Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2009, 05:15 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default CoolIT Domino A.L.C CPU Cooler Review comment thread

Our review of the latest CoolIT all in one unit is now live! The Domino may have some built in limitations (and a few small quirks) but it innovative use of technology combined with its improved cooling capabilities makes it a real winner.

To check out our review of the Domino click HERE.

Hope you enjoy it!
AkG

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 14, 2009, 05:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Loved the review AKG as I said before it will likely be my first WC setup, although my TRUE does give it a good run, in terms of "super cool" the domino has it beat hands down
Old January 14, 2009, 06:05 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I know our rep from CoolIT will soon chime in so I want to steal some of his thunder by answering some of the concerns I know he will have:

1) We use AC MX-2 thermal compound in order to keep temperatures even across all of the units tested. If we used different TIM for each cooler, the results would not be repeatable nor would the represent actual comparative performance numbers.

2) Like it or not, the Performance fan setting does not seem to allow the Domino to outperform the better-designed air coolers on the market. It would be interesting to see what effects a fan with a higher static pressure envelope would have on cooling but I have been working AkG to the bone and things like that take time.
Old January 14, 2009, 07:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
2) Like it or not, the Performance fan setting does not seem to allow the Domino to outperform the better-designed air coolers on the market. It would be interesting to see what effects a fan with a higher static pressure envelope would have on cooling but I have been working AkG to the bone and things like that take time.
Yeah I was going to ask if maybe you could try a Yate Loon or Noctua P12 along with some 38mm fan, but I understand that it all takes time to test.

Overall though it looks like a great entry-level watercooling setup, especially for the price but still, I think I'd rather just get a HDT cooler as they are cheaper and perform on-par/better.
Old January 14, 2009, 01:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looking forward to the results Sky.

@ jdrom17

Quote:
I think I'd rather just get a HDT cooler as they are cheaper and perform on-par/better
How unsupercool is that

EE
Old January 14, 2009, 06:08 PM
Rookie

Nice review. Was hoping to see it tested with the i7 chips though.
How does this compare against the Ultra-120 Extreme (or similar such air coolers)?
Old January 14, 2009, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Very interesting. Given the components involved, very surprising to see that performance at that price point.

Does the waterblock come apart? Be interesting to see the guts of it.

I have to say, in my opinion, one option that really deserved to at least be given mention is the Swiftech H2O-120 kit. In it's simplest form, it's a two-piece unit, just like this. There's a little more work involved in setting it up, but it has far more expansion options available to it, should the person want to cool other things in the future. It's more expensive, but depending on where you source it from, not hugely so. And again, far more expansion options for future-minded people.
Old January 15, 2009, 04:35 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The H20-120 is aimed at a different market niche. The Domino is a plug and play setup w/advanced tuning features; whereas the Swiftech is a more "do it yourself" model which can be upgraded incrementally. Thus it is a great second step. YMMV but for a first time rig the Domino is a LOT less daunting...yet while delivering confidence building results.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 15, 2009, 04:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think the CoolIt Domino is a step in the right direction for WC'ing options.
A lot of people love the concept and design of Watercooling, but are nervous and not confident enough to attempt their own custom setup.

Good Review on this unit, as usual it was detailed and well thought out.

What could be changed on the A.L.C.

1) High Static Pressure Fan (PanFlow or Delta)
2) Double Pass Copper Cored Radiator
3) Software Controls (like the Elite has).

I think, if the ALC came in two Versions , the one now, and one with the improvements mentioned above, it would sell to a large audience.

That, and I'd love to see the day when all the components of the ALC Are Modular and allow us to setup the loop however we want (I am a big fan of the Controller boxes and designs overall).

Good Review,

I think this one is going in my friends build, seeing as how he wants WC lol!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 15, 2009, 05:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting piece of kit... too bad it suffers from the same 120mm rad issues of the H2O-120. IMO that's what holds these smaller units back WRT performance over high end air. It does however seem to start showing it's stuff on an OC'd quad.

What I'm most interested in though is the temp sensor incorporated into the water block and the control unit that comes with it. I'm not sure if CoolIT is interested in expanding its product line to include individual components, but if they could bring a quality WB with an incorporated sensor + a controller unit to market I'm sure some folks (like myself) would be very interested in trying it out on a custom loop.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP