Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 23, 2009, 08:13 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,679
Default CPU + Chipset

Can a Swiftech MCR220 be able to sufficiently cool a chipset and cpu?

I'm thinking of going with a Swiftech MCW30 for my board.

I figure it will.. just wanna double check.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 23, 2009, 08:20 PM
MpG's Avatar
MpG MpG is offline
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kitchener, ON
Posts: 3,144
Default

Go nuts. I'm cooling my own X38 chipset and mosfets with an MCR120 and an S-flex running at about 600rpm, and one hour burn barely begins to warm up the rad exhaust air. Chipsets can hit high temps, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're putting out a lot of thermal energy. Besides which, iirc, the P45 chipset uses a smaller fab process, which will only make things easier.
__________________
i7 2600K | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 580GTX | Corsair DDR3-2133
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 23, 2009, 08:21 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Go nuts. I'm cooling my own X38 chipset and mosfets with an MCR120 and an S-flex running at about 600rpm, and one hour burn barely begins to warm up the rad exhaust air. Chipsets can hit high temps, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're putting out a lot of thermal energy. Besides which, iirc, the P45 chipset uses a smaller fab process, which will only make things easier.
Poifect.

I got this new DFI Jr matx board and without a fan on the NB it was hitting temps of over 50' haha but I was putting a bit of voltage through it.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 23, 2009, 08:21 PM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,261

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Can a Swiftech MCR220 be able to sufficiently cool a chipset and cpu?

I'm thinking of going with a Swiftech MCW30 for my board.

I figure it will.. just wanna double check.
I am not real impressed with the performance of my mcw30 but it will fit just about any chipset, channels of some sort would have been nice.

I would say yes it should but have never used a mcr220, but my pa120.2 handle it NP.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 23, 2009, 08:23 PM
Infiniti's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,388

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I am not real impressed with the performance of my mcw30 but it will fit just about any chipset, channels of some sort would have been nice.

I would say yes it should but have never used a mcr220, but my pa120.2 handle it NP.
Pshh.. PA120.2 > MCR220.

Anyways, I had my E6750 in its own loop with the MCR220, and it kept it under 40 at 3.8.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 23, 2009, 08:26 PM
Supergrover's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Okanagan Falls, British Columbia
Posts: 4,261

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
Pshh.. PA120.2 > MCR220.

Anyways, I had my E6750 in its own loop with the MCR220, and it kept it under 40 at 3.8.
No doubt but I have a ton of headroom so the mcr220 should handle it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 23, 2009, 09:13 PM
3.0charlie's Avatar
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 9,679

My System Specs

Default

My MCR-220 cools both the 920 and the stock NB block of the X58-Extreme.
__________________
Hydro-Quebec is salivating...
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 23, 2009, 09:34 PM
Synth's Avatar
Allstar
F@H
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa-Hull
Posts: 688
Default

Using an MCR220 for CPU & Northbridge, and formerly an HD3870 when it was in my main rig without any problems.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 23, 2009, 11:40 PM
SugarJ's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 6,140

My System Specs

Default

I use a Black Ice Stealth 240 to cool my CPU and GPU. The MCR220 is better, and I'd think it would handle that load no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 24, 2009, 12:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 3,344
Default

I guess you can say it is less restrictive, so would definitely do a better job. I was quite surprised to see the temps Gord is getting with his, especially running an E8400 and a hot 4870 card on a dual rad, so definitely would be able to handle that heat load.
__________________
Intel E8400, Biostar TPower i45
G-Skill PC2-8500 4GB, Saphire HD4870 512mb
Cooler Master HAF 932, Enermax Galaxy DXX 1000W
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone want to school me on the 975 chipset? Nodscene CPU's and Motherboards 4 December 9, 2008 07:03 AM
e6600 using p35 chipset? Shadowmeph CPU's and Motherboards 7 January 7, 2008 11:53 AM
Chipset cooler for A8N SLI Cptn Vortex Water Cooling 4 December 10, 2007 02:34 PM
Choosing the best board/ chipset bmfmass Video Cards 3 November 21, 2007 08:32 PM
AMD 690 Chipset sswilson Press Releases & Tech News 4 March 2, 2007 12:54 PM