Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Here comes the noob (I bet you're used to it now) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/15608-here-comes-noob-i-bet-youre-used-now.html)

Lpfan4ever March 9, 2009 09:42 PM

Here comes the noob (I bet you're used to it now)

Well, got my loop set up and running, only to find that my EK Supreme was leaking at the barbs (from under, not where the tubing is). The one thing that's messing with me is that the barbs I have had no o-ring, and when trying the smallest one I had from another fitting, it sat on top of the block with a large amount of the o-ring exposed.
Obviously this is a PEBCAK issue, maybe someone could help me with this, that seems to be the only issue it my loop. I have a feeling I need some different kind of barbs than I currently possess.
And to sum it up: :angry2::censored::help::doh::blarg::sad:

Basically what I've got is:
DDCPX Pro<MCR220(I believe)<EK Supreme Acetal<Swifty NB Block (something30, too tired and fed up to go look)<MCRes V2, all inside an HAF.

element291 March 9, 2009 09:58 PM

Ok, so you are leaking at the stop fittings?

Lpfan4ever March 9, 2009 10:01 PM

Yep. Right where the barbs and top of the block touch (well, barely touch that is) It's a small leak, but running for a couple minutes the paper towel under it was completely soaked.

enaberif March 9, 2009 10:01 PM

What barbs are you using?

Every barb should come with an o-ring that should seal well.

MpG March 9, 2009 10:03 PM

If the barbs didn't have any o-ring, that's likely the problem, and that definitely needs to be fixed. Don't try using teflon tape/plumbers goop, because even the smallest bit of that breaking loose will clog the block's guts. Not entirely certain what you're talking about with the second set of barbs, but is it possible to remove their o-rings and put them on the original fittings?

element291 March 9, 2009 10:04 PM

hmm, you may want to pick up 2 new stop fittings.

Bitspower -TRUE SILVER- G1/4 Threaded Stop Fitting

Lpfan4ever March 9, 2009 10:05 PM

Well, the person I got my new rad from threw in these barbs along with the plastic ones. It never clued to me that the block Linus sent me would be without barbs.
Oh, and here's what they look like, minus the o-ring of course:
http://www.thecoolingemporium.co.uk/images/a14g14b.jpg

element291 March 9, 2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpfan4ever (Post 161139)
Well, the person I got my new rad from threw in these barbs along with the plastic ones. It never clued to me that the block Linus sent me would be without barbs.
Oh, and here's what they look like, minus the o-ring of course:

Ah, misunderstanding. So your barb is leaking? Not the stop fitting.

I'd just buy some new barbs, unless you have some extra ones lying around that you can snag the orings off of.

Lpfan4ever March 9, 2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by element291 (Post 161140)
Ah, misunderstanding. So your barb is leaking? Not the stop fitting.

I'd just buy some new barbs, unless you have some extra ones lying around that you can snag the orings off of.

That's the thing, I tried taking o-ring off another set of barbs, and when I screw down the barbs, the o-ring doesn't set into any sort of groove, it just basically sits on top of the block's top, partially set inside a groove.
I'll get pictures tomorrow if possible, but I have to go to bed or else I'm not going to be able to wake up tomorrow. Now where'd I put that asprin, agghhh.

MpG March 9, 2009 10:41 PM

Not all barbs have recessed grooves for the o-rings, and that Supreme doesn't have much of a groove in its top either. If you're careful and tighten down the barbs (w/ orings installed) snugly, it should work fine. You just have to make sure the fitting doesn't pinch the orings out from underneath it, since that'll ruin the seal.