Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   i need some opinion on my cooling set up (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/1516-i-need-some-opinion-my-cooling-set-up.html)

ebdoradz June 3, 2007 06:13 PM

i need some opinion on my cooling set up

Im curently using this monster cooler made by Thermaltake

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/C...5/cl-p0025.asp

i use a dual fan setup, and im pretty happy with my temp ( about 30 idle and 43 full load) whit my opty rig in sig

ive build a rig with same case has mine (TT armor) and a 3800+ EE (am2) for my firend, ive push that little baby to 2.4Ghz 1.3V, he decided to get an Arctic cooling freezer 64 pro which is 23$ ion DC.com he is getting some incredible low temps (25-26 idle and 36 full load )

my opty is currently running @ 1.28V 2.8Ghz, under my TT cooler, and im getting a bit higher temp then his system and both system are running in the same room at the same time. (30 idle 43 full load)

my system is in my sig and he's system is :

Asus M2n-E
amd athlon 64 x2 3800+ EE (2.4Ghz stock vcore)
arctic cooling freezer 64 pro
2 gb OCZ gold XTC PC6400 ddr2 800
7600GT evga
4 seagate 80gb raid (2 raid 0 - OS and 2 raid 1 for back up)

here's a little paint pic of where the fan are in our both armor
left y armor with my TT cooler
right his armor with the lower temp

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/6/15208464727.jpg

im think that since my cooler move air from bottum to top, it kill my air flow

1st choice : i'm in the procces to make a mod to get the fan in the air flow like his frezzer 64 pro is to see if it improve temp

2nd choice : i was wondering if the freezer could give me lower temp then what i have right now if the TT mod dont give any iincrease in term of cooler performance

what you think of this??? does the freeze would perform better then my TT cooler???

CMetaphor June 4, 2007 07:37 AM

I personally have the TT tower 112 (same but comes with no fans) and ive always found it best to avoid shooting the airflow into the psu whenever possible EXCEPT when you can invert the power supply (intake cold air from above). Sending all the heat of your processor into a powersupply isnt the best of ideas so i would suggest to use either cooler and find a way to orient it so the airflow goes directly out of the back of the case. Airflow changing directions is MURDER for a systems air cooling capabilities (longtime air oc'er here) which means that when you send the airflow from the processor perpendicular to the case airflow everything slows down... If you still want to have your airflow going in an upwards direction you can "pressurize" you airflow by first having a case with lots of top exhaust and then having all your other fans push air into the case. Heat normally likes to rise so this fact and the pressure from the other fans will force all the hot air up and out...

Wow, i really need to learn the art or paragraphs.... anyways, hope my little banter helped!

PS: Ill make a little paint drawing of my system airflow as an example later on today.

ebdoradz June 4, 2007 08:40 AM

Thnx, CMetaphor

im in the process of drawing a little alloy plate and send it to laser cuting, that way my TT cooler will have his airflow in the case air flow, (front to rear) if that dont help i might pic a Arctic Colling Freezer 64 pro which seem to perform like a Charm, have you personnaly tried that cooler??

any personnal impression on this Arctic cooling cooler?? becaise beside the 3800+ EE i havent try that cooler ...

i would like to know if it realy perform well or if im gonna waste another 25$

ebdoradz June 8, 2007 07:18 PM

i,ve switch my cpu fan, so it suck air from the from and expulse is hot air by the exhaust fan,

seem to have make 1 or 2C diff but nutting more

i think that were i am, a cooler or the other i will have same temp

24C room them and i get 30-31C Idle and 43 full load on my opty 165 @ 2.8Ghz

sswilson June 8, 2007 08:47 PM

Those temps look fairly typical for Air cooling with that kind of OC.

pscout June 9, 2007 12:05 PM

I have several AF7's on my OC'ed dual and quad core intels and they work very well. One on an oc'ed 6600 at 3.5 but with an upgraded fan.

I haven't run one in a case but am about to swap a TT BT out of my son's cased rig for an AF7.

I am not sure how the 64 version mounts, but the intel version is nice with the install from the top - no mobo removal.

You will free up some space inside your case with the AF7. That may help case airflow a bit.

/edit oops after checking your link i do have a silent tower... but never used it on c2d's ... it was on one of my now retired p4 prescotts. My guess is that you will get a bit better performance out of the af7. My comments on space saving in the case were adjusted down ... since there is only a small difference in overall size. I also deleted an irrelevant reference to the sonic tower.

ebdoradz June 10, 2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pscout (Post 11598)
I have several AF7's on my OC'ed dual and quad core intels and they work very well. One on an oc'ed 6600 at 3.5 but with an upgraded fan.

I haven't run one in a case but am about to swap a TT BT out of my son's cased rig for an AF7.

I am not sure how the 64 version mounts, but the intel version is nice with the install from the top - no mobo removal.

You will free up some space inside your case with the AF7. That may help case airflow a bit.

/edit oops after checking your link i do have a silent tower... but never used it on c2d's ... it was on one of my now retired p4 prescotts. My guess is that you will get a bit better performance out of the af7. My comments on space saving in the case were adjusted down ... since there is only a small difference in overall size. I also deleted an irrelevant reference to the sonic tower.

thnx that what i wanted to hear

im have a AF64 in the mail right now, at 23$ on DC its well worth a try

and if i can remove that ugly mounthing thermaltake system from my case i will be happy

pscout June 10, 2007 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebdoradz (Post 11648)
thnx that what i wanted to hear

im have a AF64 in the mail right now, at 23$ on DC its well worth a try

and if i can remove that ugly mounthing thermaltake system from my case i will be happy

Thats what i figured when i tried the first af7 ... can't go too far wrong based on price ... and was pleasantly suprised that it got fairly close to the TT BT which is one of the best.

The TT BT is good for a bench since I can also throw a 220cfm delta on it if need be (with ear plugs) and the mounting isn't that big a deal on a bench. I can also swap the BT with a waterblock since i use the same screws/back plate for both.

I got my silent tower for free on a used mobo/cpu i bought a couple of years ago. The guy i bought it from couldn't figure out how to remove the thing so he just gave it to me. It worked pretty well, but is an ugly thing.

ebdoradz June 10, 2007 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pscout (Post 11650)
Thats what i figured when i tried the first af7 ... can't go too far wrong based on price ... and was pleasantly suprised that it got fairly close to the TT BT which is one of the best.

The TT BT is good for a bench since I can also throw a 220cfm delta on it if need be (with ear plugs) and the mounting isn't that big a deal on a bench. I can also swap the BT with a waterblock since i use the same screws/back plate for both.

I got my silent tower for free on a used mobo/cpu i bought a couple of years ago. The guy i bought it from couldn't figure out how to remove the thing so he just gave it to me. It worked pretty well, but is an ugly thing.

have you try tour AF& in that p4 prescott where you used to us the Silent tower? just to see how the AF7 perfom compare to the TT sillent tower?

cuz i a frioend of mine have a Opty 165 @ 2.7Ghz and he is running a Thermalright SI-120 and i have better temp then he is with my TT silent tower i hope that the AF64 wont disapoint me

werty316 June 10, 2007 10:41 PM

I would go with the push-pull setup.