Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   what is a good starter setup for a gigabyte 3Daurora case (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/13360-what-good-starter-setup-gigabyte-3daurora-case.html)

Shadowmeph December 29, 2008 07:57 PM

what is a good starter setup for a gigabyte 3Daurora case

I have been holding off and holding off and now I am thinking that I should finally get into water cooling and I would like a decent beginner setup for a good price any suggestions

JD December 29, 2008 08:18 PM

If it's just a CPU loop:
CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ
Rad: Swiftech MCR220
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 or MCP355/350 (Laing D5 and DDC respectively)
Tubing: 1/2" or 3/8", up to you. Primochill ProLRT works good for me.

Grab all metal fittings from D-TEK, Danger Den, Bitspower, whoever. Just don't use plastic crap.

Not sure if it would fit internally or not, rad might need to hang off the back with a RadBox or something.

biff December 29, 2008 09:22 PM

Realistically any WC setup will work well provided you use proper parts and stay away from the gimicky stuff. Beyond that it depends on what you're trying to acheive, either good silent cooling or best cooling for maximum overclock. Bigger rads are always better so get the biggest you can fit. If you want coolest temps then slap some screaming high rpm fans on the rads and if your after silence then some undervolted low rpm fans on a big rad will give great performance for almost no noise. Unless you're after every last degree C then any rad should work well, the swiftechs are cheap, and at the other end of the spectrum are the primochills. The real world performance difference (comparing similar sizes) between the two are not going to net any significant differences, again it depends on what you want to acheive. Same with pumps, the swiftechs are powerhouses but their units usually require add on parts to make them accept standard barbs and/or acheive better performance. I use a pair of the DD CPX-1's. Not the same performance of other pumps but they are SILENT which is a priority for me... and they are 'good enough' to acheive pretty good performance in single block loops. Yes a bigger pump would get me better temps but I'd bet it's only a degree or few but I don't care... but to some that would matter.

Nevermind the so called 'beginer' setups and just get a proper one. It will work better and you will be able to carry most if not all of it onto your next upgrade.

Shadowmeph December 30, 2008 12:28 PM

well to start out I want something that is middle road , I plan on over clocking but not aggressively just a good clean safe over clock ( totaly noob at Overclocking things) that can be done with my MB,and CPU then later I will get into my vid card I just want to get my feet wet to see how I like it then go from there

enaberif December 30, 2008 03:33 PM

Problem with that case is that once you start getting into serious water cooling you find it'll hamper you due to lack of space and functionality.

Shadowmeph December 30, 2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 132926)
Problem with that case is that once you start getting into serious water cooling you find it'll hamper you due to lack of space and functionality.

really, I thought that this case would be a good case it is Big

miggs78 December 30, 2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 132926)

Well enaberif is right, but enaberif he has the Aurora 570, imo is it quite much better than the first version... I have the case myself, offcourse nothing compared to yours :shok: lol.. but still it has descent space. Functionality, its better than other cases to say the least, it is a nice case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 132705)
If it's just a CPU loop:
CPU Block: Swiftech Apogee GTZ
Rad: Swiftech MCR220
Pump: Swiftech MCP655 or MCP355/350 (Laing D5 and DDC respectively)
Tubing: 1/2" or 3/8", up to you. Primochill ProLRT works good for me.

Grab all metal fittings from D-TEK, Danger Den, Bitspower, whoever. Just don't use plastic crap.

Not sure if it would fit internally or not, rad might need to hang off the back with a RadBox or something.

Perfect suggestions, as for the tubing the cheap ones like Clearflex 1/2" do work quite well.. But Primochill is on its own league man, pretty good tubing.. I personally have D-Tek barbs and can say it is well built, no probs whatsoever. Bitspower, is the best out there, you can't regret them..

As for the setup, yea a radbox would definitely work, or you can cut a hole on the top of the case and mount it that way, or just cut holes for the fan holes on top, and mount it.. It might be a tight fit if you do or in the future decide to get a huge psu, one of those long 1kw ones, then it might be a tight fit, offcourse you could always leave the first couple spaces in the 5 1/4" bays empty for passing the tubing.. That case can be worked around, it just needs some tools, and patience.

enaberif December 30, 2008 05:51 PM

I had the 570 and found it too small and restrictive for cable management and didn't like it. Oddly I found when I bought the 690 it had more room and better cable management... but yes nothing beats my current case well.. that I can afford at this time.

JD December 30, 2008 05:51 PM

I looked up your case, you could easily screw in the MCR220 onto the rear case fans IMO. Could probably even fit it internally as well. Probably best if you screw it onto the back of the fans instead so its outside of the case but flush against it. Might need to cut out the fan grills though since they seem to stick out quite a bit. That way you won't loose any space internally.

I don't see why any watercooling wouldn't fit. CPU, GPU, Chipsets and whatever else. Looks like a pretty big case to me, definitely way bigger than my Antec 900.

Shadowmeph December 30, 2008 08:01 PM

what do you think of the Swiftech MCR220-QP-RES Quiet Power Dual 120MM Water Cooling Radiator & Integrated Reservoir 3/8 in what is a decent CPU water block and pump and possibly chipset