Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 19, 2008, 11:11 AM
Allstar
F@H

Funny how you have decent gear except for the case. My friend liked the look of it and bought one, and then I had the joy of building his system in it. I guess I've been spoiled by Lian-Li / Antec / Mountain Mods but man I HATE that case, not to mention the PSU that came with it weighs less then a single platter hard drive. I haven't dove into water cooling yet, but from what I see on here and elsewhere, you're going to need a sturdier / roomier case when you make the plunge. GL in your adventures and I don't mean to be rude.

Old November 19, 2008, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterd View Post
Funny how you have decent gear except for the case. My friend liked the look of it and bought one, and then I had the joy of building his system in it. I guess I've been spoiled by Lian-Li / Antec / Mountain Mods but man I HATE that case, not to mention the PSU that came with it weighs less then a single platter hard drive. I haven't dove into water cooling yet, but from what I see on here and elsewhere, you're going to need a sturdier / roomier case when you make the plunge. GL in your adventures and I don't mean to be rude.
Na it's ok man, it was my first build. My only concern is I have aftermarket coolers that take up an extra slot. It barely fit in the bottom of this case - I had to modify the case to get better airflow down there. I'm not sure whether they would even fit in another case, or if their is a case that does have more room there would be ideal. Here's a pic so you can see what I mean. If there would be a case that would have ample room on the bottom for my second card and be able to have built in water cooling, that would be ideal. I'd fork out more money for something like that.
Attached Images

Old November 19, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So if I went with the swiftech It mounts into the 120mm fan holes on the back. So I'd have the radiator with fans on it out the back, the resevoir and pump inside my case? Or would I probably need a new case to do this...
Old November 19, 2008, 10:04 PM
Allstar

You could do it that way easily just get a rad box to keep the rad out from the case abit is all.
Old November 19, 2008, 11:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCD View Post
So if I went with the swiftech It mounts into the 120mm fan holes on the back. So I'd have the radiator with fans on it out the back, the resevoir and pump inside my case? Or would I probably need a new case to do this...
No, it would work exactly the way you think, the radbox would screw into the 120mm fan holes, and then the radiator+fans to the radbox. route the tubez into the inside of the case to the rest of the components(Res, Pump, Block/s). As for a CPU Block, there's many out there, but some good ones come from Swiftech, (I swear I'm not a fanboi )D-Tek, and EK.

EK Supreme seems to be the best one out there but its EXTREMELY restrictive, works best in a cpu only loop with a powerful pump(or 2, in series), for your needs I wouldn't recommend it. The other 2 big boys are the Swiftech GTZ and the D-Tek Fusion V2, performance wise the GTZ and Fusion are neck and neck, with a slight win to the GTZ for being less restrictive(which is good for your plan of CPU+NB).

Swiftech GTZ
D-Tek Fusion V2

As for the NB, I apologize but I do not know what fits on 780i Mobo's, hopefully someone else who knows can help you out.
Old November 19, 2008, 11:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Na it's ok man, it was my first build. My only concern is I have aftermarket coolers that take up an extra slot. It barely fit in the bottom of this case - I had to modify the case to get better airflow down there. I'm not sure whether they would even fit in another case, or if their is a case that does have more room there would be ideal. Here's a pic so you can see what I mean. If there would be a case that would have ample room on the bottom for my second card and be able to have built in water cooling, that would be ideal. I'd fork out more money for something like that.
I just bought this case last weekend in preparation for watercooling:

Cooler Master HAF 932 Case Review

Less expensive than an Antec!
Old November 19, 2008, 11:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Chilly - It's ok I've done my research for 780i blocks, there's only 2 or 3, I'll get am EK one. As for a CPU I'm gonna go with the GTZ simply because of flow. Pretty much everything will be swiftech except Antec fans I've used before. A question about the radbox, a friend of mine who's got a big WC setup said he couldn't get his 3 fans to fit on properly. He said the fans are super tight against each other right now let alone with the extra piece in between. Would that be a common problem or something that may just be exclusive to his aerocool fans? Anyways maybe I'll just suck it up have it not attached - setting it on top will be portable enough.

Magelan - Very nice case!
Old November 19, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Chilly - It's ok I've done my research for 780i blocks, there's only 2 or 3, I'll get am EK one. As for a CPU I'm gonna go with the GTZ simply because of flow. Pretty much everything will be swiftech except Antec fans I've used before. A question about the radbox, a friend of mine who's got a big WC setup said he couldn't get his 3 fans to fit on properly. He said the fans are super tight against each other right now let alone with the extra piece in between. Would that be a common problem or something that may just be exclusive to his aerocool fans? Anyways maybe I'll just suck it up have it not attached - setting it on top will be portable enough.

Magelan - Very nice case!
The Radbox is meant to be placed between the case and the computer, not to house fans. In any case I've never had an issue of my fans being tight against each other, I would put that down to the fans he has. Glad to hear your going for the "rad on top" method, its how my main PC is set up.

Old November 20, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nice setup. So you have the pump where the bottom 3.5 inch drive bays and the res in the extra 5.25 inch drive bays.

A couple questions -
1. How did you mount or secure the pump to the bottom of your case
2. How many 5.25 drive bays does the res fil - just trying to make sure I have ample room in there
3. Is there any Part I could buy so that When I run the tubing from the CPU to the NB that it could run straight. I mean like a part that would do a 90 degree turn immediately to the NB. Instead of a big loop going up vertically, it could run straight horizontally.
Old November 20, 2008, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Nice setup. So you have the pump where the bottom 3.5 inch drive bays and the res in the extra 5.25 inch drive bays.

A couple questions -
1. How did you mount or secure the pump to the bottom of your case
The pump comes with a sticky pad,I've got mine just stuck there using said sticker pad. That said, there are many ways it can be mounted, and mounting hardware is out for the pump. Trust me when I say you gotta have one in your hands before getting ideas how/where to mount it, for more than general idea anyways

Quote:
2. How many 5.25 drive bays does the res fil - just trying to make sure I have ample room in there
It takes up 2 bays, but I give it 3 bays worth of room so its easier for me remove and "top off/fill" it.

Quote:
3. Is there any Part I could buy so that When I run the tubing from the CPU to the NB that it could run straight. I mean like a part that would do a 90 degree turn immediately to the NB. Instead of a big loop going up vertically, it could run straight horizontally.
Sure, bitspower, among others, makes 45 and 90 degree barbs that screw directly onto the block, just ensure you get the correct threading to match the block(for example Swiftech GTZ uses G1/4 threading, make sure to buy G1/4 threaded barbs). You can get them on NCIX, PCS, and etc. Edit - As promised heres some pictures and links (pictures ARE the links)

Last edited by Chilly; November 20, 2008 at 09:31 PM.