Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Water is the best?

Is water basically really the best solution for liquid cooling?

Decided to set up my main rig up in my new office to leak test it- unfortuantely a lot of people keep coming in to look at it- they are always asking me questions about why water is the best solution, surely there are others?

I've mentioned the metal based liquid cooling solutions, but basically water is the best when confined to radiators- is this really ture?

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old January 24, 2009, 06:24 PM
MVP

Most metals that are liquid at room temperature are also HIGHLY corrosive. That means that your WCing equipment will most likely disappear in a year.

As for what's most effective, I believe Liquid Nitrogen would be the top dog.
However, this is ridiculously inefficient.
Old January 24, 2009, 06:38 PM
Allstar

Liquid metal is only viable as a thermal paste, and only in applications of room temperature and above. There was a company a while back who was trying to bring something out, but they went belly-up.

Water is the easiest solution beyond air cooling, because it is cheap, easy to understand, and very safe -- not electrically conductive (unless you use one of those fancy dyes or coolants). Beyond that, there's phase and peltier, but they are comparatively expensive and not for beginners, whereas any dummy could run a water cooling system.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old January 24, 2009, 06:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yes the liquid metal cooling thing sort of slipped away recently-SKY reviewed a cooler based on it recently.

Phase and Peltier are two things I'll do some homework on to answer some questions. As SG says, water cooling is great to work with though-very simple, just need to plan the layout and thats it.

Old January 24, 2009, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
Yes the liquid metal cooling thing sort of slipped away recently-SKY reviewed a cooler based on it recently.

Phase and Peltier are two things I'll do some homework on to answer some questions. As SG says, water cooling is great to work with though-very simple, just need to plan the layout and thats it.
Wasnt that because it was eating heatsinks?

I seem to remember something to that effect.
Old January 24, 2009, 07:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

In a nutshell, where easily obtainable and safe liquids are concerned, water pretty much beats the pants off anything else. Alcohols and glycols both have worse thermal conductivity and lower specific heat capacity, which works against them.

As far as methods such as phase and tec are concerned, they can be more effective, but since they're both sub-ambient methods, you run into issue surrounding condensation and motherboard insulation, and in more extreme cases, cold-bugging. Technically, they can be run 24/7, but you'd have to be pretty confident in how well your system is set up.
Old January 24, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I totally forgot about that in his review, but I have been taking notes when you guys in this thread mentioned "nasty" liquid metals eat other metal heatsinks or blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
Wasnt that because it was eating heatsinks?

I seem to remember something to that effect.

Old January 24, 2009, 07:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The main reasons right now for Liquid Metal not being viable as a medium is because the 'matrix' of it will break down most metals it comes into contact with.
It won't leak in a year...it would break it down in less than a month depending on the circumstances.

The only Liquid Metals Viable have other consequences:

Mercury: If you don't already know, its a toxin.
Sodium/Potassium : React with Air/Water, sometimes violently.

So yeah, until someone makes rads and blocks out of Tungsten (poor thermals) or Ceramique, those will remain in the closet.

Personally speaking, Water cooling is efficent. However, if you look at the reviews on this site (the Coolit Freezone Elite) you will see that Hybrid systems offer the best of both worlds.

TEC's (or peltier) cooling has come a long way, and the Freezone is the Pinnacle of how one can accomplish this with minimal effort.
Instead of having the Plates on the actual CPU, the use the TEC's to cool the liquid in transit to the CPU. As shown in the review, unless you set the cooling in the Software below ambient, you stand little chance of frying anything.
So, no need to worry there.

Water cooling in a nutshell = the most reliable, but with the potential to be made into so much more with some effort.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 24, 2009, 08:13 PM
Allstar

ST's got it, he knows much more about this sort of stuff than I do. As I recall, the company was going to be using a galinstan-based system.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old January 24, 2009, 08:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G View Post
ST's got it, he knows much more about this sort of stuff than I do. As I recall, the company was going to be using a galinstan-based system.
Actually SG, the only loop I've ever set up in a COmputer was a TT 735. But, I've hooked up about 100 RF Generators with them lol.

As for the Metal stuff, yeah Gallenstien (someone else told me about this on here) its basically Gallium/Indium/Tin alloy.

They use a similar compound on the back of LCD's.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com