Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 26, 2009, 08:16 PM
Rookie

Default how does this delta look to you

So this is my first water cooling build

i am seeing a average of a 3 to 3.5 degree drop once the fluid passes through my rads currently it is only cooling my CPU and that drop is while the chip is at load

With the chip it self i see temps of a max of 72C according to OCCT

what do people normally see in drop from off chip to after rad for water temps

Just so you have an idea this is what i am running even if you dont like the company

Intel Core i7 920 Clocked at 4Ghz 1.38 vcore
Gigabyte Ex58-UD5
G.Skill Ram

watercooling

thermaltake Pump with resivoir--- to
Swiftech Apogge GTZ water block---to
to Temp sensor (in line) ---to
2 X 240mm Thermaltake Rads with the fans that came with them ---to
Thermaltake temp probe with flow indicator in line----back to beginning

This is not my final setup or final case but this is what i have for now. I plan to cool my vid card and the mobo as well once i have all my testing in and done and understand more about what i want and what i need to do to achieve that
Attached Images

Last edited by bobiseverywhere; March 26, 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old March 26, 2009, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Technically speaking, the radiator delta is a little on the high side, suggesting that your flow rates are a little low - which is expected from a Thermaltake pump pushing TT fluid (slightly thicker, iirc) through a GTZ waterblock (fairly restrictive). Most analogue temp probes are +/- 1 degree accurate at best, so it's hard to tell how big a difference the radiator is actually seeing. For the your CPU, I don't think 72 degrees is too bad, but there might be another degree or two to be gained from higher flow rates. A more important measurement would be the temperature difference between the radiator intake air and the outlet fluid (aka air-water delta), which would tell you how efficiently the system is handling the processor's heat, and how much headroom you have for more components.
Old March 26, 2009, 09:02 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the info i will see if i can get some intake air temps as well just need to find something to take that with :)

Also i forgot to mention that i am using Fesser fluid not TT fluid The pump i have has a flow rate of 500 liters per hour or 132 Gallons per hour or 2.2 gallons per minute (for those who like to see gallons) I thought that this would be sufficient for flow rate. The tubing i have is 3/8" ID

Thanks for the info though
Old March 26, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, that flowrate is a zero-restriction maximum rating, which you will never actually see in real life. Even worse, those TT pumps slow down really quickly under restriction, far more than even other common watercooling pumps.

To try and get a little perspective on this, when a guy named Martin over on Xtremesystems was doing radiator testing, he had his loop running at a measured 1.5gpm. And he was dumping about 600W into his system (probably 2.5-3 times as much heat as your processor is. Despite that, even in the worst scenarios, the water-in/water-out delta was only 1.5 degrees at most. Without getting too hung up on the exact numbers, but using that as a bit of a baseline, your loop likely has 1) a lower flowrate, and 2) hotter fluid. Now, your current loop is clearly working, but I'd suspect that adding more components (more restriction AND more heat), would likely hurt your current temps a fair bit.

That's my 2c, anyway.
Old March 27, 2009, 05:56 AM
Rookie

good point about the flow rate i do not have a flow meter so i could not tell you what flow rate i am getting now with all the restrictions

Air temps i am getting are as follows

Idle Intake 22.9C Both Rads
Idle Exhaust rad 1: 24.9C rad 2: 24.6C

Rad 1 load
Intake i saw 22.9C
Exhaust 26.4C

Rad 2
intake 22.9C
Exhaust 26.2C

And my body gave the temp probe a 35.1C :) between my thumb and index finger

i will see if i can find that review from Xtremesystems

I dont know what his fluid temps were yet but my analog probes say i am at 25.7C before rads and 23.8C After at idle

Last edited by bobiseverywhere; March 27, 2009 at 06:06 AM.