Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2008, 08:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

If you are going to use Dry Ice, then combine that with Isopropyl Alcohol for the best results.
I can't find my stats for the Thermal Properties of that particular substance, but its freezing Point is -89 degrees. That leaves you with a difference of -11 degrees in your favour with Dry Ice.
Isopropyl is not know to react with common Materials (no specifics in my manual on the substance). However I would take a section of the Tubing you intend to use, and a sample of material and test it with that to ensure no reactivity before attempting the loop.

Good Luck!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 23, 2008, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Isopropyl is not know to react with common Materials (no specifics in my manual on the substance). However I would take a section of the Tubing you intend to use, and a sample of material and test it with that to ensure no reactivity before attempting the loop.
Acrylic and any seals are definite danger zones with Iso. So yes, definitely test first.
Old December 24, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Yea Isopropanol will react with lots of things.Specific material compatibility basically needs to be done for each and every component....Also , with the low temps involved , you've got to do physical compatibility checks as well.

Isopropyl alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

eFunda: O-Ring Materials Compatibile with Chemical Isopropanol

-----

The 'thermal property' that's of intest here is the viscosity curve of Isopropanol , but it's something you need to calculate rather than being able to just 'look up'.... I'll save yah the trouble tho ...
The viscosity of isopropanol varies from about 2 cP at 25 c , to ~300 cP @ -78 c.

The volumetric change that would occur at the blocks would be an issue too....the output barbs would need to be larger than the input one/s.....

----------

If you are really serious , the first thing you need is a pump that can tolerate Iso and cold....I've already done this research too...

You want a fully stainless steel pump (shaft/impeller/housing), with silicone seals.You can expect to pay a few hundred dollars for this probably.

-------

Old December 27, 2008, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

if wanting constant chill best use a phase change set-up for direct die chilling

Caution:Methanol It forms explosive mixtures with air and burns with a nonluminous flame. It is a violent poison; drinking mixtures containing methanol has caused many cases of blindness or death. Methanol has a settled odor. Methanol is a potent nerve poison.

METHYL ALCOHOL freeze point -97.7 0C must use alcohol appoved tubing
also highly FLAMMABLE