Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2008, 04:40 PM
Rookie

Question WC block for EVGA 750i FTW board + WC parts?

:help:

Hi guys,

I just bought the EVGA 750i FTW board and to my dismay found that the NB is way too hot for a quad intel Q6600 at stock clock of 2.4 GHz. In fact the system hangs and crashes after 30 mins at half load. So, wondering if anyone has recently gotten over the problem with a WC setup?

0. it has to be quiet! This is my number one reason am doing this! My two other PCs have been running for 3 years at 12 DB or so in my room. I *love* peace and quietness.

1. Would like to find a NB block for the 750i FTW. All I could find are:
a. EK-NB 780i but there are no supplier in Canada and the US suppliers I could find online are out of stock plus it doesn t cover the SB
b. Viper John 780i SPP and Mosfet Kits Rev2 which is orderable but at a rather high price compared to the EK-NB 780i plus it doesn't cover the SB
c. Bitspower Black Freezer N790NS NB / SB 790i Chipset but nowhere to be orderable and unconfirmed if it indeed can slot on the 750i FTW
Any suggestions?

2. Would like to find an EK-SB VGA 790i Southbridge Water Block if 1.c. doesnt work.

3. What is G1/4? How does it relate to the Barb/Nozzle sizes (1/4 vs 3/4 vs 1/2)?

4. I was reading about metal corrosion inside a WC loop. In browsing NCIX and forums, it seems most waterblocks are made of copper or a mix of it. However, why are there no copper Barbs/Nozzles? Aren't nozzles part of the loop for corrosion (anodes and cathodes) excluding oxidation?

5. What's a good WB for an XFX 9800 GT PCIe card?

6. Finally, since I am quite a novice in WC, would anyone comment/advise on the following parts to get me started. The parts are from what I could gather are good from various readings online. Would greatly appreciate input, experiences and suggestions from the veterans. (see attachment on the bottom of this post or get it from the link)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...1&d=1226274415

From what I can gather, would having two loops (one dedicated to the NB and one for the CPU + 2 GPUs) work? Or would one loop do the trick? If one loop, would the pump above be enough?
Attached Images

Last edited by magelan; November 9, 2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old November 9, 2008, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I havn't had any problems overclocking on the 750i as far as temps go, I've had entirely stable runs up to 3.2ghz with very little vcore on my Q6600 G0. Only issue I've had with my oc is that I was getting problems with folding but I believe I've fixed that now and I think the problem was memory voltage. But as far as temps and hanging at load on an OC I found the actual problem was my FSB voltage and once I bumped that up a notch or two I never had the problem agian.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 9, 2008, 05:49 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I havn't had any problems overclocking on the 750i as far as temps go, I've had entirely stable runs up to 3.2ghz with very little vcore on my Q6600 G0. Only issue I've had with my oc is that I was getting problems with folding but I believe I've fixed that now and I think the problem was memory voltage. But as far as temps and hanging at load on an OC I found the actual problem was my FSB voltage and once I bumped that up a notch or two I never had the problem agian.
Interesting, isn't the NB stock EVGA fan noisier than an airplane on load? (noise + heat + crash = gotta go out for me)

Right now I have the mobo dismantled along with the stock NB/SB heatsink fan so testing your approach will have to wait. Though prior to this I was for the first time running Everest stability test and it would stop after 3 seconds. It appeared to be the NB faulting when the CPU reached 100% for those 3 seconds.
Old November 9, 2008, 06:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I never felt that mine was loud, although I have considered changing the whole thing out, it's just I havn't found any air cooling that would seem to fit properly and I had decided against WCing this build. It definitely could have been the NB faulting because in my experience the 750i's stock voltages wouldn't work for a mhz above 2.4ghz with my Q6600. I definitely had to step up the FSB voltages a bit to get it to even post; however I never had problems with temps. Mind you even though I've done Prime and OCCT for up to 48 hours with zero errors I did have a problem with BOINC getting errors when folding so it is possible too that I've also had temperature issues and maybe I could look into it some more as well.

Let me know when you get your WC parts and and see some results (good or bad), I wouldn't mind seeing a parts list because I've pretty much done nothing but benchmark this board since I've had it and havn't been 100% happy with it as far as stability in folding goes.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 9, 2008, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Edit:

Okay here is a good example that might help you out.

EK-NB 780i Northbridge Water Block
EK-SB VGA 790i Southbridge Water Block
Old November 9, 2008, 07:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That ViperJohn block is on sale at DirectCanada for uber cheap so if you want it, grab it quick.

Personally I'd go with Feser One over the Primochill stuff.

For your GPU, Swiftech MCW-60 or D-TEK FuZion GFX v2 I'd say. Unless you want to spend the money on a full cover block.

Reservoir, maybe the new Swiftech micro-res?

IMO I don't think the SB needs a block but that's up to you. Pretty sure an Enzotech heatsink + fan would do the job fine.
Old November 9, 2008, 08:03 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
That ViperJohn block is on sale at DirectCanada for uber cheap so if you want it, grab it quick.

Personally I'd go with Feser One over the Primochill stuff.
What would be the pro of Feser One over Primochill?

Quote:

For your GPU, Swiftech MCW-60 or D-TEK FuZion GFX v2 I'd say. Unless you want to spend the money on a full cover block.

Reservoir, maybe the new Swiftech micro-res?

IMO I don't think the SB needs a block but that's up to you. Pretty sure an Enzotech heatsink + fan would do the job fine.
The SB doesn't appear to be overheating from the various EVGA 750i forums I have visited. Am throwing it out there in case someone has experienced something bad about it. The Enzotech appears to do the job from the forums.

I emailed ViperJohn and he stated only revision 2 will work on the 750i FTW board. His direct price is on par after I include canadian tax and shipping. So he's my fallback option if I can't find any EK-NB 780i or Bitspower NB WB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Edit:

Okay here is a good example that might help you out.

EK-NB 780i Northbridge Water Block
EK-SB VGA 790i Southbridge Water Block
Yes, hence why I've marked both of them in my list of "Is there a Canadian or US supplier that has stock" (part 1. and 2.). Anyone know? Google doesn't give any results except for forum guys showing their signatures.
Old November 9, 2008, 08:32 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magelan View Post
What would be the pro of Feser One over Primochill?

Yes, hence why I've marked both of them in my list of "Is there a Canadian or US supplier that has stock" (part 1. and 2.). Anyone know? Google doesn't give any results except for forum guys showing their signatures.
Feser One has the best temperatures and least conductivity I believe from somebody's testing.

DangerDen 780i blocks:
Danger Den 780i North Bridge Chipset Block Products Model: DD-780I-NB [DD-780I-NB] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
Danger Den 780i South Bridge Chipset Block Products Model: DD-780I-SB [DD-780I-SB] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

EK 780i blocks:
EK-NB 780i Northbridge Water Block Products Model: EK-780I [EK-780I] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
EK-SB VGA 790i Southbridge Water Block Products Model: EK-SB VGA 790i [EK-SB VGA 790i] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

And this isn't the right ViperJohn block?
Viperjohn 790I Spp Chipset Water Block & Vcore Mosfet Heat Sink Kits G1/4 Support *No Barbs* - DirectCanada

Last edited by JD; November 9, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old November 9, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magelan View Post
Haha yeah my bad, I had forgotten which parts you mentioned when I found the pic/thread!

You do have me looking for WC parts for mine again though. ;/ haha
Old November 9, 2008, 09:31 PM
Rookie

Interesting for the Feser One. Are my barbs/nozzles going to fit the loop? Am concerned that I'm getting the wrong plugs.

Quote:
The problem I have with ViperJohn's solution is he doesn't have a solution for the SouthBridge. Though at that price of $25 instead of north of $100, I'm really leaning towards giving it a shot. But first, an email to ViperJohn is in order.

Has anyone successfully used the Danger Den WBs on the EVGA 750i FTW? I'm under the impression that the FTW is a new design different from the reference 780i board. My search during the week on various forums didn't have anyone mention the Danger Den. o.O