Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2009, 10:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default How much rad?

Hi guys,

I' m wondering how much radiator I will need for my wc project.

I am gonna be cooling a Q6600, GTX260, X48 north bridge and maybe the mosfets.

My room is on the top floor of the house and it can get hot in here during summer, it is where I have my computer. I plan to oc and I want to keep temps as low as possible.

I have the thought of maybe going three loops, CPU (solo), GPU (solo) and all the rest on another loop dancing around in my head or, I can go single loop I guess. Either way...

What do you guys think and would suggest, for each of those setups?
Old January 18, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Technically you could get away with a good triple rad, but I would go Triple for the CPU+NB, and a dual for the GPU :)

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old January 19, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

If you've got the room, there's nothing wrong with three loops, but between the extra tubing and the extra pumps, you can run out of room really fast. Chipsets don't put out too much heat, and once you've got them on water, an extra degree or two of heat doesn't mean much, so a single rad with a medium-speed fan is fine.

The difference between running the CPU and GPU separately and together isn't going to be much either, as long as you've got the necessary radiator to handle them. A triple rad would likely do a good job, but if you've got space for more radiator area, you could buy yourself a few more degrees, or have the option of using quieter fans. If you run the CPU and GPU together, try to have the GPU second in the loop, since the CPU is more likely to benefit from being a degree or two cooler than the GPU is.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have a case picked out yet- that will to some degree affect your options. Three loops is overkill for sure.
Old January 19, 2009, 06:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Well then, I guess I' m gonna stick with the gear that I got and not go for three loops.

I have a couple of PA 120.3's, a couple of MCP 655's, a Fuzion ver1, EK NB block, DD FC Tieton and I just might get a EK mosfet block.

All one loop with one pump, or both pumps?

P.S

I haven't looked for a case because I was wanting to build one from the ground up but that might change. From your experiences/knowledge, which cases are well suited for modding?
Old January 19, 2009, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you've got the gear and the space, go for two loops- why not?

There's not many cases that will fit dual loops without heavy mods or hanging a bunch of stuff off of the outside. Probably the large mountain mods cases are the easiest to work with. This week I just put two rads in a Silverstone TJ07- worklog is below.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...dual-rads.html
Old January 19, 2009, 07:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
Well then, I guess I' m gonna stick with the gear that I got and not go for three loops.

I have a couple of PA 120.3's, a couple of MCP 655's, a Fuzion ver1, EK NB block, DD FC Tieton and I just might get a EK mosfet block.

All one loop with one pump, or both pumps?

P.S

I haven't looked for a case because I was wanting to build one from the ground up but that might change. From your experiences/knowledge, which cases are well suited for modding?
1. I have a single 655 handling a full single congested loop and running at around 35-38C load at speed 1.5 on the pump. One is enough at speed 3-5 for sure. The question you should ask is do you want to split the loop in two for better temps for the GPU and CPU separately?

2. The case you choose will greatly reduce the temps or increase the temps. If you have the budget (which seems to be the case), then Cooler Master Cosmos S or Cooler Master HAF932 seems to be the choice for a full tower. They're both aimed towards watercooling from the get-go. Cooler Master has just released a variant of the HAF 932 with air filters and less glitz (someone can point to the model). The HAF is priced at $150 whereas the Cosmos is closer to $250. There are otherwise good alternatives out there as well as if you feel like tinkering any case. Generally though, why bother if it's there?
Old January 20, 2009, 06:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Nice build Babr!

Mageland, what is it you got on your loop? Nice case suggestions too.

I am leaning towards a single loop with a single pump or even both pumps if it is worth considering. The only difference between the pumps is that one has the speed controller on it and the other one needs to be plugged into mobo for speed control. It worries me to think what if something would go wrong and they would run at different speeds or in the time it takes to set them both at same speed.

I am also wondering how I should set the direction of the flow. Rad to rad to CPU to NB to GPU to mosfet and back through the rads? Or rad to CPU to NB to rad to GPU to mosfet to rad where it all starts again?

Are pumps placed to pull through rads or push?
Old January 20, 2009, 06:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't try putting two pumps into the same loop. I've never tried it so I can't say for sure, but I suspect trying to get them matched for flow/output would be a nightmare, and unless they're well matched you'd run the risk of the stronger one trying to drain the weaker one's portion of the loop, or the weaker one not being able to keep the other one primed. I could be wrong, but it sounds like a train wreck just waiting to happen. :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 20, 2009, 06:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I wouldn't try putting two pumps into the same loop. I've never tried it so I can't say for sure, but I suspect trying to get them matched for flow/output would be a nightmare, and unless they're well matched you'd run the risk of the stronger one trying to drain the weaker one's portion of the loop, or the weaker one not being able to keep the other one primed. I could be wrong, but it sounds like a train wreck just waiting to happen. :)
Gotcha, and well noted