Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2008, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Good price and portable?

Hey everyone - I'm looking to possibly go water cooling as my case temps are pretty hot and I'd like to lower my chipset temps and cpu temps.

Specs
CPU - E8500 @3.85ghz (heat is preventing me from going any further)
Mobo - EVGA 780i
Ram - Corsair Dominator 2x2gb
VC - 2x xfx 8800 ultras with arctic cooling coolers

Basically during gameplay my video cards get up to about 65-70 (better than the stock cooling I had which was around 100), my cpu cores get up to around 64-65 and the MCP to 70-72C. I've done all the air mods on this mobo and all the stuff - it works believe me, but with 2 8800 ultras my case is just too hot, even with around 130CFM coming in and out of it. Basically my temps are pretty good on the cards, the memory is fine, the NB sits at 50C and the SB gets hot. So there are no air alternatives for the 780i for the NB so I will water cool it, the cpu and perhaps the SB. (There's a 10 dollar evercool fan that's supposed to work wonders on the SB so I'll invest in that before a 50 dollar waterblock).

Now here's my dilema, I know the basics of watercooling and such and I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars to get these temps down. What I do want is something portable - basically if I bring my computer over to a buddy's house I don't want to have to carry any external watercooling stuff or anything that isn't attached to the case.

So are there any good solutions to this? I've looked at the watercoolers that fit inside your case but they don't really seem to offer many improvements over air cooling. Obviously there are those expensive cases with built in watercooling but those are past my price limit.

Any suggestions, ideas or do it yourself mods I could do?
Old November 18, 2008, 03:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Going to have to post what case you have first...
Old November 18, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry forgot the case.

WWW.XIONUSA.COM
Old November 18, 2008, 07:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like a prettys small case internally. Only suggestion would be to use a swiftech radbox to mount the rad externally to the rear. If you want to get creative you can mount a rad to the top using some form of stand-offs.

Sounds like you would probably do better with a couple of loops rather than just one though... if it were me, I'd keep my eyes open for a full tower case somewhere.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 18, 2008, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Exos-LT, Black [06mm, 1/4" ID] - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive

What about something like this. It's about the same width, if I just attached it on top of the computer. Basically I want something portable, it doesn't have to be attached I guess. As long as I could carry it all in one piece I'm sure I'd be content with it. I'm sure I could find a way to attach something like the koolance ones.
Old November 18, 2008, 08:04 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I have one just like that, but the Exos-Al version with the CPU, GPU and NB blocks. It has an ok performance for its size. Also, if you wish to transport it, Koolance sells straps that attach to the unit, and loop around the case: Exos Attachment Straps - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive.

I don't use my unit anymore.

edit: it's the Exos-Al, not Exos2. It's been a while... Exos-Al, Aluminum [06mm, 1/4"] - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive

Last edited by 3.0charlie; November 18, 2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old November 18, 2008, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I have one just like that, but the Exos-Al version with the CPU, GPU and NB blocks. It has an ok performance for its size. Also, if you wish to transport it, Koolance sells straps that attach to the unit, and loop around the case: Exos Attachment Straps - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive.

edit: it's the Exos-Al, not Exos2. It's been a while... Exos-Al, Aluminum [06mm, 1/4"] - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive
Ok thanks for the link, those look like they'd do the job just fine. I suppose I'll start looking at reviews on some of these kits and figure out what is best for me.
Old November 18, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post

Ok thanks for the link, those look like they'd do the job just fine. I suppose I'll start looking at reviews on some of these kits and figure out what is best for me.
Egh, Aluminum radiator. I'd avoid it if possible. Other than the NB what are you looking at cooling? Just a simple CPU+NB loop or are you looking to cool the GPU's as well? Without any more info lets start you off with the basics;

Swiftech RadBox - to attach the radiator securely to your case with minimal/no modding required
MCR220 or MCR320 - Both good radiators, depending on your needs/avialabe space get a 120.2(220) or 120.3(320) radiator
MCP655/D5 Pump -The AK47 of water pumps, can't go wrong with it.
MicroRes R2 - A great old(recently updated) reservoir for the water to hang out in before going back to work.

When it comes to blocks and etc, I'm gonna need more info before I go recommending anything. So far all I can tell from your post is you wanna cool your NB, possibly the SB as well (I seriously doubt you will need to). Let us know

Last edited by Chilly; November 19, 2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old November 19, 2008, 05:05 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
Exos-LT, Black [06mm, 1/4" ID] - Water cooling systems, pc liquid cooling kit, cpu, video card, hard drive

What about something like this. It's about the same width, if I just attached it on top of the computer. Basically I want something portable, it doesn't have to be attached I guess. As long as I could carry it all in one piece I'm sure I'd be content with it. I'm sure I could find a way to attach something like the koolance ones.
Couple guys in my clan have those units & swear by them lol. They don't know much about water cooling though so the easiest way for them to set it up the better lol.

Myself I'd pick up an MCR220 maybe a MCP350 & depending what your running I'd splurge for an EK Supreme top it all off with a Swiftech micro res. Be a nice little setup in a case like that. If you wanted to go internal & can't fit the double rad in there get a Feser120 or a Black Ice Xtreme I with a medium rpm fan. That should fit just about anywhere in your case.
Old November 19, 2008, 10:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Egh, Aluminum radiator. I'd avoid it if possible. Other than the NB what are you looking at cooling? Just a simple CPU+NB loop or are you looking to cool the GPU's as well? Without any more info lets start you off with the basics;

Swiftech RadBox - to attach the radiator securely to your case with minimal/no modding required
MCR220 or MCR320 - Both good radiators, depending on your needs/avialabe space get a 120.2(220) or 120.3(320) radiator
MCP655/D5 Pump -The AK47 of water pumps, can't go wrong with it.
MicroRes R2 - A great old(recently updated) reservoir for the water to hang out in before going back to work.

When it comes to blocks and etc, I'm gonna need more info before I go recommending anything. So far all I can tell from your post is you wanna cool your NB, possibly the SB as well (I seriously doubt you will need to). Let us know
Yeah just a simple CPU/NB (maybe SB eventually) would be sufficient. I'm happy with my GPU temps and without the SB/NB/CPU dumping as much heat into the case their temps would drop as well. The SB should be fine with an aftermarket copper fan cooled heatsink that is around 10 bucks.

I would probably go with the bigger rad just incase, but it mounts on the back of the computer vertically? Does the pump and resovoir sit inside the computer?

Last edited by JMCD; November 19, 2008 at 10:31 AM.