Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 2, 2009, 11:33 AM
Rookie

Default advice for updating tubing and pump.

hello all,

i need to do some maintenance work on my rig, and i think that "by way of" i will update my water coold system, so i have 2 quastion.

1. is it worth to update the tubing to Tygon (it mast be 3/8in ID 1/2in OD) ? if yes, which one ?
High Quality Tygon Tubing by Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics

2. is there any update kit for the MCP655, that will increase the pump performance (L/H) ? i think on the EK X-TOP V2.

take into consideration that i will replase the tubing anyway, so it will be what you recommending or ClearFlex Tubing (what i have now).

thanks ahead,
Old February 2, 2009, 11:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

I've heard good things about Primochill's tubing, which will probably be what I'll be grabbing next upgrade on my loop. As for tops for the 655, a lot of people seem to agree it doesn't give a big performance upgrade however using some metal barbs on the 655 alone would be enough for me to consider a top worth the extra cost.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old February 2, 2009, 11:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've been pretty happy with the 1/2" primochill tubing, and the available colours are a bonus. OTOH, I just did a build with some 3/8" tygon and it is a higher quality product.

I suppose it depends on how much money you want to spend. The tygon is a better product, but it comes at a premium and the primochill is almost as good.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 2, 2009, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

If your current tubing is doing its job, there really isn't any reason to 'upgrade' to Tygon (or any other tubing). You're not going to see any more performance, that much is certain. The thicker-walled Tygon is fairly kink-resistant (stay away from the thinner-walled stuff), but the other brands are similar, and come in different colours (Tygon WILL go cloudy within a few months, no matter what). The one advantage that I think Tygon still has over the other premuim brands is that it's very easy to bend, and as a result, it doesn't put a lot of twisting or sideways force on the waterblocks from tight bends. Chipset blocks on older motherboards (direct-die especially) are bad for this, especially when there's no backing plate, and stiff tubing can actually tilt the waterblock off the chip so it doesn't make proper contact. Since you're looking for 3/8ID-1/2OD, I'm going vote against Tygon if you have any significant bends in your loop. That's the thin-wall stuff, and it just doesn't have the kink-resistance of the thicker-walled stuff.

As for the MCP655 pump, you'll get a small boost from an aftemarket top, but think I'd honestly be surprised if you actually saw a whole degree temperature improvement. But an aftermarket top would let you use regular 3/8" barbs/compression fittings with your 3/8" tubing, making installation easier.
Old February 2, 2009, 05:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I've been pretty happy with the 1/2" primochill tubing, and the available colours are a bonus. OTOH, I just did a build with some 3/8" tygon and it is a higher quality product.

I suppose it depends on how much money you want to spend. The tygon is a better product, but it comes at a premium and the primochill is almost as good.
I have been like feser lately, but tygons good for bends but some colors would be nice.
Other than Black or silver.

Top yield you about 5% performance roughly, not really worth it IMO. Useing your own barbs thought is well worth it if you dont want to shell out the dough for a top, consider cutting and tapping the 655.

Attached is a few shots I had kicking of my 655 with mod kit and top. If you do go with a top the EK's holes are not standard to the 655/D5 mounting plate.

Last edited by Supergrover; February 8, 2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old February 2, 2009, 06:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

Currently none of the top's for the MCP655 offer any performance increase over the stock top, some even are slightly worse than the stock top. I think EK's is the best top, but the stock one is still better at higher pressures I believe. For the tubing, unless your current tubing is clouded and you want clean tubing, you want a new colour tubing, or you are changing the ID, there is no point getting different tubing as it will offer no performance increase over your current tubing.
Old February 2, 2009, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

Primochill is good tubing. I have 10 ft of UV Blue, if your interested. PM ME :)

And as CanadaRox said, most of the tops for MCP655 are a waste of money, the stock pump is quite powerful by itself.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old February 2, 2009, 09:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRox View Post
Currently none of the top's for the MCP655 offer any performance increase over the stock top, some even are slightly worse than the stock top. I think EK's is the best top, but the stock one is still better at higher pressures I believe. For the tubing, unless your current tubing is clouded and you want clean tubing, you want a new colour tubing, or you are changing the ID, there is no point getting different tubing as it will offer no performance increase over your current tubing.
There are a couple of tops that improve the 655 - EK v2 and the DetroitAC top.
Old February 2, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

DetriotAC review

EK v2 review

Neither is earth-shattering in earth improvements. Certainly nothing like the boosts that the DDC pumps gets. But there are some small improvements to be had, although they'd likely rank pretty low on the performance/$ scale. It all depends on your budget.
Old February 4, 2009, 12:25 PM
Rookie

the budget is not the problem (-:, but i search for the lowest invest, otherwise i will buy new (stronger) pump.
so EK or DetriotAC will be the best choice, by the way, there is different pump (12V) that will give me grater performance in comparison to the MCP655 ?

my current rig is on the signature, thanks.
BFG NVIDIA 8800GT OC2 @ 1054@1835@740
OCZ 600W Stealth X Stream
COOLER MASTER STACKER 831 SILVER
VIEWSONIC19'' VP390 / SONY BRAVIA 37''
Watercool rig
Swiftech Apogee GTX//Swiftech MCW30//EK-MOSFET Asus3a//Thermochill PA 120.3 + 6 Yate Loon D12SM//Swiftech MCP655//EK-Multioption RES 100 rev.2//ClearFlex Tubing 1/2" ID 3/4" OD
my project
http://hwzone.co.il/community/index.php?topic=334817.0