff between idle and load, I think your TIM is just fine otherwise that temp diff would be huge. I have a E3110 AFAIK the same chip. IIRC temp readings on those chips were dodgy anyway, I know I got a 10 diff depending on what software I was using to do the readings. Redo your TIM if you like but TBH I'd chalk it up as sensor/software inaccuracy. Besides it's just a number, if it works fine then whats to worry about.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old March 31, 2009, 09:33 PM
Rookie

It works fine now, not what I'm worried about. I'm going to be oc'ing this when I got the time, and I'm worried if the temps are high now, they will get higher. My load temps I just got from when I was playing Sup Comm, probably not the best way to stress a CPU... Ya the difference seems small to me as well. I`ll keep an eye on them, I`m going to be re-doing the paste anyway to test the IC7. I just wanted to know is these temps seemed high to you guys, and if the TIM could be at fault...

Thanks!
Old March 31, 2009, 10:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I found that 2 parallel thin lines the thickness of a grain of rice worked the best for me with my MX-2. I always seem to get a good spread on my IHS that way.

The IC7 is recommended to use the single blob though, because they are worried about trapping air bubbles because it's so thick.
Old April 1, 2009, 04:16 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Actually, I didn't catch the load temps there. 5 degrees is way too small of a difference between load and idle - I bet you've got stuck sensors. No real harm, just annoying. If your load temps aren't going any higher, than you should be alright.
I second that. Load that chip using OCCT, let's see some real load numbers.
Old April 1, 2009, 05:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

Intel's spec on the temperature sensor says anything below 50C is only accurate enough to know the temperatures are <50C and shouldn't be interpretted as the actual temperature. So if when you run OCCT, the temperatures stay under 50C, I wouldn't be too worried.
Old April 1, 2009, 05:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I second that. Load that chip using OCCT, let's see some real load numbers.
yes i second that lets see some long tome temps loads lets seee if it goes above 50 cintel says all 45nm sensor can only be counted on after 50c well thats what i heard