Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2008, 07:32 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I've been running a Pure Silver Storm G5 on nothing but pure distilled water for as long as I remember, no issues. I don't know the reasons why, but people on XS, etc with huge engineering degrees have explained time and time again that silver WILL corrode copper, but because of numerous factors it would take centuries running untouched before you could even BEGIN to notice anything.

Its got something to do with about silver being an inactive/inert metal, I believe which makes there distance on the galvanic scale irreleavent. I believe gold is the same way actually. What little I remember is that only way you'll get corrostion/damage in distilled water is if the silver and copper are directly touching each other. Otherwise nothing will happen with even a 1mm of distance.
It's easy, all metals have a electrolyte potential and copper vs silver have a potentiall difference very small since both is close in the list. OTOH, Aluminium and Copper is farther so the potential difference is bigger. We all know that the bigger the potential difference, the quicker corrosion will happen.

Also, keep in mind that the electrolyte potential rely on the conduction factor and in all cases, I never see copper and silver bolted together so the only conductor is the fluid itself. Distilled water is not conductive at all when poured fresh then become slighty conductive over time (water leeching copper and silver ions, which raise conductivity). This is also why non-conductive fluids claims is all bogus because it will become conductive enough over time to cause damage ;)

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 27, 2008, 07:52 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

With the amount of Silver in your loop (almost nothing), with the Liquid medium used (distilled water) and the physical distance from the Silver to the Copper, you should never see corrosion.
Old November 27, 2008, 11:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Caught it being sold used on another forum back in dec 2006, I jumped on it like white on rice. I almost bought a 2nd one but the guy who was selling it refused to sell it to me, he thought that since I was Canadian that our money was no good . If I ever come across another one,I will buy it in an instant, they are an excellent little piece of water cooling history.
Oh they sure are!!

Ive been looking for one as well

Old November 28, 2008, 10:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I've been running a Pure Silver Storm G5 on nothing but pure distilled water for as long as I remember, no issues. I don't know the reasons why, but people on XS, etc with huge engineering degrees have explained time and time again that silver WILL corrode copper, but because of numerous factors it would take centuries running untouched before you could even BEGIN to notice anything.

Its got something to do with about silver being an inactive/inert metal, I believe which makes there distance on the galvanic scale irreleavent. I believe gold is the same way actually. What little I remember is that only way you'll get corrostion/damage in distilled water is if the silver and copper are directly touching each other. Otherwise nothing will happen with even a 1mm of distance.
Yeah Chilly I've browsed those threads on XS too, while I only understood half of what they are saying sometimes:help:

Apollo:
Looks good
How much did you have left over

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton

Tags
biocide , silver , water cooling