Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 28, 2008, 04:10 PM
Allstar

Default passively cooled radiator

I'm planning an ultra-quiet PC build, as close to 0 decibels as possible. Therefore, I decided to put in a water cooling loop. Included in this loop is the MCW-NBMAX, Apogee GTZ(on core i7 920), and Koolance HD4870x2 Full Cover Block. I was planning on using this with a single-120mm radiator, but that honestly seems underpowered. Therefore, I'm wondering if adding an external passively cooled radiator in ADDITION to the internal 120mm radiator would be enough to bring anything down to manageable levels. i'm not looking for maximum performanace; i'm looking for quietness and enough cooling to overclock the 920 to ~3.5ghz and to bring the hd4870x2 to more reasonable levels(i've heard it goes to 90 degrees celcius which scares the crap out of me).

will that work?
Old December 28, 2008, 04:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd think you'd want a minimum of a 320 rad, especially if you're trying to go fanless.

I'm not sure which brand of rad's would be best for this application. They're all meant to have airflow through them, as far as I know.
Old December 28, 2008, 06:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

To have all that running passively, you are going to need a massive rad, like a car rad. An active MCR320 would be pushing it already. I'd suggestion splitting it into two loops, and just use two rads, each with very low speed fans. A passive setup for all that is going to require a crap load of space for the radiator.
Old December 28, 2008, 06:51 PM
Allstar

Zalman Reserator 2

I was looking at that thing, would it be good enough(the size doesn't bother me at all)? keep in mind, i DON'T need top performance, just enough to give me some room to overclock and stop the graphics card from frying itself - i'd also be willing to install a single 120mm radiator although i'm not sure if its big enough to make much of a difference. also, how hot to the touch do these radiators get?
Old December 28, 2008, 09:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
Zalman Reserator 2

I was looking at that thing, would it be good enough(the size doesn't bother me at all)? keep in mind, i DON'T need top performance, just enough to give me some room to overclock and stop the graphics card from frying itself - i'd also be willing to install a single 120mm radiator although i'm not sure if its big enough to make much of a difference. also, how hot to the touch do these radiators get?
Has nothing to do with how hot. A computer radiator will never become hot to the touch perhaps warm but that is it.

No rad made for consumer use will be able to pull this off so as stated already you will need a very large radiator like one out of a car.

Talk to Squeetard he's done this.
Old December 28, 2008, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

For true passive, you need surface area, and lots of it. Without a fan, a single rad isn't even going to begin to do the job. Are you absolutely certain you want to go fanless? Even some ultra-slow <500rpm fans (inaudible unless you're a mutant) will make a serious world of difference. That aside, you haven't mentioned a pump? Are you relying on convection to move the liquid around? Also very difficult to work around, especially with a hot overclocked CPU and dual-core GPU. Again, even the smallest, quietest, runt of all pumps would be a significant difference over natural convection.
Old December 28, 2008, 11:01 PM
Allstar

ya, i was planning on putting in an mcp350 with an EK top on it and moving to a mcp655 if necessary. i plan on having acoustic foam(or w/e you call that stuff) on the case, so i'm not nearly as worried about noise from it as from fans on/outside the case.

another question, does the mcw-nbmax on the rampage ii extreme create enough clearance for 'extra-long' cards(in particular, a xonar d2x)? otherwise, i'm just going to ditch it.

EDIT:

wait a minute, so you guys are saying that a Swiftech MCR120 with a Noctua NF-P12-1300 coudn't cool either a i7-920 OR a hd4870x2?

Last edited by Generic User #2; December 28, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old December 29, 2008, 02:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
wait a minute, so you guys are saying that a Swiftech MCR120 with a Noctua NF-P12-1300 coudn't cool either a i7-920 OR a hd4870x2?
That is pretty much what we are saying. I would expect that a MCR120 would have a hard time running an i7 920 at stock, and wouldn't be able to keep good enough temps at load. A 4870X2 probably wouldn't run much cooler than the stock heatsink, quieter for sure, but similar temps. You would need ATLEAST the MCR320 to run at stock settings, and even then the temps wont be amazing.

I'd also suggest getting a different fan over the Noctua's, specifically, the Scythe S-Flex E. Vapor (the XS admin) did a comparison of a few different medium speed fans, and the S-Flex E moved a little bit more air than the retail P12, but about 5dB quieter. Also, if you can manage to find some San Ace H1011's, you can run them at 5V and get about the same airflow for another 1-2dB quieter than the S-Flex E, and 6-7dB quieter than the Noctua. (Fan Mini-Review: Fan Roundup 3 Begins - XtremeSystems Forums)
Old December 29, 2008, 02:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
ya, i was planning on putting in an mcp350 with an EK top on it and moving to a mcp655 if necessary. i plan on having acoustic foam(or w/e you call that stuff) on the case, so i'm not nearly as worried about noise from it as from fans on/outside the case.

another question, does the mcw-nbmax on the rampage ii extreme create enough clearance for 'extra-long' cards(in particular, a xonar d2x)? otherwise, i'm just going to ditch it.

EDIT:

An i7 cpu at stock speeds can consume upwards of 130w of energy and when you overclock that upwards of 160+ very easily which would saturate the 120 itself let alone adding a gpu.
Old December 29, 2008, 02:10 AM
Allstar

alright, i guess i'm not giving the stock intel cooler enough credit lol

are there mounts for the 3x120 rads that DON'T involve it hanging off the back of the case(and you mentioned needing 2 of them - i don't know how that is going to work)?