Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2007, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
It's meant to vary the water flow, by increasing the opening (thus reducing the flow) or decreasing the opening (increasing the flow). If you have a variable speed water pump like the MCP-655, you don't need nozzles.

What I don't like is the fact that any component added to a loop will create more turbulence and possibly decrease the water flow, without even knowing about it. Also, adding a smaller nozzle may just create a back pressure - and you don't want that.

I've played with different setups about one year ago, and only higher temps (by 1-2C, that is) were measured. I wasn't convinced of the added benefits of nozzles.

My 0.02$, CAN of course.

John
I don't think that their purpose is to increase or decrease flow rate per se- the change in flow rate is a side-effect of their actual purpose, which is to create a 'spraying' action so that the water contacts the inner surface of the heatsink with more force- this comes at the cost of flow rate if using a restrictive nozzle, and it seems that some have found that if you're using a strong enough pump, that the trade-off is worth it.

Last edited by Babrbarossa; June 21, 2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old June 21, 2007, 12:48 PM
Misoprostol

Babs is dead on with this one. The nozzles are to create an impingement effect, which accelerates the water that is hitting the pins inside the block. This should yield a 1-2C difference in performance.