Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 15, 2008, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default My watercooling overkill story

Hi,

Some of you may know my hardware, but anyway :

I use a MM case, the ufo-horizon to be precise. Picture in the bottom.

I am watercooling the
-CPU (I7 920)
-GPU (GTX280)

all of this heat goes to the front mounted PA 120.3 with 6 push-pull 120 MM fans. The temperature are ok. Never go over 70 C for the fully loaded CPU while the GPU is a 36 C. So I am happy.

But then, Vortex decided to change this :

Few WC goodies

He is selling a PA 120.3 with 6 X 38MM ultra Kaze (this rad with fan + shroud is 8 inches wide !!!!!) and the shroud at a good price. Really long story short I bought it for a second build, who knows !

THE crazyness watercooling bug got me again.

Why not do a single loop with 2 pumps since it can all fit in my MM case ? LOL, that could be fun and huge overkill. Not 2 loops, since it is less fun (), just one big dual RAD loop ..... So take a couple of second to think about it, what should be the loop ?

I had this idea :

CPU (GTZ) - DTEK GFX sur GTX 280 - PA120.3 (4 Yate loon 120 MM + 2 Shcyte) - MCP 355 (Petra top) - Swiftech RES V2 - PA120.3 (6 Ultra KAZE) with shroud - MCP 350 (petra's top) - back to the CPU

But then our newest moderator, charlie, showed me this cool link :

Ek Water Blocks EK-DDC Dual Turbo Top Custom Pump Top for 2X DDC or MCP350 or MCP355 Pumps G1/4 - DirectCanada

LOL, I will be already ordering some 1/2 inch tubing, so why not ?

Now anybody knows if 2 pumps in a single loop or 2 pumps with the EK block is better ?

Also, for thoses who had experience with the MM UFO-horizon :

You think I could screw the PA 120.3 with the 38 MM fans and the shroud on the 2 back case fan hole ? (the 3rd one is for a second PSU)

This should be fun. I think I'll get some pics for you of the current setup...
Attached Images

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....

Last edited by matsta31; December 15, 2008 at 11:41 AM.
Old December 15, 2008, 11:37 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Use this link instead: Ek Water Blocks EK-DDC Dual Turbo Top Custom Pump Top for 2X DDC or MCP350 or MCP355 Pumps G1/4 - DirectCanada.

Have fun...
Old December 15, 2008, 12:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

In regards to the back two holes, not entirely. Someone at MM was on acid when they designed the back panel, I suspect, because the fan hole spacing is 17mm (unless they've changed it very recently), and the only radiators that have that spacing were some of the early Feser double and triples. Everything else is either 15mm, or in the case of Thermochill, 25mm. That said, you can make a rad with 15mm hole spacing fit if you either drill some new holes (looks messy, tho), or angle the screws and brute-force them into the rad shroud.

In theory, the EK pump top basically runs the two DDC pumps in series, except in a more compact form-factor, so there should be nearly no difference. In practice, I think you loose a little bit, since the connecting pathway from the first to the second pump isn't entirely optimal. Either will be a powerhouse, though.
Old December 15, 2008, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hum let me make sure I understand what you said, using my proposed loop should be no problem ?

This would be easier.

On a second note, I think my MM has 2 sets of hole on the back. Cause I was able to install a borrowed MCR320 in thoses back case holes. But I do agree with the on acid part, the back of the case is everything execpt good engeneering.

Sold hardware again.....
Old December 15, 2008, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
CPU (GTZ) - DTEK GFX sur GTX 280 - PA120.3 (4 Yate loon 120 MM + 2 Shcyte) - MCP 355 (Petra top) - Swiftech RES V2 - PA120.3 (6 Ultra KAZE) with shroud - MCP 350 (petra's top) - back to the CPU
Sorry, I somehow missed that proposed loop. Two problems I can see with this: firstly, you're putting an MCP355 in series with an MCP350. While they're technically the same pump, they operate a much different speeds, and there are a few theories about combining significantly different pumps like that, regarding their long-term reliability. I'd suggest using two of the same pump. If you've already got one of each, changing one into the other is just a blob of solder away. Secondly, putting the reservoir right before one of the pumps makes bleeding and filling the loop much easier. It's not essential, but definitely makes things easier.

I had a little grief getting an MCR-220 onto the back of my own case. I had to start all eight screws at an angle, then gradually tighten them all in turn to get a flush fit. If it works better on yours, so much the better. Maybe MM fixed that issue more recently? Not sure about your 'second set' of holes, though. My back panel's got two PSU slots, a pair of 120mm fan holes at the bottom, and a single 120mm fan hole in the motherboard tray.
Old December 15, 2008, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I meant at the bottom 2 120 MM fans hole there is 2 sets of screw hole drilled in the aliminium. Anyway I'll see if it fits.

Now, 2 pump speed.... Soldering ? I'll have to look around for that. But never ever done soldering.... Website suggestion ?

For the RES, I am a T-Line type of guy !
I always used T- Line and since the Res would be below the motherboard tray, I would keep the T-Line for filling and it would be in the loop just before the pump intake. The only reason I wanted to put the RES in is :

- Because I got it !!!
- more seriously, I tought I would help for the bleeding. One rez to bleed on a t-line is a pain,
I was afraid of 2....

Sold hardware again.....
Old December 15, 2008, 02:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

This is the solder mod that you're looking at. Basically, the only difference is whether or not there's a blob of solder between those two contact points.
Name:  DDC32v31SolderBridge.jpg
Views: 3692
Size:  66.7 KB
Old December 15, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Lol I cant do that.

SO I guess I have a problem then... Ah that was going to be fun !

Edit : I was looking around on the DC website look at the picture they have for the Mcp355 :

Swiftech MCP355 High Performance 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump 3/8IN Barbs - DirectCanada

here is my 350 :
Attached Images

Sold hardware again.....

Last edited by matsta31; December 15, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old December 17, 2008, 07:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

little update,

yeah ok the pump are not working exactly at the same speed, but one is a MCP350 modded (RPM 3300 ish before mod) and one is a MCP355,

THANKS MPG !

soldering is easy, anyway way easier than I thought. I bought a 10.99 $ soldering Iron from Radio Scrap !

Now, waiting for poste Canada to deliver !

WOOT !

current plan is :

CPU (GTZ) - DTEK GFX sur GTX 280 - PA120.3 (4 Yate loon 120 MM + 2 Shcyte) - MCP 355 (Petra top) - Swiftech RES V2 - PA120.3 (6 Ultra KAZE) with shroud - MCP 350 modded (petra's top) - back to the CPU

I am not even sure I will screw the PA120.3 to the back holes, if I cant, I was thinking of putting some velcro just to make sure is does not fall.

any idea of solid enough velcro ?
Attached Images

Sold hardware again.....