Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2008, 11:34 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Two PA120.3's Worth it?

Working on putting together a decent water cooling loop, and was just wanting some opinions, so far I have picked up so far a Single PA120.3, Six Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000RPM Fans, and Two MCP 655, a Swiftech GTZ Block, and thanks to Cadaveca, one (and soon to be two) 3870X2's with full coverage blocks.

I had planed to do something like Rez -> Pump -> CPU -> Rad -> Pump -> 3870X2 -> 3870X2 -> NB -> Rez

I am just wondering if it would be worth spending a little bit more to just split it into two loops, and do something like.

Rez -> Pump -> CPU -> NB -> Rad -> Rez (loop 1)
Rez -> Pump -> 3870x2 -> 3870x2 -> Rad -> Rez (loop 2)

Any help would be appreciated.
Old November 8, 2008, 12:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If you plan on running two pumps then yes run the CPU in it's own loop, it has the most to gain by being cool. The NB is hard to say, I'd probably put it on the GFX loop with the 120.3. BTW a 120.3 is WAY over kill for a CPU a double is lots. I have a E3110 OC'ed @ 4.15GHz with IIRC 1.425V and a single 86 Chevette heater core very easily handles that with a single fan running on slow speed. I'm sure your quad will dump more heat but I can't see it being a huge amount more. Of course all this depends on what your goals are.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old November 8, 2008, 12:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

This is what *I* would do, I would keep it in one loop but spilt it

**********/ -> Rad 1 -> Pump 1 -> 3870X2 \
NB -> Rez <****************************> -> CPU
**********\ -> Rad 2 -> Pump 2 -> 3870X2 /

**'s are just empty space

This will give you best of both worlds, by using 2 pumps, one on each "mini loop" segment you obtain full flow and full cooling power (no downside's that are usually associated with a parallel loop) on the respective loop, AND after the GPU's, the loops combine giving you incredible head pressure which is great for the semi restrictive GTZ block (advantage of having 2 pumps in system). It also elminates some (thou admitly not many) of the hassles of doing a full 2 loop system (only 1 res, less-ish tubing) while also emininating the issue that putting a heat dump like a NB sink usually introduces.

Now that being said I have never tried such a setup yet, I've only ever done the traditional 2/3loop system (1loop for CPU, one loop for GPU, 1 loop for everything else) but I belive it would be the best way to cool a system like yours, its a concept style Ive had written down for a little while and next time I do multiple loops again I want to try it and gauge its effectiveness. Theroeticly it should work very well.
Old November 8, 2008, 12:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

That loop would probably be best for keeping the vid cards very cool but will help warm up the cpu along the way. As long as OCing the CPU isn't the biggest concern then it looks good.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old November 8, 2008, 04:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I second that a PA120.3 is overkill for CPU only, but I dont know about 4 GPU on it + the CPU.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old November 8, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
This is what *I* would do, I would keep it in one loop but spilt it

**********/ -> Rad 1 -> Pump 1 -> 3870X2 \
NB -> Rez <****************************> -> CPU
**********\ -> Rad 2 -> Pump 2 -> 3870X2 /

**'s are just empty space

This will give you best of both worlds, by using 2 pumps, one on each "mini loop" segment you obtain full flow and full cooling power (no downside's that are usually associated with a parallel loop) on the respective loop, AND after the GPU's, the loops combine giving you incredible head pressure which is great for the semi restrictive GTZ block (advantage of having 2 pumps in system). It also elminates some (thou admitly not many) of the hassles of doing a full 2 loop system (only 1 res, less-ish tubing) while also emininating the issue that putting a heat dump like a NB sink usually introduces.

Now that being said I have never tried such a setup yet, I've only ever done the traditional 2/3loop system (1loop for CPU, one loop for GPU, 1 loop for everything else) but I belive it would be the best way to cool a system like yours, its a concept style Ive had written down for a little while and next time I do multiple loops again I want to try it and gauge its effectiveness. Theroeticly it should work very well.
Actually, in that configuration, the pump's head pressure won't stack, since they're in parallel. Their flow will stack, but with that many blocks in the system, it's not going to improve things as much as having the pumps in series would. You could also be looking at a tube-routing nightmare, since you need full lengths of tubing going to and from each water block to their respective pumps, plus the space needed for a pair of Y-fittings. Yeah, it'll work, but there are more efficient ways to lay things out.

@OP: You haven't purchased a second rad yet? What sort of room do you have to work with? If your budget is getting strained, the Swiftech rads are fairly easy on the wallet, and they're a lot closer in performance to the Thermochill rads than many people realize.
Old November 8, 2008, 12:26 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Budget is not a concern as I am peacing this thing together bit by bit, and have no real time table on getting it done.

Room should not be an issue as I am going to be order one of These.

The other thing I was looking at was possible getting a Feser One X-480 TFC Xchanger Quadruple 120MM Water Cooling Radiator G1/4 for the second rad, instead of another PA120.3
Old November 8, 2008, 12:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

Make sure you let MM know what fan spacing you want.
The PA.120.3 will handle those parts just fine, just get some high CFM fans for maximum cooling.

If you dont want noise and good temps, then get one more PA.120.3.
Put the cpu and nb on one loop and the 2 cards on the other.

Old November 9, 2008, 11:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Actually, in that configuration, the pump's head pressure won't stack, since they're in parallel. Their flow will stack, but with that many blocks in the system, it's not going to improve things as much as having the pumps in series would. You could also be looking at a tube-routing nightmare, since you need full lengths of tubing going to and from each water block to their respective pumps, plus the space needed for a pair of Y-fittings. Yeah, it'll work, but there are more efficient ways to lay things out.

@OP: You haven't purchased a second rad yet? What sort of room do you have to work with? If your budget is getting strained, the Swiftech rads are fairly easy on the wallet, and they're a lot closer in performance to the Thermochill rads than many people realize.
Yes your correct that head presure would not stack, I did not realise this till your insight, thou you can move the pumps to just before the cpu outside the split loops if you want/need the preasure (his GTZ should not). That being said my other reasons should stand, Tubing/Routing would still be less than a full 2 loop system, thats not to say there are other issues with my idea, but I belive it is preferable to(ie better than) a full dual loop system.

That all being said if you want to go with a tried and proven design I would recommend one of the 2 loop designs like this;

Single Loop:

Rez -> Pump -> Pump -> CPU -> 3870X2 -> 3870X2 -> NB -> Rad -> Rad

Dual Loop

Rez -> Pump -> CPU -> NB -> Rad
Rez -> Pump -> 3870x2 -> 3870x2 -> Rad

With a heavy lean towards a dual loop, BUT that all being said, I still think my original loop design would work best