Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2009, 12:18 AM
Allstar

Default Loop mock up

Hey guys, I did this really fast just to sort of show how I'd like to layout my loop. I just need to know if it will work logically. I'm thinking of taking off those two rear fans, mounting a dual fan rad with the fans attatched to blow the air through the rad, and out the back of the case.

The fittings would be at the bottom, the question is, would the pump be able pump the water up through the rad to cool it. Or will it just get pumped to the CPU Block, and half-a** bypass going all the way up through the rad?

*** take it easy on my drawing, i did it in about 2 minutes. Also, take it easy on me, im a total noob to WC***

Thanks

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old March 4, 2009, 05:45 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well your rad will have 2 spaces for fittings on it, an inlet and outlet so you don't need to worry:).

Other than that you will be fine, but you might need to pick up a 90 degree bend for that tube going into the pump. Luckily NCIX now has some of the really nice Bitspower stuff, like this lovely little gem.
Old March 4, 2009, 05:55 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I'm no WC'ing expert, but shouldn't the Res and/or fillport be at the highest point in the loop? In case of air bubbles.....
Old March 4, 2009, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

your res should be high. but if you use a mounting for the res then leave it unmounted to fill the system then mount it once all the air pockets are out then mount anywhere you had already planed and yes you can go through you rad first then to your cpu block as long as you use a good pump
Old March 4, 2009, 06:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

and make sure to run out your loop for a least 24 hours to check for leaks and air ( trust me it can save you a lot of money)
Old March 4, 2009, 06:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The res doesn't really NEED to be at the highest point, it just makes things easier. What I have done in the past is just attach a fitting to the fillport of my res and affix a short bit of spare tubing to fill my loop, no fussing with case orientation and less chance of a mess(getting a damn funnel to stay in the fillport of the res can be hard).

Observe, I filled this lady last night and bleeding it was very easy, if you turn up your pump to max(MCP655) it generally mulches all the air and it comes out as foam, ugly but it works.
*seriously, stay away from the Feser One Orange, it's so fugly*
Old March 4, 2009, 06:50 AM
Allstar

So a strong pump should be able to push water though the loop i designed?

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old March 4, 2009, 06:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes. chuckle what cooling add are you using nice color
Old March 4, 2009, 06:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i see thank still sleep i guess
Old March 4, 2009, 07:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by element291 View Post
So a strong pump should be able to push water though the loop i designed?
No doubt, an MCP655 or 355 are both great pumps. If you want a nice integrated solution the 355 with a restop is fantastic to neaten up the look of the loop.

Here's an example:

The result is a very clean and contained loop, compare that to the madness you sometimes get with a giant MCP655 and a res floating around. Note that the MCP355 IS a quite loud pump, by comparison the 655 can be turned down so if you have headroom(plenty of flow and good temps) you can adjust it down. At the 4/5 mark I was able to run fluid through a D-tek Fuzion, EK FC8800 block, an MCR220 and MCR120, a PA 120.3, a micro-res and about 4-6 feet of tubing.