Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Question on Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/1611-question-cooling.html)

lcdguy June 12, 2007 01:27 PM

Question on Cooling

Basically i would like something answered here if possible. When it comes to computers i am not new by far, but water cooling is something that has interested me for a while but i am not comfortable with possible crushing the core on my x1900xt.

Right now i am running stock speeds (no oc) and was wondering if water cooling is worth the extra money / risk, or sohuld i just be happy with my current setup.

Chipset Cooling - Built in Passive heat pipe system
GPU - Stock ATI Cooler
CPU - Thermalright XP90 / 92mm Silenx Fan
120mm x2 Silenx Fans

After looking at some water cooling parts i figured that it cost me around 400-600 for a decent system since i would have to replace my case (antec Sonata)

I welcome any suggestions. if i were to go water cooling on the cpu and gpu would be water cooled.

Babrbarossa June 12, 2007 02:56 PM

Well- It is my opinion that a $450 custom water cooling is definately not worth the money in terms of $/performance, but I recommend it whole-heartedly, if your hobby is computer hardware and overclocking. It alot of fun to research, build,a nd tweak with. Temperatures are much lower, so while you migth not get double the overclock, your gear will be able to withstand higher 24/7 OCs due to the lower temps. I built my first WC this year, and I enjoy it very much-

On the other hand, your system is getting outdated, and while 450 bucks won't give you a full upgrade, it might be a good start on saving toward one. But the other side of that is that a Custon WC setup can be used on a new system provided you choose your parts with that in mind.

I also think you can probably WC almost any case provided you're willing to do some chopping (I think that's the fun part)

cdn_Madrach June 12, 2007 02:59 PM

Hey Lcdguy. As far as crushing your core on the 1900...not really possible ..at least with the swiftech WB. I water cooled both my 1900's and cpu. The temp difference in my gpu's was nothing short of amazing. With stock coolers the cards ran 45 at idle and over 70 under load...when I oc'd them load temps hit 80+ :(. After watercooling cards idle temps 32 and load 47. I oc'd cards to the max setting on overdrive(ati) and max load temps only hit 49-50:)

Eldonko June 12, 2007 03:14 PM

I would put the $ towards a C2D CPU, MB and DDR2 personally. Water cooling will help you oc a few mhz and eliminate noise, but the fps difference between a c2d system and a64 is much greater than maybe 2-5% more GPU oc. Just my 2c.

Patriote June 12, 2007 07:36 PM

I agree with everything that has been said in here. Crushing your GPU core with a WB ? Not really possible. I would also save the money for a new C2D Set-up instead. 400$ - 600$ for a decent watercooling system ? Thats way too much. For 300$ you get something damn good for a novice like you.

Supergrover June 12, 2007 08:18 PM

Myself, and I am on 939, I would invest the money you would spend on a C2D system. As almost everyone has posted the performance gain you would get from water would not be the same as if you went to a C2D setup.
If you dont have enough cash consider Asrock S775 4CoreDual-VSTA as a fairly cheap foot in the door to a C2D system.

Then Again Water cooling looks so dam cool.:punk:

lcdguy June 12, 2007 09:07 PM

thanks for the input everyone, I personally don't see a need to upgrade to c2d just yet. I use one at work and for what i normally do in the day i haven't seen a performance increase. So i will wait a bit as i have been burned in the past by intel which is why i am on my 5th amd rig. Perhaps once vista matures more and i feel it's worth it to upgrade i will probably go all out. For now i will take the advice here. Additionally i don't want to dump on the recommendation of asrock but i will never own an asrock board i would rather get a more reliable one and save up a bit more.

CMetaphor June 13, 2007 01:49 PM

Lcdguy.... booyeah to you man. Dont give in to all the C2D hype, lol. Stay with AMD and patient. Theyre still incredible processors and will one day regain their proper place (on top, hehe). Also, an opty 165 is an awsome oveclocker for 939... possibly one of the best from what ive heard/seen. If i recall correctly a properly WC'd 165 opty can reach well over 2.5ghz (from 1.8). I even have a friend that has reached over 3GHz with a phase-change cooling setup... although i dont recommend the phase change cooling since its extremely expensive ($600-1000 or more). On the other hand, they have some very pretty all in one phase change units that are made to sit under a lian-li case and match its stylings. asetek A/S Purty aint it? *coughwithprocessorsreachingdowntothenegativesinde gcelsiuscough*

Again, phase-change is extreme, but more than likely can find a cheaper WC loop on everyones favorre bargin bin... Ebay! (just like i have... twice).

lcdguy June 13, 2007 03:15 PM

actually i have easily pushed my opty to 2.4 on air. I purchased the equipment for my wc setup i will post pics later.

ebdoradz June 13, 2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMetaphor (Post 11929)
Lcdguy.... booyeah to you man. Dont give in to all the C2D hype, lol. Stay with AMD and patient. Theyre still incredible processors and will one day regain their proper place (on top, hehe). Also, an opty 165 is an awsome oveclocker for 939... possibly one of the best from what ive heard/seen. If i recall correctly a properly WC'd 165 opty can reach well over 2.5ghz (from 1.8). I even have a friend that has reached over 3GHz with a phase-change cooling setup... although i dont recommend the phase change cooling since its extremely expensive ($600-1000 or more). On the other hand, they have some very pretty all in one phase change units that are made to sit under a lian-li case and match its stylings. asetek A/S Purty aint it? *coughwithprocessorsreachingdowntothenegativesinde gcelsiuscough*

Again, phase-change is extreme, but more than likely can find a cheaper WC loop on everyones favorre bargin bin... Ebay! (just like i have... twice).

running my Opteron 165 @ 2.8Ghz on air

i can easely hit 3Ghz with 1.42V ... and im only @ 48C under load there

i good opty 165 would run at 30C under load with a decend OC