Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 4, 2009, 06:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Will these fit?

Coolingworks Black Mini Coolshroud for 120mm Radiators

Even though Swiftech isn't listed, do you think it would be possible to use 2 of them on my MCR220?
Old January 4, 2009, 06:20 PM
MVP

No, it won't, I'm pretty sure Thermochill and HWL's spacing is different than Swiftech's.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old January 4, 2009, 06:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian7 View Post
No, it won't, I'm pretty sure Thermochill and HWL's spacing is different than Swiftech's.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
Yeah I know that much but perhaps I could do some minor modding to make it work?
Old January 4, 2009, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Within each fan, the hole spacing for any 120mm fan is standardized, it's the distance between multiple fans that's the issue. So those shrouds should work for any single 120mm rad.

The problem that I'm seeing is that you're thinking of putting them on a dual radiator. These days, HWL and Swiftech are both using 15mm fan hole spacing, which basically puts the fan frames right flush against each other. But by the same token, anything that covers more area than the actual fan (which those shrouds appear to do) is going to have trouble being placed right next to another of the same, since they'll be trying to overlap each other. To make these shrouds work, you may have either bend the plastic a little to force them to go side-by-side, or trim a few millimetres off of one/both of them.
Old January 4, 2009, 06:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Within each fan, the hole spacing for any 120mm fan is standardized, it's the distance between multiple fans that's the issue. So those shrouds should work for any single 120mm rad.

The problem that I'm seeing is that you're thinking of putting them on a dual radiator. These days, HWL and Swiftech are both using 15mm fan hole spacing, which basically puts the fan frames right flush against each other. But by the same token, anything that covers more area than the actual fan (which those shrouds appear to do) is going to have trouble being placed right next to another of the same, since they'll be trying to overlap each other. To make these shrouds work, you may have either bend the plastic a little to force them to go side-by-side, or trim a few millimetres off of one/both of them.
Hrm sounds feasible. And we're talking like <5mm right?

For $3 a piece no harm in trying IMO. I've wasted more money on other things that haven't worked out as planned.
Old January 4, 2009, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

1-2 millimetres I'm guessing. Hard to say for sure from the pictures. I had the same problem on a dual Swiftech trying to put THESE filters on. It wasn't by much, but they just slightly overlapped. I just held one of the filter edges up to the belt sander for 10 seconds and the problem went away.

In your case though, the fact that they're shrouds means that taking any of the edge off might ruins the airtightness. If you're serious about shrouding, maybe try to evenly take a little off both, so they meet each other evenly? Then a thin line of silicone/glue would seal the gap to maintain airtightness. Yeah, you can only go so wrong for $3/each.
Old January 4, 2009, 07:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I don't have a belt sander but I think I could still figure something out (aka manual sanding) if its only a couple millimeters.
Old January 4, 2009, 11:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

^^ Maybe sanding with a dremel, if you do.. :)

Guess sanding should fix any issues you encounter. As MpG said, it is hard to say from the picture.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old January 5, 2009, 08:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
^^ Maybe sanding with a dremel, if you do.. :)

Guess sanding should fix any issues you encounter. As MpG said, it is hard to say from the picture.
Don't have a dremel either

Good ol' fashioned hand tools