Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 10, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default I was thinking of getting this rad need advice

I have a Gigabyte aurora 570 3d case and was thinking of removing the cover on the side panel and trying to fit this rad R240-Extreme (R240-E) onto this is the link PC Water-Cooling Shop now being a noob at Water cooling I am open to any advice. I am Mechanically inclined so that is one Minor advantage I have but the water cooling part I am totally new.
Old January 10, 2009, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

That shop's radiators all look like Magicool rads, including the quad and the 3x3 unit. As best was able to determined some time ago, the Magicools were rebranded Alphacool cores put together. Pretty mediocre in terms of performance or flow, but the sheer surface area could probably do a fair bit of work.

A lot will depend on what sort of work you're willing to put into it - this rad will be one of the simplest ways to stick a rad into the sidepanel of a case. A little tougher, but possibly better option might be to grab a pair of Swiftech dual rads, mount them side by side, and then either connect them in series, or let each rad handle a different piece of equipment. Hard to say how big of a difference it would be, but the Swiftech rads are much better designed, and generally priced pretty well.

That place seems to ship via EMS, which I believe gets transferred to a non-government carrier once it reaches our border. So I could be wrong, but I think that equals surprise customs/brokerage charges - just a heads up.
Old January 10, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
That shop's radiators all look like Magicool rads, including the quad and the 3x3 unit. As best was able to determined some time ago, the Magicools were rebranded Alphacool cores put together. Pretty mediocre in terms of performance or flow, but the sheer surface area could probably do a fair bit of work.

A lot will depend on what sort of work you're willing to put into it - this rad will be one of the simplest ways to stick a rad into the sidepanel of a case. A little tougher, but possibly better option might be to grab a pair of Swiftech dual rads, mount them side by side, and then either connect them in series, or let each rad handle a different piece of equipment. Hard to say how big of a difference it would be, but the Swiftech rads are much better designed, and generally priced pretty well.

That place seems to ship via EMS, which I believe gets transferred to a non-government carrier once it reaches our border. So I could be wrong, but I think that equals surprise customs/brokerage charges - just a heads up.
the two Rads Idea was what I was going to do first but then I seem this . if the performance of this is mediocre then I might as well use two rads instead . the size of the big rad would cover a little more of the side panel openings size but the two rads take about one inch less all around . hmm. I will have to figure this out but it does seem that the two rads side by side would be a better idea. thanx