Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Reservoir noise (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/14221-reservoir-noise.html)

matsta31 January 26, 2009 05:36 AM

Reservoir noise

Hi,

I am wondering if you guys are having noise problem with your reservoirs. I am using a Swiftech V2 and I can hear water sloshing sound from it. I tried filling it more but it did not change much.

This is my 7 or 8 loop I am building and actually the first with a reservoir. I have always been using T-Line but bleeding was starting to take to much time for me. But, there was absolutely no water movement sound.

Maybe a bigger reservoir could do the job with less sound ?

Varroa January 26, 2009 05:49 AM

I have the same res and can't hear it above the case fans in my system (undervolted 1200 rpm fans running 900 rpm 120mm fans). When I am bleeding, working on the loop and have my case open and the res hanging outside the case I can JUST barely hear mine but it is no louder than the pump. Not sure how noisy yours is but if you can hear it inside your case it means one of two things. Either there is a problem or your case is SO quiet that the sound of the reservoir is the loudest thing in your case. What case are you running and how many fans (specs please)?

magelan January 26, 2009 06:37 AM

My V2 res makes zero water noise and am a noise fanatic. Could it be there is some air bubbles in your loop somewhere such as inside the pump?

SugarJ January 26, 2009 07:31 AM

How much fluid do you have in the res? Try topping it right up to the top.
I also find I have to rock my case to get all the air bubbles out of my rad, that makes a bunch of noise.

matsta31 January 26, 2009 07:58 AM

I'll try filling it to the top. By looking at it I think the water noise comes from the fact that water can move in it because it is just half full. Good point

For system spec :

I have a TJ07,

My top fans are :

ZALMAN FM3 and the stock Silverstone fan + two 92 MM stock silverstone on the side. All on a fan controller tuned down to low noise level.

In the bottom compartment, I have a PA120.3 +2 schythe 120 MM 1400 RPM + 2 YL 1350 RPM all on a fan controller and undervolted.

All in all they dont make too much noise.

CanadaRox January 26, 2009 08:30 AM

You probably still have some small bubbles in your loop that are making the noise. I find when I first fill my loop its fairly loud, but once all the bubbles bleed out it becomes nice and quiet. Try tilting your computer around a bit and see if any bubbles come out.

MpG January 26, 2009 08:51 AM

You shouldn't be getting any noise from that reservoir, as long as the fluid level is above the plastic deflector. In fact, you should hardly have any turbulence at all, above that deflector. I would guess that you've still got some air in your loop, or that the liquid level isn't high enough. It doesn't need to be right up the top, just above the deflector.

matsta31 January 26, 2009 09:20 AM

ok thanks,

it has ben running non stop for a week now, maybe there is some air left, but I tought a week would be enough. I'll try moving the case around a bit and make sure I always have water above the deflector. I'll see the result.

3.0charlie January 26, 2009 09:39 AM

I've used the V1 version of the res quite a few times, and it was dead silent. I made sure the front top barb was the inlet, the the front bottom barb the outlet, and fill the res over the angled divider.

enaberif January 26, 2009 01:16 PM

That res should make NO noise.

As Charlie said top barb = In ; bottom barb = out

Res should NEVER be full and fluid should be just at the bottom of the plastic ramp.

If you are getting noise you possibly have air.

Is the res higher than the pump?