Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2008, 07:30 PM
Rookie

Default Noob here, trying to get my first WC setup together.

NOOB ALERT!

I'm going for a minimal setup, considering my case is not meant for WC and is relatively small. It shall not be revealed until I do get it all set up and running, that is, if I get that far. I'm also not willing to spend a fortune. I've looked at the swiftech kit solutions since I'm simply planning to run one loop for the CPU but I want to perhaps upgrade later on (gpu and such).

So far, i've gotten these off the forums:

BIX rad 3x120
DD CPX-1 (pretty small from the looks of it)

Here's what i'm planning on purchasing:

Bitspower Dual 3/4 Inch PCI Pass Through Bracket (whistles...yeah I'm not ready to drill some holes yet)
Petra PT Nuke (this + distilled is all I need right?)
Primochill 3/4IN ANTI-KINK Tube Coils
A couple of fans for the rad. Probably Yate Loons. (3 for now, might go push/pull later)
Primochill Reusable Hose Clamps for 3/4 Inch Outer (should I just go worm drive clamps?)
Primochill Primoflex Pro LRT UV Blue 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing
Swiftech MCRES-MICRO REV2 Clear HI-FLOW Water Cooling Reservoir 3/8IN & 1/2IN Barb Fittings (yay for form factor! DD bay res might be more convenient though...)
Swiftech MCB-120 Radbox Revision 2 Black
D-TEK Customs Fuzion V2 CPU block (word)

I'm still a tad confused with mainly the sizes and fittings (terminology and numbers). Will these work together? Will my tubes fit through the pass through bracket? Am I missing any barb fittings?

Go easy on the WC noob, alright? hehe.

>>Feedback: ebay + heat + RFD <<

Last edited by jaszypoo; December 8, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old December 8, 2008, 07:44 PM
Allstar

Everything looks perfect & will all work well with each other! Look at the minimum 2000rpm fans for that rad also. Yates will do nicely at max or scythe 2000rpm Ultra-Kaze fans. Please don't use worm drive clamps though! they look horrible & ruin a nice setup imo. those reusable plastic ones will work fine!
Old December 8, 2008, 07:52 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Everything looks perfect & will all work well with each other! Look at the minimum 2000rpm fans for that rad also. Yates will do nicely at max or scythe 2000rpm Ultra-Kaze fans. Please don't use worm drive clamps though! they look horrible & ruin a nice setup imo. those reusable plastic ones will work fine!
The minimum is 2000rpm? Where do you see that? Uh oh. Obviously high speed is prefered to get the better temps (right?) but can't I just run something less...tornado-sounding?

Old December 8, 2008, 08:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

I'd be a little concerned about using a restrictive block such as the fuzion (albeit not as restrictive as an apogee gtz) with a cpx-1 pump.... however using it in conjunction with 1/2 tubing is a good call. But don't worry, it will work. Had a similar setup and that pump is dead silent.

You could also take a look at XSPC's Delta v3 block: 35$ and a solid performer, but the mounting mechanism is very basic, a far cry from the Dtek's pro-mount. The upside though is that it's very free-flowing.

Down the road, if you plan on making a more intricate loop and/or add blocks, you'll have to upgrade the pump though.

As for the PCI pass-through, you'll have to cut off some of the case's slot separators to pass the tubing. Nothing too drastic.

Post some pics when you're done

Old December 8, 2008, 08:03 PM
Top Prospect

Ok, good start!
Pump might end up being a little weak if you plan on cooling more than just the cpu.
Try to keep restriction to a minimal.
As for the rest:

i) Pass through bracket. Yes. Save you breaking out a drill.

ii) Get three low speed 38 mm fans, 1000 Rpm is good, run them at 8-9 vdc

iii) Tubing and clamps: Get this stuff NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech 7/16IN ID Vinyl Tubing 10 Feet - 5/8OD10FT In Canada.
On 1/2 barbs, it rules! Use zip ties for clamps!

iv) Lose the reservoir, two more places your loop could possibly leak. It cracks? One BIG leak. Use a tee line. My T-line runs through the grommet on my desk, up, behind and just to the right of the monitor, clamped to the wall with a plug at the end.
All that line probably holds as much as that reservoir.
That way, I can monitor coolant level and bleed air out of the loop, Refill.

v) The radbox? I made my own radbox out of a piece of flashing. (sheetmetal)

vi) Ahh yes, the V2 . I'm running this block right now and loving it.

