Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2009, 04:57 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the Shoppers suggestion I'm going to head there in a bit to find some distilled. Wal-Mart here didn't have any, I already went and checked... I will probably just invest in the tubing downt he road... To bad I cant turn it blue, o well, ya it's not worth the 30 dollars to me to buy pre-done kits.
Old March 20, 2009, 08:35 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Can't you get distilled water in any groceries? you can usually fill your 18L jug at a machine with distilled water. It's less than $5 usually.
Old March 20, 2009, 08:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomberman07 View Post
Can't you get distilled water in any groceries? you can usually fill your 18L jug at a machine with distilled water. It's less than $5 usually.
Yes and no. Yes, grocery stores do have 2/4L distilled water in plastic bottles. No, the water that you're thinking from the machine is not distilled. It's filtered water from tap water. The concentration is different in terms of minerals. Of course, someone correct me if am wrong.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magelan View Post
Yes and no. Yes, grocery stores do have 2/4L distilled water in plastic bottles. No, the water that you're thinking from the machine is not distilled. It's filtered water from tap water. The concentration is different in terms of minerals. Of course, someone correct me if am wrong.
Nope, you've got it bang on.

It's also important to check out the specs on the different distilled waters in the jugs. Some will have a higher mineral content than others.... the lower the better.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 20, 2009, 09:25 PM
Rookie

Excellent thanks for the help! I'll make sure to keep an eye on those mineral contents. One guy on another forum suggested I completely disassemble the cpu block and clean it with like a brush. He also suggested I disassemble the pump and clean it as well. Is this all necessary?

I don't want to go through the trouble of cleaning it all so thoroughly if I don't have too, but I also don't want to wreck the pump or rad... Thanks again for the help!

Figure I'll add another few questions in here.. Do I need any sort of additive to prevent corrosion or rusting or anything like that? I'll be putting algaecide so I don't have to change the water as often, anything else I need to put in there??

Will be assembly everything tomorrow morning after I pick up distilled water and additives.

Cheers!

Last edited by Barber; March 20, 2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old March 20, 2009, 10:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Disassembling the block is not a bad idea. They restrict flow, it's surprising what can build up in there. I wouldn't disassemble the pump though, just flush with boiling water, then distilled.
Attached Images

Old March 20, 2009, 11:17 PM
Rookie

I second disassembling all blocks. Each block I opened had left over machinery metal strands that could eventually run through your loop and cause issues especially if it gets stuck inside your pump.

Plus you'll get to clean finger prints and any unwanted human oil.
Old March 21, 2009, 05:19 AM
Rookie

Alright then I'll take apart the block as soon as I get home from work, flush the pump with boiling water as well. I'm hoping to get this all up like by the end of day.... But we'll see.
Do I need any sort of additive to prevent corrosion or rusting or anything like that? Or just an algaecide? I'm thinking a silver coil or just head to a pet store and get something...

Also wouldn't vinyl dye work to just make my tubes blue?? I mean I have vinyl tubes, it seems to make sense to me.... Cheers everyone thanks for the help!
Old March 21, 2009, 06:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Unless you are running mixed metals in your system you don't need corrosion inhibitors, so brass, copper, nickel is all fine together, just no aluminum. Rusting, these metals don't really oxidize the same way that steel does, copper/brass you just get a tarnish over time, and in time will get that blackened/green look to it(think Parliament).
Old March 21, 2009, 07:45 AM
Rookie

Awesome man thanks a ton for that great info!! I'll just throw in a touch of algaecide and I'll be ready to go. Non-acid based algaecide should work well. I'm excited now to get all this done!

[Edit] How do I know if I'm using mixed metals??

Last edited by Barber; March 21, 2009 at 07:57 AM.