Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2009, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Once you're done this, use your laundry room sink, the ones with the threads on the end that you can attach a hose to.
Old February 12, 2009, 11:47 PM
Top Prospect

This sounds interesting, but irresponsible and wasteful..

Go tell the hundreds of people that die every day from lack of clean water what you are doing with it here in canada...

Last edited by D4ng3r; February 12, 2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old February 13, 2009, 12:02 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have a friend that used his fishtank, with fish as his resevoir.... gotta make sure your fish like warm water :) I've also seen some guy plumb his pool as his resevoir.

Have an A-1 day!
Old February 13, 2009, 08:26 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4ng3r View Post
This sounds interesting, but irresponsible and wasteful..

Go tell the hundreds of people that die every day from lack of clean water what you are doing with it here in canada...
jeez debbie downer, if I ran some benchmarks with a 10psi pressure reducer we are talking about a few liters tops...

And before you say "think of what a few liters of water could do for little malawi?!?" please remember 2 things, one, as if you havent spent an extra couple minites in the shower from time to time, and 2 clean water poured down the drain is not "wasted", it goes down the drain, into the ocean, evaporates and then falls back down on my head tommorow as rain. I live on Vancouver Island, it rains 8 months a year, I am not going to apologise for living in a place where fresh water falls from the sky

I am not advocating this as a "run all day folding rig" solution, just a "wonder what temps you can get" curiosity type thing.

rant over, I may take the leap on the i7/5 series later this year, so this rig will get this idea tried out on it then.
Old February 13, 2009, 09:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
If you're worried about the pressure busting up your loop you could always have the tap flowing into a container then use a regular pump to push the water through the loop. If you actually try it: Insulate, insulate, insulate and know what you're doing; condensation will destroy your CPU if you're not careful.
I did something like that when I was cleaning my loop. Had the tap flow into a Pepsi 2L bottle and I drilled a hole in the bottom the size of my tubing and shoved it in. Suffice to say, the pump (MCP355) drained that 2L bottle faster than my tap could run...

However I have really shyt water pressure. Damn city! I know it's the city's fault though cause when they were cleaning all the sewers/pipes, we had our water coming in through our outside tap via a fire hydrant and man did we have some awesome water pressure.
Old February 13, 2009, 10:24 AM
Allstar

mine is bad too, its from a cistern at the top of the hill so the pressure should be great (50ft above my house), but its ass...
Old February 13, 2009, 02:33 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
I am not advocating this as a "run all day folding rig" solution, just a "wonder what temps you can get" curiosity type thing.
Yeah thats a bit different then. I thought you were looking for a permanent solution to cool the computer, in which case I don't care where you live, its irresponsible.
Old February 13, 2009, 02:56 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4ng3r View Post
Yeah thats a bit different then. I thought you were looking for a permanent solution to cool the computer, in which case I don't care where you live, its irresponsible.
still disagree, running fresh water down the drain isn't nearly as bad as people seem to think it is. The drain is not a black hole that removes the water from the space-time continuum, eventually it returns to the water table unless it is used in a consumptive manner (and even then it usually finds it's way back into the cycle).

I realize that you are trying to point out that some areas of the world are without potable water, and that is true, but unless everyone starts bottling water and mailing it over (which would actually remove it from our water cycle/system, eventually turning us into the ones without water) I really don't see how that arguement has much weight.

Regardless, just a fun weekend thing, not permanent.
Old February 13, 2009, 08:21 PM
Top Prospect

Letting water run down the sink contributes to green house gases. When you waste water you are using electricity, chemicals (both in treating the water coming in and the waste water you are producing) and in fuel and labour to get the treatment chemicals to your town/city. I admit, my overseas-shortage-of-water argument is lacking, but its still better not to leave the tap on.

Point made, point taken, fun weekend things are just that- fun, hope the loop works for ya!
Old February 14, 2009, 09:48 AM
Allstar

oh for sure, you just wandered into a "discussion" I have been having with my wifes "environmentalist" friend.

I use quotes due to it being an arguement with smiles and she is the biggest hypocrite I know. She won't buy leather cause it kills animals, but she will buy purses/shoes etc made of PVC instead. I swear the manufacture of PVC kills more animals than leather...

Alls good.