All this is just my opinion, results may vary!

Edit: Another reason I don't like reservoirs is because they're air traps.
You wannna Geat! ALL THE AIR, outta the loop, PeRiod.

I've consistently found that almost all "Drip Leaks", are the result of air in the loop, under hydraulic pressure. ...and it takes a little water with it!

Once you bleed all the air out of your loop, it'll never leak. Although ALL the air might take 3-4 months to totally bleed out.

People tell you to run a system for 24 or more hours to make sure there are no leaks.
What they should be saying is run the loop for 24 hours, and bleed as much air outta the loop as you can My $0.04! (Inflation)

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2

Last edited by kirk_d; December 8, 2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Air Pockets
Old December 8, 2008, 08:23 PM
Rookie

Thanks for all the comments folks :)

Oh and wouldn't 7/16" be too tight? I wouldn't want to have to fight to get it in, or out.

Old December 8, 2008, 08:24 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaszypoo View Post
The minimum is 2000rpm? Where do you see that? Uh oh. Obviously high speed is prefered to get the better temps (right?) but can't I just run something less...tornado-sounding?
The fin design on those rads is tight & it needs a higher rpm fan than say a mcr or tc would need right. I have YL-D12SH-124UB 2400rpm 88cfm 40db fans for my rig & plan to run them no less than 1500 rpm while general purpose using then with gaming it'll be jacked to the max. These rads need at least 1350-1500 rpm to be at the beginning of what they are capable of pretty much imo. If you want 1000rpm fans then why not go with a thinner rad like the mcr320?
Old December 8, 2008, 08:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Barbs: If that rad doesn't have built-in 1/2" barbs (some do), you'll need a pair of barbs for it. Also, the Swiftech reservoir comes with plastic barbs, which are a little weak. They'll work, but a pair of metal barbs wouldn't hurt. For both, you'll want 1/2" barbs, with G1/4 threading. Pretty much any place selling WC components will sell them as well.

Personally, I'm big fan of hose clamps myself, but they're definitely not going to win any beauty contests, and there are plenty of other good options out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaszypoo View Post
What Sniper means is that the BIX rads are optimized for higher speed fans. The rad will work with slower fans just fine, especially since you've got a triple-rad for just the CPU. But there are rads out there that would be more effective at slower fans speeds. Honestly, you've already got the rad, so I wouldn't worry too much about this. Again, you've got enough cooling for just your CPU. Once you start adding other sources of heat, you can stand back and decide for yourself how satisfied you are with your loop's performance.

On a similar note, the pump should do the trick for you, but you may find that it falls a little short once you add other components to your loop in the future. But honestly, I wouldn't sweat it right now. As is, things should work quite nicely for you, and your list is looking quite good.
Old December 8, 2008, 08:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
The fin design on those rads is tight & it needs a higher rpm fan than say a mcr or tc would need right. I have YL-D12SH-124UB 2400rpm 88cfm 40db fans for my rig & plan to run them no less than 1500 rpm while general purpose using then with gaming it'll be jacked to the max. These rads need at least 1350-1500 rpm to be at the beginning of what they are capable of pretty much imo. If you want 1000rpm fans then why not go with a thinner rad like the mcr320?

38 mm fans, lower speed, higher static pressure, less noise, works good for me.

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2
Old December 8, 2008, 08:59 PM
Rookie

Yeah, I have a pair of 1/2" barbs in my cart right now just in case. Might as well make it two. Won't hurt.

Yep, the pump is just for the CPU for now. I will definitely upgrade the pump later on the road when I move up the WC ladder :)