Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/)
-   -   Advice needed on WC (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/water-cooling/11825-advice-needed-wc.html)

Jackquelegs November 15, 2008 05:04 AM

Advice needed on WC

Hey guys, I'm planning out my new WC setup.

PA 120.3 + Swiftech MCR320 (with Ultra kazes and Panaflos, sorry I got those rads cheap, couldn't resist)
DD CPX-Pro Pump
Primochill 1/2 ID 3/4 OD tubing 20 feet
D-TEK Fuzion V1
Swiftech MCW60
Swiftech MCW30 (maybe, still deciding)
Swiftech Micro-Res V1
Coolermaster CM690

It's going to be cooling an overclocked Q6600, and 4870. Possibly a northbridge.

I would like some opinions on:
1. If the pump is powerful enough
2. If should I move onto a bigger case like a HAF 932

I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Sniper November 15, 2008 05:29 AM

You could do one loop but 2 with 2 pumps would be much better imo. It's abit over kill with a triple rad on each but it'll keep it nice & cool. You won't need Ultra Kazes for either of those rads as they both are easy flowing. med fans at the most for either rad.

Babrbarossa November 15, 2008 09:12 AM

I would just use the pa120.3 and skip the other rad- especially if you're tying to squeeze them in that cm 690

Squeetard November 15, 2008 10:33 AM

Skip the mcw30. its a tiny block that is restrictive and there is no where to put it anyways on your heat pipe mobo. I have one and don't use it. I tried it on the southbridge thinking the heat pipe would cool the rest but it made no difference in northbridge temps.

magictorch November 15, 2008 11:18 AM

I'd be really careful using a core only block on the GPU as the 4870 gets pretty hot around the VRM's and the memory. If you do you'll, need good airflow over high quality heatsinks. For the VRMS I think the enzotech copper Mosfets will probably work quiet well although there are some other good other options out there. Personally I'd go full cover.

As for your loop I'm not sure you need two radiators yet for the cpu, nothbridge and GPU core. As Babs said use the PA120.3 mounted to the back with a radbox and some good fans. If you were using one or two gpus with a full cover block and NB block then another loop just for the quad cpu would be a good idea.

Supergrover November 15, 2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeetard (Post 112691)
Skip the mcw30. its a tiny block that is restrictive and there is no where to put it anyways on your heat pipe mobo. I have one and don't use it. I tried it on the southbridge thinking the heat pipe would cool the rest but it made no difference in northbridge temps.

+1

I have the mcw30 installed and it's not a very good block IMO, drops my NB 10c:sad:
right now idle my cpu is at 15c my NB is at 33c:doh:

Personally if you are dead set to watercool the NB there is waaaay better NB blocks out there.
I would do as Babs said drop the mcr320 and mount the 120.3 off the back.

Jackquelegs November 15, 2008 01:50 PM

Thanks for input so far guys! Awesome.

I doubt I'm going to spend the worth of another MCW30 on MOSFET coolers for the mobo. So NB cooling is out of the way.

I do have an accelero V1 lying around, and the ramsinks and vrmsinks are included. Just need my thermal tape.

In terms of mounting..I might be moving on to a HAF 932, and I might also pick up another CPX-pro pump :shok:

biff November 15, 2008 04:39 PM

The mcw30 ins't that bad... depending on what you need it for. I use one just so I don't have to run a fan on my NB and it's perfect for that since it has very low restriction. Also how are you getting your temps? on board sensors? If so there will always be some difference between the block temp and the onboard or on die temp sensors no matter how good the cooling solution - not including active coolers. That 15C CPU is pretty nice though... water chiller?

Jackquelegs November 17, 2008 04:34 AM

Well just an update on the situation, I cancelled the order for a PA 120.3, and will be picking up a Feser Xchanger 360 from TerenceJ. Also from him I will pick up a Fuzion V2.

It's going to get a bit more restrictive with the fuzion V2, and I'm seriously thinking of either purchasing another pump for dual loop, or save the cash and go for single loop (probably wouldn't make much of a difference)

I also got the go-ahead for a new case next month..likely to be the HAF 932, but still needs to be decided:haha:

zlojack November 19, 2008 08:16 PM

I've got a full set of brand new motherboard blocks for that board available if you're interested. I can't use them now that I'm going to i7