Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2009, 11:15 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default fitting a mcr320 and 120X36mm in a CM wavemaster

I'm wondering if anyone has worked with this case before, and if anyone have ideas on fitting the mcr320 in the case. Its quite a small case... so im kinda stuck on how i can internally mount the rad with 36mm fans.

I was thinking of somehow moving the psu holder to the bottom and mounting the raid ontop. Do anyone have suggestions on this? and how tough of a job it would be?

Also, on a side note.. does anyone know where i can buy aluminum supplies in canada? (calgary primary) for a decent price.

Just in case you dont know what the case is:

MODTHEBOX.COM - Canada's Premier Case Modding Source - Reviews - Cooler Master Wave Master TAC-T01-BK Aluminum Case Review
Old February 11, 2009, 04:41 AM
Allstar

I don't think so bud. The only way you can install that rad is either extend the feet and mount it underneath or your better off mounting it on top or in the rear with extensions. The rad is 40cm and the case is about the same height but has a depth of around 54cm but with the motherboard installed and the powersupply in the way, there's no way you can mount that rad in there.

CHEERS
Old February 11, 2009, 05:11 AM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I don't think so bud. The only way you can install that rad is either extend the feet and mount it underneath or your better off mounting it on top or in the rear with extensions. The rad is 40cm and the case is about the same height but has a depth of around 54cm but with the motherboard installed and the powersupply in the way, there's no way you can mount that rad in there.
thats y im thinking of moving the psu to the bottom...
Old February 11, 2009, 05:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you move the PSU to the bottom of the case, how would it exhaust out the back? Even if you managed it, I'd think that it'd be a major PITA accessing your motherboard components, and it would take up the great majority of your motherboard slots.

Unfortunately, I'm thinking that the only option would be to mount it off of the back with a radbox, or hardmount it up top like I did here..... http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...s.html#post304 .

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 11, 2009, 05:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Using your idea it will end up like this:
Name:  1 copy.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  65.9 KB

It will work, but it will be a PITA to work in your case, if you don't mind that, the go right ahead and do it!

That being said, what sswilson is suggesting (and I would to) is mount your RAD+FANS up top like this:
Name:  2 copy.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  77.1 KB

You'll be able to get in and out of your case much easier, it will be easier to work with, and your DVD drive won't look weird for being in the middle of the 5.25" bays.
Old February 11, 2009, 07:51 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
thats y im thinking of moving the psu to the bottom...
Powersupply in the bottom? you'll have to do some cutting since the pws is wider then the bay trays if you're thinking of installing it near the front. Placing the power supply in front of the motherboard will definitely not work either so I'm not sure where you're going with this.

Give it a shot...be interesting to see what you came up with.

Good Luck

CHEERS
Old February 11, 2009, 08:06 AM
Rookie
F@H

externally mounting the rad would be a last resort... as i just dont liek it (looks ugly to me :p)

I guess i should mention that the mobo tray is removeable, so is the psu backplate thiny. The only thing i would have to relocate is the psu bracket and the mobo tray sliding slots. which might take some time but 'shouldnt' be that big of a job. I guess what i'm aming for is a antec300/cm690 style of layout (w/ psu on the bottom).

Dono if my explanation helps =/
Old February 11, 2009, 08:09 AM
Banned
F@H

what about mounting it on the side panel behind the mobo tray, at an angle, or parallel to the top/bottom??
Old February 11, 2009, 09:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You will have to take out so much metal you will structurally ruin the case and your airflow will be crap. As for ugly. you will either have your power cord coming out the front of your case or your PSU will be venting inside the case.

Don't forget that all the standoffs in the motherboard tray are aligned to use the current configuration. Simply swapping the PSU area with the PCI slot area will leave your motherboard standoffs in the wrong spots.

Get a new case.
Old February 11, 2009, 07:13 PM
Rookie
F@H

here is a pict of the removable mobo tray.... as you can see.. attaching it is simply screwing in the 4 screws into the back of the case... not much hackin/slashing involved which would damage the structural integrity of the case.

psu backplate, same story as the mobo tray, not much work involved....

here is a pict of the mobo tray removed... the top is the psu bracked (which wont really be needed if its going to be mounted on the bottom).
on the bottom is the mobo tray track(dono what you would call it), to slide in/out the mobotray and keep it in place.. this will probably be what most of the modding would be involved.. moving/making the track to the top of the case.

better pict of the track (bottom)

pict of the top track, attaches to the tab on the psu bracket

so yah, this shouldnt be that big of a job... should it?

this also brings me to y i need aluminum material, as i would have to sand down the bottom channel... and adding a new one on the top of the case?