Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default ordered some more parts what else do I need

Ok I order some more parts,Swiftech MCR220 , Swiftech MCB-120 Radbox ( just in case I can't figure out how to mount rad inside my case Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Red 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing (10ft) , Bitspower G1/4 Straight Compression Fittings for 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing (Pair) x3. I already have the mcp655 and a custom v8 stinger cpu block with the 1/2 " fat boys , later I will be upgrading my vid card. what else do I need? I know that since there are 3 fittings on the stinger cpu heatsink that I am going to have to t it? or how do I do this ?
Old February 28, 2009, 12:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yes, you're going to have to use a T-fitting. Make sure the center hole on the waterblock is the inlet, and the outside two are the outlet.

You might also want to go down to your local hardware/autoparts store and try to get a couple of thicker o-rings for the fittings going on the radiator, since the Swiftech models have a countersunk groove in them that might keep the standard compression fitting o-rings from sealing properly. Once you get the parts, try them and see - the pressure needs to be on the oring, no the fitting itself.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Yes, you're going to have to use a T-fitting. Make sure the center hole on the waterblock is the inlet, and the outside two are the outlet.

You might also want to go down to your local hardware/autoparts store and try to get a couple of thicker o-rings for the fittings going on the radiator, since the Swiftech models have a countersunk groove in them that might keep the standard compression fitting o-rings from sealing properly. Once you get the parts, try them and see - the pressure needs to be on the oring, no the fitting itself.
thats for reply. and thanks for the advice.
great ok now I just have to wait for the parts to arrive ...

Edit I forgot to ask should I lap my CPU since I know that the stinger is totally flat?

Last edited by Shadowmeph; February 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old February 28, 2009, 09:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Personally, I wouldn't bother lapping unless you think your temperatures are going to be the limiting factor. Depending on how high you overclock, and how much voltage you're willing to feed the chip, you might never reach the point where your temperatures are the issue. Furthermore, not all chips even need lapping in the first place.
Old March 1, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Personally, I wouldn't bother lapping unless you think your temperatures are going to be the limiting factor. Depending on how high you overclock, and how much voltage you're willing to feed the chip, you might never reach the point where your temperatures are the issue. Furthermore, not all chips even need lapping in the first place.
ok I just thought that i might have to because the stinger was totally flat, this is a good thing because I am a little nervous in the lapping department. where do I find distilled water and how much do I need?
Old March 1, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
ok I just thought that i might have to because the stinger was totally flat, this is a good thing because I am a little nervous in the lapping department. where do I find distilled water and how much do I need?
I just grab mine from safeway or somesuch, a 4 liter will last many loops. Think it was only a couple of dollers. IIRC
Old March 3, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lol thats funny I never noticed it but probably walked right past it 1000 times lol