Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2008, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was under the impression that connecting the pump to the rad first was a good thing, because it would thus be delivering the coolest water to the blocks.
Old November 13, 2008, 04:00 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
I was under the impression that connecting the pump to the rad first was a good thing, because it would thus be delivering the coolest water to the blocks.
Correct, the best way is RES -> PUMP -> RAD -> BLOCKS

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 13, 2008, 04:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Head is head is head. All else being equal, I've never seen evidence to suggest that the order of components affects the pressure drop across each one, and it's the pressure drop, not the absolute pressure that allows the turbulence to happen. That said, the temperature difference between the fluid going in and out of a block is pretty minimal too, as long as you're maintaining good flow rates. So if putting the rad elsewhere in the loop makes things a lot simpler, I wouldn't sweat it too much.
Old November 13, 2008, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
Correct, the best way is RES -> PUMP -> RAD -> BLOCKS
Personal experience says otherwise, just do me a favour, and don't EVER hook the pumps outlet to the res. You lose all head pressure that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Head is head is head. All else being equal, I've never seen evidence to suggest that the order of components affects the pressure drop across each one, and it's the pressure drop, not the absolute pressure that allows the turbulence to happen. That said, the temperature difference between the fluid going in and out of a block is pretty minimal too, as long as you're maintaining good flow rates. So if putting the rad elsewhere in the loop makes things a lot simpler, I wouldn't sweat it too much.
I'll bend on this one, as long as your not doing something stupid such as connecting the output of the pump to a res(therefore losing effectively ALL the head), you *shouldn't* lose enough pressure to matter(with in a few C's anyways). ALWAYS go for the least amount of tubing/easy of routing possible.

Like I said personal experience says otherwise but that may have something to do with the fact that I'm rocking on a Cather Storm G5, which is a very head hungry block.
Old November 13, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, obviously never hook the pump outlet to the Res!!

But hooking it to the rad should be ok.
Old November 13, 2008, 05:17 PM
MVP

I never said to hook it to the outlet... However, always put a reservoir to feed the pump INLET or it will get starved and risk damaging the pump.

Proud to be [H]ard !
Old November 13, 2008, 05:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
I never said to hook it to the outlet... However, always put a reservoir to feed the pump INLET or it will get starved and risk damaging the pump.
You also never said anything about a res, I was agreeing with your points silly .

That said, yes, you wanna ensure a pump is always filled with water when you turn it on, otherwise you risk damaging the pump very easily.