Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Question about Swifttech mcp-655's (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/1632-question-about-swifttech-mcp-655s.html)

Nightwings June 14, 2007 12:12 PM

Question about Swifttech mcp-655's

I just got my two loops put together and went to flush one with some water only to find the pump wouldn't power up when I turned on the power supply. I tried different molex's in case it was a bad one but nothing. Then I check the other one and it don't work either.

Is there some trick to starting these up or did I manage to get two bad pumps?

3.0charlie June 14, 2007 12:29 PM

make sure you have enough fluid in the reservoir, and that it sits higher than the pump.

connect both pumps and all the fans you've got. the first rig I built using Swiftech's Ultra+ kit had the same problem, until I plugged in all my fans - the PSU needs a minimum of amps to start.

make sure you're jumping the PSU by connecting the correct pins.

John

Nightwings June 14, 2007 12:37 PM

My fans were running but the pump wasn't so I'm assuming I've somehow managed to get two pumps that don't work. I'll never buy those again.

Patriote June 14, 2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightwings (Post 12028)
My fans were running but the pump wasn't so I'm assuming I've somehow managed to get two pumps that don't work. I'll never buy those again.

Is not the MCP655's fault... Is the store's fault. Maybe they were sitting somewhere under dust. Maybe they were just sitting there not stored correctly and when you ordered 2 they just decided to send you those...Who knows!

Get an RMA number quick!

Good luck! I know how it suck to get DOA stuff.

cdn_Madrach June 14, 2007 04:10 PM

If I'm not mistaken Babrbarrosa had a similar prob and it was the power supply not the pump. For some reason he had to have certain things plugged in to draw enough amps for the psu to work(or something like that). The odds of you getting 2 bad pumps....while not entirely impossible...not very likely. To power mine up I've even place it next to a working pc( not powered up)and plugged in a spare molex from that system. When I turned on the pc the loop fired up and I just kept filling res as needed:)

Babrbarossa June 14, 2007 04:20 PM

Yeah- what Madrach said- with some PSUs, they won't power up unless there's a full compliment of stuff plugged into the PSU (safety feature, i guess)- I ended up plugging it into another computer's PSU to bleed the system and leak test.

Patriote June 14, 2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babrbarossa (Post 12042)
Yeah- what Madrach said- with some PSUs, they won't power up unless there's a full compliment of stuff plugged into the PSU (safety feature, i guess)- I ended up plugging it into another computer's PSU to bleed the system and leak test.

Yeah that could be true. If i remember, i had to plug my MCP355 using another comp as well.

3.0charlie June 14, 2007 06:19 PM

Actually I stated all this in the second paragraph of my reply. Anyway. This pump is speed-adjustable. Have you tried changing the speed, from 5 to 1 and back? On the first pump that I installed the potentiometer was picky, where between 4 and 5 it would not make correct contact and start the pump.

cdn_Madrach June 14, 2007 06:49 PM

Sorry bout that Charlie....didn't meen to repeat you. I was mostly just trying to back you up and also throw in Babrbarrosa's experience :) My bad. One thing about the 655 I just found out though was there is 2 versions of the same pump. One has adjustable speed and one dosen't... just in case his dosen't and nightwings thinks he really has bad pumps:) I beleive the one without thwe adjustment is $10 cheaper. Anyways good luck Nightwings and don't give up too easy.:thumb:
PS..don't forget pics:biggrin:

3.0charlie June 14, 2007 06:58 PM

Don't worry, no problem here. But I'm pissed off that the OP gives up so rapidly. When you build a rig, problems do happen. You troubleshoot, replace parts and finally you congratulate yourself on a job well done. Then open a beer.

Well, return your pumps and never buy such a great product again.

10$ the pumps are fine.

John

PS. Thanks for the info, I didn't know there were 2 versions of that pump.
PS2. 2 pumps? Must be one heck of a rig.