Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2008, 07:21 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
2 drops of medical grade alcohol free iodine for a whole loop that consisted of 1 Storm G4 block, 1 GPU MCW60 block, a Res, Dual DCC/MCP355 pumps (old school ones orange impeller ones that committed suicide like almost all did ) and a Black Ice 220mm Rad on a S939 4400 X2 and X1900XTX. The loop ran for aprox 8 months untouched, till my pumps died and I had to replace them.

Suffice it to say I was NOT happy when I took apart that loop and saw what had happened. I actually went back to Air Cooling for a little while. I'm sure you can understand why, after the sting of losing $400 worth of WC parts due to the block corrosion and pump failure(kinda a double whammy really). After a bit of googling and learning about XS and reading up, I was kicking my self in the ass for even considering iodine.

That being said I'm sure with enough cleaning I can bring the MCW60 back into service and *MAYBE* the rad, but I gave up hope long ago on those items. For now they sit unused in a shelf somewhere. I wanna stress that this happened over the course of 8 months, with the water/coolant being refreshed about every 3 months. I'm not sure that even in a concentrated "test" you'll see a result without some considerable time.
oxidation doesn't affect performance, just aesthetics. With this in mind, you can try cleaning the MCW60 with a mixture of white vinegar and salt (this mixture become a weak hydrochloric acid which can clean it in less than a minute) then flush it with water and baking soda to stop the reaction. As for the radiator, you can try with Prestone Super Flush that you can buy from Canadian Tire (in the car parts section).

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 28, 2008, 07:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
oxidation doesn't affect performance, just aesthetics. With this in mind, you can try cleaning the MCW60 with a mixture of white vinegar and salt (this mixture become a weak hydrochloric acid which can clean it in less than a minute) then flush it with water and baking soda to stop the reaction. As for the radiator, you can try with Prestone Super Flush that you can buy from Canadian Tire (in the car parts section).
Heres the thing, I already tried that, which was one of the reasons I gave up on it, I probably didn't put enough effort into it. At this point(2 years later) its a write off, and has been in my mind for 2 years now. I'm not gonna bother to put any time into it now.
That said, its not just oxidation, it has a thin layer of "gunk" on the block, its not just simply discolouration. I'll keep it in mind thou if I ever decide to try and get them into usable format again.

Regardless I would still never use iodine since you can easily avoid these issues by simply using PT Nuke or an object of 99.99% silver.
Old November 28, 2008, 07:40 AM
Allstar

CLR it!!! lol bad idea I know sorry. Thought it was funny lol.
Old November 29, 2008, 02:54 AM
Rookie

Hey Chilly did you use any type of corrosion inhibitor whilst you were using iodine in your cooling loop?
Old November 29, 2008, 03:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Damn, thought i was past the w/c noob stage. I did a bunch of research on additives back when i built my loop a month ago. But, looks like ill be drainin my distilled water/iodine mix. Though doesnt pt nuke make the water conductive?
Old November 29, 2008, 06:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyl168 View Post
Hey Chilly did you use any type of corrosion inhibitor whilst you were using iodine in your cooling loop?
Nope. It was an all copper loop, there was, and still would be true today, no reason to add inhibitors. Adding an inhibitor in a same metal(ie, all copper) loop is, pointless. You would be losing a good portion of pure distilled water cooling capacity of for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odis172 View Post
Damn, thought i was past the w/c noob stage. I did a bunch of research on additives back when i built my loop a month ago. But, looks like ill be drainin my distilled water/iodine mix. Though doesnt pt nuke make the water conductive?
Unless its an airtight loop, ANY liquid will become conductive in a relatively short time frame. That said the amount of PT nuke you'd be adding to your loop would not to raise the conductivity in any significant amount. Another solution would be to use pure distilled water and drop a 99.99% pure silver coin(or other object) in the res.

Both will keep your loop clean, and both are simple easy solutions.

Last edited by Chilly; November 29, 2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old November 29, 2008, 07:03 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Unless its an airtight loop, ANY liquid will become conductive in a relatively short time frame. That said the amount of PT nuke you'd be adding to your loop would not to raise the conductivity in any significant amount. Another solution would be to use pure distilled water and drop a 99.99% pure silver coin(or other object) in the res.
Even in a airtight loop, it will still become conductive due to copper and silver ions floating

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 29, 2008, 02:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
Even in a airtight loop, it will still become conductive due to copper and silver ions floating
Didn't I just say that? Point is almost no matter what you do any almost any liquid will become conductive in a short while. This is one of the(many) reasons why many of us think "cooling fluids" are a bunch of hooey.
Old November 29, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have never used anything but tap water and some automotive anti-freeze (about 10-15%) and have yet to have any issues with anything.