Go Back   Hardware Canucks > CASES & COOLING > Water Cooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 2, 2008, 04:49 PM
Top Prospect

Default New to Water looking for advice

This is my modded Lian Li V600

This is it stock

As you can see I can mod so Im thinking of adding water. I would like to add a 240 on the side behind modders mesh and a 120 in the back if and when I need it.

Im looking for advice on what to buy. I want this to be a clean build all internal etc.

Last edited by Ken_C; November 2, 2008 at 05:21 PM.
Old November 3, 2008, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Really not a very good case for watercooling, but if I had that case and was determined to stick some watercooling in it, I'd probably go for something like this:
Attachment 3305
My MSPaint skills are only slightly better then my yodeling, but hopefully this gist of this comes through. The tubing is purple, the red box is a dual rad, the yellow box is the pump, and the blue is the airflow. The scale for the rad might be off, I can't quite tell is that's a 92mm or a 120mm fan on the back.

Basically, I'd grab a Swiftech MCR220-Res and stand it on it's end, with the fill port at the top. I'd try to avoid actually attaching it to the side panel, since it'll be difficult to make the tubing long enough to let me get the panel off easily, but short enough that it won't kink when the panel is on. A small bracket near the bottom is all that would be needed to keep the rad upright, unless you transport it regularly. Fans would be mounted on the inside, in a pull configuration. Together, the rad and fans would be about 7cm thick, which hopefully won't interfere with anything on the motherboard. This rad will also handle reservoir duties, saving you a lot of tubing and space, but it shouldn't be so tall that you can't access the fillport.

Directly in front of the rad, you'd have a compact water pump, such as either the DB-1, or the CPX-PRO, connected straight from the rad outlet by about an inch or two of tubing, with the outlet aimed straight up (vibration pad underneath). Again, this hopefully won't interfere with anything on the motherboard. From the pump outlet, go straight to the CPU/GPU. And from those components, come back down to the radiator again. You might need an elbow at the very end, depending on how well the tubing bends back into the radiator's inlet at the bottom.

3/8"ID 5/8"OD tubing would be highly recommended with this sort of setup, since it's compact and bendable, but doesn't kink easily. The performance hit from the smaller size will be minimal.

This is all just a possibility, but I think it could be made to work well, with a little patience and effort. If there was room, a single rad could possibly be added on the outlet fan, but it would be using the hot air that came in through the dual rad, and wouldn't be helping very much. It would also stick out a fair bit once you account for the fan, and would probably go against the 'clean' image you're aiming for.

Last edited by MpG; January 3, 2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old November 3, 2008, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

hey MpG.. can he not mount the rad on the top, with the barbs on the 5 1/4" bay side.. Then he can still put the pump where you have it, one of those Mcres Micro rev.2 (if available), could be nice and suitable. Or he can get one of those MCP355 with an additional top (pref one with a res), so he has a res and pump right there.

But kinda stupid of Lian Li, at least they could have put a 92 or 80mm fan on the back..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old November 3, 2008, 07:36 PM
Top Prospect

thanks for your suggestion but the MCR220 is 11.2in H so it woud interfer with the video card. with is 1.2 +1 say 2.5 thick to be safe. I could mount it upfront like the voodoo pcs and mount the powersupply vertically. Im leaning toward this. The fan on the back is a 120 for a second rad if need be.

here is a pic
Graphic: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 1000/1000
HDD:Kingston 128GB SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2 Gen 2 SSD
Monitor: HP w2408h
Power Supply: SilverStone Zeus ST85ZF 850W
Case: HP Blackbird

Last edited by Ken_C; November 3, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old November 3, 2008, 07:41 PM
Top Prospect

I will be testing when my rad arrives so keep the suggestions comming.
Graphic: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5850 1000/1000
HDD:Kingston 128GB SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2 Gen 2 SSD
Monitor: HP w2408h
Power Supply: SilverStone Zeus ST85ZF 850W
Case: HP Blackbird
Old November 3, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

seriously dude, do yourself a favour, if you want to go with water, get a case designed for water. that case is simply too small and tight to get a pump, resevour and rad in it and if you somehow get it all in there, you'll have to break it all down every time you want to even glimps the motherboard. Water hoses are very stiff and dont bend fer shi in tight places. Water cooling is a huge pain in the butt to begin with, compound that with a tight case an i think your first watercooling experience is going to be nasty.

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0
Old November 3, 2008, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

The rad will hit the video card? Damn, that case must be even smaller than I realized. It looks like there's enough clearance if you pressed the rad up against the sidepanel, away from the videocard. But if there isn't, there isn't. Your picture shows one of the larger Lian Li's, and the extra size makes things much easier. Things are going to be MUCH harder with your case.

With some work you can put the dual rad up front, but you'll only have one top bay left, and you might have to relocate your HDD rack as well. Again, a extra single rad at the back won't be as useful, because it will be using mostly warm air from the first radiator.

Miggs: A top mount would probably be best in this case, but because of the flipped orientation of the motherboard, it would have to bulge up quite a bit, which probably wouldn't count as 'internal'. *shrug* His call, of course.
Old November 3, 2008, 08:14 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The rad won't fit up front, the rad is too high and will hit the last 5.25 bay since you need at least one for the dvd reader. Also installing it up top is not a good idea - there won't be anymore airflow for the GPU.

I know the LiLis very well, having owned a few. Again, do yourself a favor and get a bigger one. Here's my V1000, with a PA120.2 / 38mm Panaflos.

Old November 3, 2008, 08:17 PM
Top Prospect

If I were you, i'd build an external loop, at least to start off with.
Temps are always better with an external VS an internal, until you get better anyway.

That's how I started!

Once you go internal, it get's complicated! Not un-do-able, but complicated!
The way I look at it, the less leak points inside a case, the better. Which means;
The inlet and outlet on your CPU block; everything else is outside the case.
(Over Top of / With a Drip Pan)
Attached Images

WC Loop: DD Cpx-Pro | HWL 240 Xtreme | D-Tek V2

Last edited by kirk_d; November 3, 2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old November 3, 2008, 09:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk_d View Post
If I were you, i'd build an external loop, at least to start off with.
Temps are always better with an external VS an internal, until you get better anyway.

That's how I started!

Once you go internal, it get's complicated! Not un-do-able, but complicated!
The way I look at it, the less leak points inside a case, the better. Which means;
The inlet and outlet on your CPU block; everything else is outside the case.
(Over Top of / With a Drip Pan)
PINK?? PINK?? DUDE... i thought i was the only one crazy enough to get the pink fluid lol

vista 64 on these rigs
Q9450 @ 3.5Ghz | E8400 @ 4.2Ghz
8gb Muskin Redline. | 2gb Kingston Hyperx
________________________________|_________________ ______________
EVGA 780i FTW ----\--||___||--/---- EVGA 780i SLI
Antec TP Quatro 1000W \ :==^==: / Antec TP Quatro 850W.
Nvidia 9800 GX2 X 2 SLI \|--o--|/ Nvidia 8800 GTS X 2 SLI
1X 500GB Western Digital. \_____/ 3X 150GB WD RAPTOR RAID-0