Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default How to pressurize a rad?

I have a small leak in one of my loops, lost ~1/2" of coolant in my micro-res over about 4 months so not a major issue. I'm confident the leak is in the rad, last time I had it out I tried a few methods to see where it is so I could give it a touch of solder to seal it up but I didn't find anything. I'm going to be doing some work on this system in the near future and am going to take another crack at finding it and I want to pressurize the rad and look for air bubbles, I'm assuming it will be a very slow forming bubble.

Anyway, Anybody seen any nifty adapters that I can use on 1/2" tubing that has a standard air valve on it so I can add pressure with a bicycle pump? or am I going to have to Macgyver one?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old March 27, 2009, 09:43 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

just use 2 rubber bungs, cut a small hole in one. it will hold enough pressure to test for leaks.
Old March 27, 2009, 09:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Get a bicyle tire, cut out the valve leaving a fair bit of extra rubber, glue the valve onto the end of a scrap piece of tubing using the extra rubber to create a seal.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 27, 2009, 09:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think you are getting typical Coolant Evaporation common in most types of W/C Tubing.
Unless you are using the really High Grade stuff, you usually will experience some coolant loss over time, be it 2 months or 10 months.
I wouldn't suspect a Leak right off the Hop in my opinion anyways.

What type of tubes do you use?

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 27, 2009, 09:56 AM
Allstar

I just tested a heater core for my truck with a bike tube, I cut a couple of feet out of it that had the valve in it, and clamped the ends onto the inlet and outlet tubes... Give er a couple of pumps of air and Bob's your uncle.
Old March 27, 2009, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Good ideas.

Squeetard, whats a rubber bung?

Soultribunal, I have two loops running side by side, one has lost fluid one hasnt. Also when I was testing when I was leak testing the system months ago I noticed Some wetness on the rads and a little bit if fluid on the table underneath it. Never did find the source. I'm assuming now that the airflow through the rads is evaporating the coolant before a drop can accumulate. I'm using Clearflex BTW.

[edit]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 of 7 View Post
II cut a couple of feet out of it that had the valve in it, and clamped the ends onto the inlet and outlet tubes... Give er a couple of pumps of air and Bob's your uncle.
Genius!
[edit]
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old March 27, 2009, 10:04 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

lol, don't whatever you do, image search that on google!
Old March 27, 2009, 10:05 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

30f7 has the best idea. Smrat.
Old March 27, 2009, 10:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
Good ideas.

Squeetard, whats a rubber bung?

Soultribunal, I have two loops running side by side, one has lost fluid one hasnt. Also when I was testing when I was leak testing the system months ago I noticed Some wetness on the rads and a little bit if fluid on the table underneath it. Never did find the source. I'm assuming now that the airflow through the rads is evaporating the coolant before a drop can accumulate. I'm using Clearflex BTW.

[edit]

Genius!
[edit]

Ah ha, okay see that is info I would have needed first time around before I went diagnosing lol!
Take the Rad off the Loop that you suspect, keep its fittings and tubing on, submerge it in a bucket/sink of water. Plug one Tube with your Thumb , put the other in your mouth and blow.
If it has a small hole, you'll see the bubbles.
This route doesn't cost you anything, and other than having to take the Rad out, should be fairly quick to accomplish.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 27, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah I tried that the last time and no results. I think the leak is small enough that I'd have to keep pressure on it longer than I'm able to without breathing. It really drove me nuts the last time trying to find the leak especially since I'm 99% certain it's in the rad. Hopefully I will have better luck this time through, though it's a slow enough leak that giving it a little squirt of coolant every couple of months is no big deal.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)